PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Model Striper 2101 Has Arrived!

Boat Hog
15-10-2011, 07:02 AM
After 3 months and 20 days of waiting, I picked up our new 2101 Striper from the dealer yesterday!;D

I turned up there at 9.30am and saw the boat for the first time (insert mushy orchestral sounds here!). Yes I'm in love.

The boat is the new 2012 model ... which is a bit of a shock as I didn't know it was going to be next years model. Neither did the dealer, until they took the plastic wrapping off!!:o My initial reaction was ... huhh that's not the boat we ordered ???

Gone is the annodised alloy hard top supports - now powder coated white.
Flashy gold annodised rod holders replaced with matching white powder coated.
Helm area changed from white gel coat to dark charcoal gel coat.
New decals on hull and probably a few other cosmetic changes that I haven't spotted yet.

There was a few minor problems sorting out the towing connections, but the dealer did everything they could and fixed that up.

Am I happy ..... ohhh yeahh !!! Happy as a pig in the proverbial!8-);D

Boat will be going to Grand_Marlin (Pete), who is going to work some magic in the electronics and fit out department. Don't forget the Ausfish discount Pete ;)

Cheers,

Marlin_Mike
15-10-2011, 07:07 AM
Yooouuu son of a bitccccccccccccchhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!! I am soooooo jealous. Nice rig mate

Mike

Tangles
15-10-2011, 07:09 AM
Mate, well done,

Awesome boats and you will have a blast in her, enjoy. So what goodies is going in her?

mike

Boat Hog
15-10-2011, 07:17 AM
Thanks mike, and mike ..

Simrad NSS 8 (x 2)
Broadband 3G Radar
Airmar 1Kw Through Hull Transducer
Icom VHF
and a few 'bits and pieces'

Fed
15-10-2011, 07:18 AM
Great looking boat mate, a lot more pics when you settle down eh?

Tangles
15-10-2011, 07:25 AM
Thats some nice gear going in her, I looked at those new Simrads last week, had me thinking, it will be a weapon for sure.

Boat Hog
15-10-2011, 07:27 AM
Great looking boat mate, a lot more pics when you settle down eh?

Thanks Fed, only had the phone with me. Will post more photos when finished.

Cheers,

honda900
15-10-2011, 07:41 AM
Mate, nice boat, enjoy..

Regards
Honda

Bull
15-10-2011, 08:11 AM
Very nice Jim. I bet your just itching to get her in the water.
Cheers Brett

No Fear
15-10-2011, 09:12 AM
Nice looking rig there....gotta love when you get an upgraded version of what you order......You might as well tell Pete to order two of those Simrads - one for my Project Boat. Been watching the promotional material on them and they look sensational!!!
Great looking boat, cant wait to see the final fitout and also how they travel in the choppy water.

frankgrimes
15-10-2011, 09:32 AM
Mate - verrrry nice!!! (Yes I am jealous!)....and Pete will do a cracker of a job with fitout.

Mick

fisho8
15-10-2011, 09:53 AM
Very nice mate I am a big fan of the Stripers very good fishing and family rig many good times ahead that is for sure and you have to love the fact that you got the 2012 model they must have sold quite a few to give you the upgraded one. I love that Red one Cunninghams have down there.

jason p
15-10-2011, 09:54 AM
very nice looking rig mate. you wont be able to wipe that smile of ya face for a while ay, like a teen after his first ....
no multiroller trailer?

jp

Boat Hog
15-10-2011, 10:14 AM
Thanks fish08,

Very nice mate I am a big fan of the Stripers very good fishing and family rig many good times ahead that is for sure and you have to love the fact that you got the 2012 model they must have sold quite a few to give you the upgraded one. I love that Red one Cunninghams have down there.

I have no idea how I got the 2012 model (One US dealer reported getting their first shipment in the first week of September). But it definately is the boat that I ordered (colour etc).

