PDA

View Full Version : Dumping Ground ?

jighead
15-10-2011, 07:22 AM
Hi Guys
The other night i watched a program on pay tv about decaying ammunition dumps around the world. These contained everything from bullets to lost nuke war heads. At the end of the program it stated that at the end of WW2 the Americans dumped 50,000 lbs of chemical weapons in the waters off Brisbane.
Does anybody have any more info on this ?. It sure as hell scared the crap out of me. >:(
Cheers Mal

honda900
15-10-2011, 07:37 AM
Jighead

East of cape moreton, there is a military exercise area, I believe that is the dumping ground. it is in 2klm deep water.

Regards
Honda.

jighead
15-10-2011, 08:03 AM
Thanks Honda
Just a matter of when that decays and starts leeching out.!!!
God bless America

jason p
15-10-2011, 09:13 AM
when i was working on a prawn trawler we would some times bring up old ww2 rubbish, parts of planes, BOMBS. nothing gets that adrenaline going quicker than having an old unexploded ordnance bashing the side of a boat whilst you are trying to cut it out of the net:huh2::worried2::shout:.

jp

charleville
15-10-2011, 09:39 AM
when i was working on a prawn trawler we would some times bring up old ww2 rubbish, parts of planes, BOMBS. nothing gets that adrenaline going quicker than having an old unexploded ordnance bashing the side of a boat whilst you are trying to cut it out of the net:huh2::worried2::shout:.

jp

Was that about the time that you discovered the serenity of the teachings of the Dalai Lama?

;D;D;D

jason p
15-10-2011, 10:14 AM
it was more than likely when the wife said she wanted a daughter.:)

jp

tunaticer
15-10-2011, 10:31 AM
It is known as Dedge Reef?? and is roughly 38km ENE of Cape Moreton from memory, around 2km deep. 850 tons of mustard gas was part of the spoils.
There are several sites around Aus with similar ordinances.

The US Army dumped the following Chemical Weapons from the Darra Ordnance Ammunition Depot, at a location about 25 miles from Cape Moreton at 90 degrees between 2 October and 20 December 1945. It is believed they were dumped at the 100 Fathom line off the coast rather than at the 500 Fathom line as recommended by the US technical experts:-

876 containers of mustard

93 containers of lewisite

8,000 tons of adamsite candles

75mm, 105mm and 155mm projectiles containing an unidentified gas

314 drums (55 gallons) of CNS

432 drums (55 gallon) of CNB

The US Army carried out a second sea dumping of 7,996 tons of Chemical Weapon projectiles and small arms ammunition from Darra Ordnance Ammunition Depot at an undisclosed location on an unknown date

tunaticer
15-10-2011, 10:58 AM
www.hydro.gov.au/n2m/dumping/cwa/chemical.pdf

www.hydro.gov.au/n2m/dumping/cwa/chemical.xls

tunaticer
15-10-2011, 11:00 AM
If you search deep enough the coordinates are recorded.
It would be very interesting to know if the Centaur search uncovered any of the munitions, the areas of the search overlapped the munitions disposals.

jason p
15-10-2011, 12:23 PM
wow thats some scary stats. would it be safe to belive that after fifty odd years the containers holding these chemicals would have already broken down, and the chemical has already dispersed through OUR water ways? or is this something we have to look forward too:uhoh:.

jp

PinHead
15-10-2011, 12:44 PM
I doubt anyone really knows where all those WWII weapons ended up..some shells were found near Chinchilla a few years back...I think they had some remnants of chemicals in them.
Look at Peregian beach area..when i was a kid there were signs all through that way..no entry..WWII bombing range..could still be ordinance in there..and now there are heaps of houses there.
I can also remember often hearing about trawlers hooking onto old WWII mines in the bay at times.

jason p
15-10-2011, 01:18 PM
i worked on a boat named "tweed river" skippered by gordo, we would occasionally work along side a boat called "sara emma"skipper bill. it was a rare occurence to bring up ww2 debris but it did happen, several times over the years between us. i recall some time ago that bill had a shell on his sorting tray and he called it in, he was ordered to stay put and wiat for the bomb squad to come out and remove it from the boat, it was broadcast over the local news, a real pain in the ars for bill though. i wasnt aware back then that there was cwa, just as well, as i would have been stressing all these years about any pos effects (about 15 odd years ago).
man people are doing a good job of screwing the planet up, when we we learn..:-?

