PDA

View Full Version : Etec V 4stroke in 25 HP

rossco
19-10-2011, 08:12 AM
Would like your thoughts on Etec V 4 stroke in 25HP please?

Cheers rossco

Chimo
19-10-2011, 09:47 AM
Hey rossco

Abbreviation for versus = Vs

Cheers
Chimo

lethal098
19-10-2011, 10:10 AM
Rossco,

Personally they are very very similar in price and performance and fuel usage, The biggest thing for me is maintenance on them, I would hands down go the Etec rather than the 4 stroke for this very reason. But the biggest thing is look for the aftersales service in your area and who you would rather have look after it.

Cheers Lee

Scott Ashe
19-10-2011, 10:49 AM
Hi Rosco,

I had a 25 Yamaha 4 stroke on my last boat (410 Allycraft Rhino) with push button elec start and ptt for 2 years since 2007. I was quite happy with it and the only reason I sold it was because Allycraft released it's 425 reelmate, with all the extras.(casting deck, anchor well, sidepockets etc.) The only thing I could complain about with the motor was it only had the trim switch on the side of the motor and you had to reach around to use it. The extra cost's to service didn't worry me as my boat is my only expense. I am even happier with my 30 3 cylinder now. (all on tiller handle).I sold my Rhino to one of my best mate's parents and they are just as happy with it now as when they bought it, and have taken it to hervey bay etc. Wynnum marine will look after you.
Cheers
Scott

Shawn 66
19-10-2011, 01:12 PM
Hi Rosco,

I had a 25 Yamaha 4 stroke on my last boat (410 Allycraft Rhino) with push button elec start and ptt for 2 years since 2007. I was quite happy with it and the only reason I sold it was because Allycraft released it's 425 reelmate, with all the extras.(casting deck, anchor well, sidepockets etc.) The only thing I could complain about with the motor was it only had the trim switch on the side of the motor and you had to reach around to use it. The extra cost's to service didn't worry me as my boat is my only expense. I am even happier with my 30 3 cylinder now. (all on tiller handle).I sold my Rhino to one of my best mate's parents and they are just as happy with it now as when they bought it, and have taken it to hervey bay etc. Wynnum marine will look after you.
Cheers
Scott
Scott ,
I had the same motor as you , all your dealer had to do was fit an alternate switch for the trim , anywhere you were operating the motor from . Mine was fitted to the side of the gunwhale(spelling) .
Shawn

rossco
20-10-2011, 10:10 AM
Thanks guys, not sure which way i will go atm, are they both good for tolling?

Cheers rossco

Shawn 66
20-10-2011, 12:42 PM
Thanks guys, not sure which way i will go atm, are they both good for tolling?

Cheers rossco

Rossco ,
Can only speak for the Yammy , but it was bloody great .
Shawn

Jabba_
20-10-2011, 08:23 PM
Im bias, and like the E-tec's a lot.. The E-tec would be the better motor for trolling, without doubt.. I like the micro adjustable rpm switch, with can adjust your rpm's up or down 20rpm's each push off the button..

Here is a boat test review on the 25 E-tec.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALzNmr4ngLU

Shawn 66
21-10-2011, 03:00 AM
Im bias, and like the E-tec's a lot.. The E-tec would be the better motor for trolling, without doubt.. I like the micro adjustable rpm switch, with can adjust your rpm's up or down 20rpm's each push off the button..

Here is a boat test review on the 25 E-tec.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALzNmr4ngLU
Which is also available on the Yammy ,( I am led to believe ).
Shawn

Jabba_
22-10-2011, 06:53 AM
Here is a Yamaha 25 Boat test review.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBOQdDPd3Bg

Playtime
22-10-2011, 09:52 AM
Rossco
I have a merc 30 HP 4 st, and while it hasn't given me any trouble, next time I wouldn't go a 4 stroke at this size. The merc pushes my 4.0 metre hornet, and dispite different propping I am still underwhelmed by the time taken to plane the boat and top speed given it is max rated HP for this boat. If I had my time again, I would stick to a brand that offered a efi 2 stroke, or an etec. I haven't owned an etec before at all, and don't consider myself particularly brand loyal to any of the outboard brands (before the merc 4 st I had a yammie which was a good motor), but think carefully about 4 strokes in this power range. I now put many more hours on my minn Kota more than the outboard anyhow, and for the cost savings between the 2 and 4 you could even buy the new ipilot! Btw, the 30 merc and the 25 merc are the same block 4 stroke, hence the comparison to my situation.

Back to your question of 4 stroke versus etec at 25 hp, I would go the etec (or any efi 2 stroke in this power rnge)