PDA

View Full Version : Compass Bracket Mystery

nautimax
19-10-2011, 10:41 AM

Hello all...been looking to replace missing compass but not sure which model Plastimo/Richie or other would be compatible with the bracket on my boat - have browsed online but the specs do not show brkt mount details. Has anyone got the same brkt? The words - PRUA BOW are stamped on top side with a 12V led light lower side. Appreciate your feedback thanks.

Heath
19-10-2011, 03:35 PM
Have you taken the bracket off & seen if there is anything underneath?

nautimax
19-10-2011, 05:01 PM
Have you taken the bracket off & seen if there is anything underneath?
...just did it then, but no markings at all on underside...:(

tunaticer
19-10-2011, 05:34 PM
Would not the new compass come with its own mount to replace the old one?

nautimax
19-10-2011, 07:25 PM
Would not the new compass come with its own mount to replace the old one?

I am sure they do Jack...maybe if I know the hole pattern on a new one I could save poking new holes on the console - prob covered by the new one but the old holes will still there :(...btw what sort of compass do you have?

tunaticer
19-10-2011, 09:51 PM
I did have a Suunto gimbal mounted compass, but it died a decade ago, now I have a previous version of this in the dry box as backup for when the GPS shits itself.
https://www.whitworths.com.au/main_itemdetail.asp?item=30004&search123=COMPASS&intAbsolutePage=1
I do not go offshore anymore, so the chances of needing it are pretty slim now, but it is there just in case.

https://www.whitworths.com.au/main_itemdetail.asp?item=29039&search123=COMPASS&intAbsolutePage=1 similar to the one i broke

nautimax
19-10-2011, 10:50 PM
Cheers Jack...that Suunto looks ideal for a goto when gps conks out...1deg graduations too. I am beginning to think that chances are, the old compass that's missing on my boat is a Plastimo - just a gut feeling since all the accessories that came on the boat are brands sold here...looking at the Plastimo compasses, the size/design of the base looks like it may be one that you slide onto a brkt and clip locks in, you wouldn't remember how you attach and detach this compass by any chance? Was it permanently mounted or removable?

nautimax
19-10-2011, 11:44 PM
:) I just found out that "PRUA" means BOW in Italian or Spanish...hahaha!...so this side of the bracket is mounted inline to the bow of the boat.