PDA

View Full Version : Boating with kids

Brightsbane
20-10-2011, 10:44 AM
Hi all,

I've been out of the boating/fishing game for a few years now since starting a family. My kids are now 4, 2 and 3 months.
I would love to get back out on the water as a family activity but I wonder if maybe my kids are a bit too young yet to enjoy the experience.
I would be looking to buy a half cabin between 17-20ft and would use it in the southern bay and maybe over to tangalooma now and then.
I'm aware of the new PFD laws and they would be in jackets full time anyway as safety on the water has always been a primary concern for me.

Does anyone have any advice regarding boating with kids this age? Would they enjoy it? Would I enjoy it?

Thanks,

Peter.

Richo1
20-10-2011, 10:57 AM
Hi Peter,
Boating with kids is great fun, the kids love it. I have a 1 year old & a 3 year old who both come out with now.
I started by letting them play in boat at home, then got them used to the sound of the motor which is a bit scary for them the first few times. Next step was a few small trips on the water moving slow then gradually going faster. Think the answer is too keep it fun, and head home or ashore for a bit when they have had enough. My little fella cries if I go out without him now!
Regards
Richo

Bogger
20-10-2011, 11:08 AM
72631i took my son 4 year old son out for a overnight trip on my 19ft boat ..we stayed on the boat over near tangalooma went fishing round the front ..he loved it . But i did make him go to sleep in his life jacket at home to get used to having it on for the whole trip...

Triple
20-10-2011, 11:09 AM
Agree with Richo.. Calm days and short trips at first and make sure you have lots of games/toys/treats to keep them entertained as kids minds get bored easily when not catching fish or playing on the sand or in the water etc and then it will turn your day sour quickly when they crack it. Get themused to wearing the pfd at home before you go. Is that a 3mth old or a 2yrs 3mths old? A 3mth old will be a pain for the other adult (mum?) as they would have to be held and monitored all day and it would take away the pleasure of boating/fishing (been there done that).

Brightsbane
20-10-2011, 11:28 AM
Some good advice there, thanks. The youngest is 3 months so it sounds like that might be a no-go for now. I might consider hiring a boat for a day and see how it goes first.

Argle
20-10-2011, 11:28 AM
Yep short trips with little ones - maybe over to say peel for a quick look around pull up on the beach play in the sand/swim/etc Pick your days and don't try and make it to regimented its meant to be fun, if they want to do nothing but play in the sand so be it. They will remember the day as a great one and they will keep coming back for more. Pack the yabby pump and watch the kids go mad trying to catch them - but be warned they usually want to take them home to keep not use for bait!!

Enjoy!

Dr DRIFT
20-10-2011, 12:42 PM
Yep kids and boats go hand in hand... im a big kid at heart...lol
I took my son out for the first time when he was 3months to watch the fireworks at new years... than slowly slowly started to do longer trips as we went along. I also started to let him play in the boat at home too, and now at the age off 2years 1month, he loves fishing, he loves boat rides and loves to pull anchor and go for a spin, Daddy daddy faster, fly fly(jumping waves).... He now plays every afternoon on the boat and you can just see him reinacting our last trip... Just need to keep them amussed as they do have short attention spans, let them pretend they are driving etc...even whilst at anchor... On really hot days, i fill up the bucket(tub) and let him wad in it whilst i am fishing...lol he loves it...
Three weeks ago my son for the very first time caught his first pinky and squid un assisted.... I am proud as punch let me tell you.... all i do for him is cast out and he will wait, when fish is on he can carry and wind in his own rod now! Than i net for him and de-hook.... he loves it and we love watching him do it.... I am lucky though as my missus also enjoys fishing so we do it on a regular basis....

Dr Drift...

tidemaster
20-10-2011, 02:34 PM
DVD player and favourite movies can be handy for the boring trips too.

Apollo
20-10-2011, 09:41 PM
I have been taking mine out for a few years (6&4) and the trick is to keep them active. Good sun protection, snacks, water and alternative options (games/books/colouring in/etc) are essential. I run a couple of outdoor bean bags in my boat on the floor out of the sun for them to play and sleep on when needed. Try to keep trips short to start with and select calm days until they get comfortable.

Well worth the effort as mine can now read sounders, steer and throttle the boat.

Steve

The_Tub
20-10-2011, 10:48 PM
hey fellas and girls

kids and the boat go to gether,i had a 5.5 half cab mustang to start them off,big heavy boat decent chop would not worry it,now the older boy's are good got something more fishable alot lighter but more stable,now i have a 2year old boy,just getting in the creeks slowly and moving up,keeping the jacket on him is an issue,wouldnt take the youngest through the bar yet but the others love it 32's 48,s or in close as long as there catching fish it's all good,as said before treats and things help,when i was young i never had computers and video games to entertain me i used to fish with a ice cream bucket on my head if it was raining,getting them out is good,the older boys love wave jumping now so do i

marty666
21-10-2011, 06:22 AM
My son is now 7 months old and we had him on the boat at about 2 and a half months, start them young and they get use to it quick cause they wont get sea sick from it so it is more so noise and boardom, now we just pack some toys for him and let him spread out and play while we fish and that keeps him happy for day trips. we have a new 1750 with extendard bimini and new motor so not so loud. but expect to cut a day short if they crack it because it is not worth pushing them too far cause then they will not like it at all

PADDLES
21-10-2011, 07:36 AM
i reckon family boating is one of the healthiest family activities you can do. your 3 month old is still pretty young but maybe you can justify taking that one if it means the other 2 are having a ball. personally i'd avoid fishing at first and simply use the boat for day trips to access the beautiful beaches like moreton's western beaches or peel as argle has suggested. make yourselves comfortable too, ensure whatever you buy has plenty of shade and protection for the trip home, i can also recommend somewhere for the grubs to sneak a snooze in on the way home too. any of the half cabins around 20 foot would fit the bill nicely.

Reef Cruiser
22-10-2011, 06:36 AM
i have a cruise craft reef ranger 5.5 ..i have a little boy that i have been taking to the reef 30 kms out since he was 1 now he is four ...put it this way if i take the boat out and he is not in it ..he gives mum a hard time all day till i get home then it is my turn for not taking him in the boat , the only time i have a problem is when i land a fish bigger than he is and it is flopping around in the boat he gets a little bit scared of the fish . becouse of its size

Brightsbane
21-11-2011, 12:01 PM
We ended up getting a 17ft Sportsmancraft H/C with 90hp Honda. We had our first day out in it yesterday (out from Cabbage Tree Pt down to Slipping Sands) and everything went well and the kids had a ball. We certainly put a lot of the below advice to good use as the kids were never bored, never complaining and half the time you just couldn't wipe the smiles off their faces. The only time there was a problem was when my 4 y/o had to release the 22cm bream he caught (first fish ever!) because he wanted to take it home :( .
I was a bit worried about launch and retrieval but somehow that all just came together nicely.
I can't wait for the next trip. Ya gotta love boating!

PADDLES
21-11-2011, 02:10 PM
good stuff peter, there's nothing about a boat ride and a day at the beach that kids don't like. the only down side is the bank balance when they all decide they need a bigger boat.

Midnight
21-11-2011, 08:32 PM
My little baby girl has been away with us in our boat since she was 4 weeks old. She sleeps like a baby :) when we are under way.

She will grow up not knowing any different.