jp

jason p
15-10-2011, 01:29 PM
pinhead theres still signs up around marcus beach area. some of the land has been released for residential sites, and it has been put on the new owner of the land to have it cleard of any possible shells etc. typical gov, contaminate the land, sell it off, and make them clean it up. wtf.

jp

pescados
15-10-2011, 03:06 PM
Funny how they never dump their crap in their own back yard, always in somebody else's.
Same with the French, they would not explode their crap in the Bay of Bisque but had no hesitation doing it in the pacific. >:(

trev1
22-01-2012, 08:14 PM
Just watched a doco about a sunken ship in one of the main shipping channels in England, full of so much explosives that they are afraid to even contemplate what to do with it 60 years on. At low tide, the top of the bridge comes clear of the water. Apparently if they detonate it it would be the biggest non nuclear detonation ever done. If memory serves, approx 20,000 tons torpex.

Crunchy
22-01-2012, 08:33 PM
Funny how they never dump their crap in their own back yard, always in somebody else's.
Same with the French, they would not explode their crap in the Bay of Bisque but had no hesitation doing it in the pacific. >:(

No, the sepos have been known to crap in their own back yard too. Came across this when was on google earth looking for interesting O/S fishing spots. See section 5.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farallon_Islands

Tailortaker
22-01-2012, 08:59 PM
Does anyone remember about 20 years ago a trawler picked up a ww2 bomb off Bribie ? they detonated it off Gilligan's Is. I was at high school at the time and it shook the hell out of Bribie !

chris69
22-01-2012, 09:15 PM
Gee thats old news that the dump is on the 80fathom line east of cape but after the veitnamese started trawling out wide the dragged then all over the place, they bought in a 500lb bomb and the waterpolice put it there rubber ducky and detinated it of mud theres also a ammo bardge around a km off the measured mile leads and at least there bene no mustard gas containers showing up any more the last one was on bribie many years ago.

pescados
23-01-2012, 02:29 PM
Thanks Honda
Just a matter of when that decays and starts leeching out.!!!
God bless America

Yeah funny how they never dump it in their own backyard.
Like the French exploding stuff under water in French Polynesia,
wish they do it in the Bay of Bisque (their own backyard).

ovakil
23-01-2012, 04:04 PM
Gee thats old news that the dump is on the 80fathom line east of cape but after the veitnamese started trawling out wide the dragged then all over the place, they bought in a 500lb bomb and the waterpolice put it there rubber ducky and detinated it of mud theres also a ammo bardge around a km off the measured mile leads and at least there bene no mustard gas containers showing up any more the last one was on bribie many years ago.

I have dived the ammo barge,did collect a few bullets

PinHead
23-01-2012, 04:06 PM

they dumped it at the end of WWII..I wonder why they would have dumped it then..I wonder why they would even have it here?
That's right..they thought we were under threat from the Japanese so they sent a huge army navy and airforce over to assist in stopping them..and you want to whine about them dumping some ordnance. Absolutely amazing.

steve harney
24-01-2012, 01:20 PM
When we were kids!! we rode down to Hamilton/ Eagle Farm, Pinkenba near the old wharfs on our pushys and at low tide we pick all sorts of old ammo up, small ones large shells etc etc. we use to fill a old bags full, throw it over the shoulder and go back home!! Lay it all out & pull the ends off dig out the gun powder dry it off and fill the green ant nests holes on the olds man front lawn, and light her up!! The old man allways wondered what was going on, with the lawn fun times and used the ends for our shang eye's?? ever see what happens when u hit a old 303 with a hammer!! or try explaining to the the cops & neighbors and the old man when you put a hold bag of the stuff in the incinerator down the back we had those old bullets going off for 2 days blew the incinerator to bits, gee I coped a flogging from the old man that day, after getting taken down the cop station and grilled out we were about 10 years old, I still don't know how we are still alive!! But I reckon if you go down there today they will be still there.
Steve

chris69
24-01-2012, 03:54 PM
Ha there Steve them were the good old days when kids were kids, did similar things to you,lol