Boat Hog
15-10-2011, 10:21 AM
very nice looking rig mate. you wont be able to wipe that smile of ya face for a while ay, like a teen after his first ....
no multiroller trailer?

jp

Thanks jp, yeah its a bunk trailer (wasn't actually given the option when ordering and was too stunned to consider it when my good lady said yes, order that boat! - I am still in shock) so no shallow launch sites for me. The plus side is less moving parts to maintain.!!

Cheers,

Ohhh .. and yeah ..... ;D;D;D;D;D;D;D;D

PinHead
15-10-2011, 12:32 PM
you won't be disappointed with the Striper.

Greg P
15-10-2011, 12:39 PM
Nice rig mate. What does it weigh? Must be close to the Prado limit??

Boat Hog
15-10-2011, 12:58 PM
Nice rig mate. What does it weigh? Must be close to the Prado limit??
Thanks Greg, the capacity plate on the trailer is 2358kg. The Prado is rated to 2500kg, and it has upgraded suspension with air bags. Tows it well (tho I haven't had it up any steep hills yet!).

Cheers,

OPTI
15-10-2011, 01:45 PM
nice boat mate ,id be looking at the chirp transducers that suit the nss,you might as well get the latest gear .well done.;D

tenzing
15-10-2011, 03:25 PM
NICE NICE NICE.
Looks great Jim.
Pete will have it flash as in no time. That Simrad gear looks really great too.
Please post some pics and a review of the gear when you have had a chance to have a play ( You lucky bastard)
Well done on the choice too.
Cheers
Brendan

Boat Hog
15-10-2011, 04:05 PM
Hey thanks opti and tenzing.

Opti, I considered the Chirp transducer, but I couldn't justify the spend on the Broadband Sounder Module 2 (BSM2) at over $3k plus the transducer an extra $800 on top of the standard 1kw. Plus we don't fish that deep (I'm working on persuading the deckie otherwise;)).

The NSS7 and 8 come with built in BSM1, if I had the room for the NSS12 then the chirp set up would be less of a jump in price, considering the need to connect it with either the BSM1 or 2. I like the idea of the chirp and it's potential to not scare fish off with it's promise that it "Whispers into the water".

Tenzing, I will definately post some pics and do a review of all the gadgets.

:exclamation:I will, of course, give Grand_Marlin (Pete) first pick at doing a write up about the fit up if he wishes to. Plus Pete can answer any questions about the gear, that I would have to look up myself until I get some experience with it:lost:.

Cheers,

the baker
15-10-2011, 10:31 PM
That is going to be sex on the water...... one hell of a rig

Dave.

pilchardjones
16-10-2011, 01:43 PM
beautiful looking boat - great colour too.
steve

Grand_Marlin
28-10-2011, 03:20 PM
Well, Jim droped her off and said he would be back in the morning to pick her up :o

.... right ....

We sat down and finalised the list of toys to go in her and Jim added a couple of things, then a couple more things... then he said "Thats it, no more" ... then he rang me on his way home and added some more things ;D

In the end, we did manage to get it all to fit in the boat!

So Gents, here is the first look at the finished product "Black Magic"

Grand_Marlin
28-10-2011, 03:28 PM
One of the first things we noticed was the dash.
It has a big cutout section that resembles more of a seat, not a nice flat area to mount electronics.
There was a lot of head scratching going on wondering what the hell we were going to do with it...

Grand_Marlin
28-10-2011, 03:39 PM
So, we did what we knew how to do best... went and had a beer :beer:

Jim specified that he wanted Simrad NSS Touch Screens in the boat, and a great choice he made - the new NSS screens are awesome.
The idea was to fit the biggest screens we could, so here is what we came up with.
Two Simrad NSS8 screens on custom brackets, one raised and sitting behind the other.
We only had millimetres to play with all round... it took a bit of time and it was a nightmare to install, but I was happy with the result.

