PDA

View Full Version : Gladstone harbour red spot

randell
16-10-2011, 08:02 AM
I saw this in the Sunshine Coast daily saturday 15 oct.
http://www.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au/story/2011/10/13/disease-wipes-out-fishos-catch/

a lot of wasted time effort and fish.
randell

gunna
16-10-2011, 12:17 PM
Makes you realize just how many went over the wall when they are still getting these catches. I am surprised there has not been any talk about the Awoonga fish possibly introducing red spot.

MudRiverDan
16-10-2011, 02:06 PM
Funny how the Government lets people fall through the cracks after they declared the harbour suitable for fishing.
Every fish infected but who reopened the harbour?

tunaticer
16-10-2011, 03:17 PM
As a professional fisherman I would expect he would have noticed the red spot infestation as he was removing them from his nets. Probably thought it would be worth a shot trying to sell the diseased fish in hope of a paycheque. To be fair, I would not judge him for trying for a cheque, but the likelihood of it being accepted would be near zero. At least the rest of the fishermen in the area will know it is not acceptable and will not try to offer up diseased fish.

Greg001
18-10-2011, 06:53 AM
I think you'll find he was not trying to sell the fish, he has to bring infected fish back to shore to be disposed of to try and stop it spreading. Also to bring it to the attention of Fisheries Qld that the infection is still in the harbour.

Greg

Triple
18-10-2011, 07:26 AM
I think you'll find he was not trying to sell the fish, he has to bring infected fish back to shore to be disposed of to try and stop it spreading. Also to bring it to the attention of Fisheries Qld that the infection is still in the harbour.

Greg

He brought the catch back to Gladstone Fish Market.
At the fish market, Simon Whittingham was left with no choice but to reject the entire catch, since the fish had red-spot disease.
There were also a handful of sharks and other species, which were also rejected because of a strange discoloured rash.
Mr Whittingham, visibly upset by having to reject the catch, said the catch would have been worth about $4,000 for the commercial fisherman.

By this report it sounds like he tried to sell them to me?? As stated WHO OPENED THE HARBOUR? What scientific data allowed them to do that when it is obvious to everyone involved in the industry up there that it is still a problem?

So if a fisherman finds redspot, are they NOT allowed to release the fish?

TheGurn
18-10-2011, 09:28 AM
I was just wondering the same thing.

Can a fish recover from red-spot, or is every case fatal?

NAGG
18-10-2011, 09:38 AM
I was just wondering the same thing.

Can a fish recover from red-spot, or is every case fatal?

From my understanding this is a natural occurrence associated with the influx of fresh water - you do see it in the dams - and with escapees ( bass & barra) ........... but is this exactly the same thing ????? - Dunno ! but clearly the system should have remained closed

Chris

Horse
18-10-2011, 06:50 PM
Just think of the value to rec fishing those 65 Barra could have brought. Perhaps its time to look at making Barra a noncommercial catch south of say Rocky and try to build a wild barra fishery like the NT. I bet that would bring more $ to QLD than does the commercial effort

tunaticer
18-10-2011, 08:49 PM
Just think of the value to rec fishing those 65 Barra could have brought. Perhaps its time to look at making Barra a noncommercial catch south of say Rocky and try to build a wild barra fishery like the NT. I bet that would bring more $ to QLD than does the commercial effort

Why can't there be a commercial fishery and a recreational fishery for barra south of Rocky? Personally, I could not be bothered going to one of the dams to catch a farmed barra, I would rather hit the rivers to chase jacks or close inshore chasing mackeral. I can't understand why barra are the target for a massive tourism fishery when there are dozens of other fish in the area that have good attraction.

Horse
19-10-2011, 06:01 AM
Why can't there be a commercial fishery and a recreational fishery for barra south of Rocky? Personally, I could not be bothered going to one of the dams to catch a farmed barra, I would rather hit the rivers to chase jacks or close inshore chasing mackeral. I can't understand why barra are the target for a massive tourism fishery when there are dozens of other fish in the area that have good attraction.
To me there is something very special about a big Salty. Many people are willing to devote a lot of time and money trying to catch one. If we could set up a viable fishery as in the NT but with the infrastructure of say the Wide Bay /Central Coast Regions I think we could be on a tourism winner bringing valuable dollars to these communities. Jacks and Mackies are fine fish but I doubt that too many Southerners would pay the dollars to come here to nail a few

Bros
19-10-2011, 08:30 AM
Have a Captain Cook here. http://www.gladstoneobserver.com.au/story/2011/10/19/gladstones-red-spot-confusion/

rumy1
20-10-2011, 07:27 PM
I want to take the kids crabbing in and around Gladstone this week-end, what do you all think? Is it safe or should I not risk it??? I won't be too far from the harbour, this all really sucks.