Grand_Marlin
28-10-2011, 03:58 PM
To the list of Simrad gear we added the 3G BR24 Radar that has no emissions for health reasons, coupled this to the RC42 rate compass to give radar overlay capability on the GPS screen, an Airmar B164 1Kw thru hull transducer, LSS-1 Structure Scan and finally networked all the units together via Ethernet and NMEA 2000 so as either screen can display anything you want it to.

We fitted an Icom M-412 VHF and Pacific Pro Aerial for optimum reception when out wide.

We also suggested changing the rotary battery switch over to the BEP CLuster with VSR for automatic charging and battery management.
Jim thought this was a great idea as it keeps his battery banks separate and eliminates the chance of flattening both batteries when he is out on his extended long range trips.

The standard features on the Striper is excellent, with lights in the cabin, deck, spots and live bait tank lights all as standard.
It has beautiful leather cabin lining, a sink and stove and a porta potti all as standard.

We did a few extra things like check all the factory wiring which wasn't too bad, run a new 10mm cable to bus bars behind the dash so as the main feed has the ability to easily run all the electronics without voltage drop, relocated the fuel filter so you can see it and get at it and we put a Racor glass bowl & element on as well.
Then we added a cabin fan, a stainless reef pick holder on the bow and relocated the anchor light so as the radar could be mounted.

Jim opted to upgrade to a Rocna Rock & Reef Anchor for the best anchor holding capability available. Seriously guys, check these things out, they are a cut above the rest of the anchors on the market.
Then to top it off we designed and fitted the Black Magic stickers (with Mrs Jim's approval)

This has all gone together to give a pretty impressive boat!
Well done Jim, I have no doubt you will enjoy.

Cheers

Pete

fishfeeder
28-10-2011, 05:01 PM
The dash looks weird why would they do something like that in the design of the boat, But Pete you made it work and it ended up looking great..
The rest of the boat looks really good and now just needs a few fish over the side to Christen it !!

Cheers
Brett

boatboy50
28-10-2011, 05:03 PM
Nice work as always Pete.

Jim, you need to visit www.seastriper.com (http://www.seastriper.com) if you havn't already. Many more ideas there to spend some cash, and the others would love to see this report.

The Seaswirls are a very nice boat. Be careful of chips on the powdercoated alloy. It will encourage corrosion.

Enjoy your swirl, I know I do.

Regards

Darren

Captain Seaweed
28-10-2011, 05:23 PM
Thats a horny looking boat guys, well done Pete on another great install. Boathog you picked the right bloke to perform the work and it has all come together. Looking forward to seeing it out on the water.

Boat Hog
28-10-2011, 05:43 PM
One of the first things we noticed was the dash.
It has a big cutout section that resembles more of a seat, not a nice flat area to mount electronics.
There was a lot of head scratching going on wondering what the hell we were going to do with it...

Pete, your install in a tight fit secret is out.

In the top left of the first pic there appears to be a jar of vaseline!!:o

Please, please, please tell me it had something to do with the fit out:-X

Boat Hog
28-10-2011, 05:57 PM
I am incredibly happy with the work Pete and Chris have done with Black Magic. ;D;D;D

I don't know of anyone else I would have trusted to do this job, considering I am 5 hours drive away and can't just drop in to see how it's all going. Pete's service, guidance and advice were fantastic.

Guys and Girls if you're contemplating a new boat fit out, or an upgrade of an older boat's electronics etc, then get in touch with Pete from Valet Boat Services.

Thank you very much Pete. You're the Magician that put the Magic into Black Magic.

Cheers,

gofishin
28-10-2011, 06:19 PM
Very very sweet looking boat there Jim. What size is the V-rod? Great work once again Pete.

Boat Hog
28-10-2011, 06:34 PM
It's a 225hp!!

gofishin
28-10-2011, 08:17 PM
She should get along at a real good clip! Enjoy! Got a demo of the Simrad gear a few months ago - very good & great flexibility with those flick screens. However, you will need to be careful when loaded for a big trip - and need to fill up!

Assuming stated O/B hull weight includes the heaviest rated donk (as you have)…

Boat + motor = 1567kg
Trailer ~ 500kg
Full fuel ~300kg
Water 110kg

Total = 2477kg + gear + tackle + stuff + esky/food + …

Above trailer ATM and would be over towing capacity too, but ssshhhhh :-X, mums the word;)

Grand_Marlin
28-10-2011, 08:25 PM
Pete, your install in a tight fit secret is out.

In the top left of the first pic there appears to be a jar of vaseline!!:o

Please, please, please tell me it had something to do with the fit out:-X

LOL, it wasn't our vaseline... had you been appreciating the boat before you dropped it off??? :smitten: :o ;D

Si
28-10-2011, 10:04 PM
After 3 months and 20 days of waiting, I picked up our new 2101 Striper from the dealer yesterday!;D

I turned up there at 9.30am and saw the boat for the first time (insert mushy orchestral sounds here!). Yes I'm in love.

The boat is the new 2012 model ... which is a bit of a shock as I didn't know it was going to be next years model. Neither did the dealer, until they took the plastic wrapping off!!:o My initial reaction was ... huhh that's not the boat we ordered ???

Gone is the annodised alloy hard top supports - now powder coated white.
Flashy gold annodised rod holders replaced with matching white powder coated.
Helm area changed from white gel coat to dark charcoal gel coat.
New decals on hull and probably a few other cosmetic changes that I haven't spotted yet.

There was a few minor problems sorting out the towing connections, but the dealer did everything they could and fixed that up.

Am I happy ..... ohhh yeahh !!! Happy as a pig in the proverbial!8-);D

Boat will be going to Grand_Marlin (Pete), who is going to work some magic in the electronics and fit out department. Don't forget the Ausfish discount Pete ;)

Cheers,
i read the title to this post and thought great - coupla photos of beautiful strippers, ar alas, boat still made me drool anyways

Boat Hog
29-10-2011, 04:01 AM
She should get along at a real good clip! Enjoy! Got a demo of the Simrad gear a few months ago - very good & great flexibility with those flick screens. However, you will need to be careful when loaded for a big trip - and need to fill up!

Assuming stated O/B hull weight includes the heaviest rated donk (as you have)…

Boat + motor = 1567kg
Trailer ~ 500kg
Full fuel ~300kg
Water 110kg

Total = 2477kg + gear + tackle + stuff + esky/food + …

Above trailer ATM and would be over towing capacity too, but ssshhhhh :-X, mums the word;)

Yeah, I've got to fix this up. :-[

It's an "American" thing, my mistake at interpretation. ::)

Trailer Capacity on an EZ Loader is stated as the maximum weight the trailer can carry!! Which in this case is 5200 pounds or 2358kg. The GVWR (gross vehicle weight rating same as aussie ATM) is 6600 pounds = 2993kg.

But at least I'm not the only one to make this error! The rego papers arrived this week and guess what? ATM is listed as 2358 and the trailer TARE weight is 1496 kg!!!:o Must be a special lead alloy mix.

Anyway, the dealer is fixing it up with the powers that be.

So ... trailer is good to go!!

Don't know how heavy it will all be once I fill it up with fish!!;)

Cheers,

murf
29-10-2011, 04:21 AM
was near your place yesterday and wondered if you had the new boat yet, what a boat and what a fit-out by Grand_Marlin

so the jar of vaso is empty then?

be careful on the coffs ramp until you work out all her characteristics ;)

cheers Murf

gofishin
29-10-2011, 06:41 AM
Anyway, the dealer is fixing it up with the powers that be.

So ... trailer is good to go!!

Don't know how heavy it will all be once I fill it up with fish!!;)

Cheers,
Good to hear! I was thinking 'another new package sold with an under-spec trailer', but glad to hear this is not the case.

I have a skid trailer, and think they are great, although I have added a few bits & pieces to it. I don't have the sissi-bars down the back though :P ;D.
cheers
Brendon

Boat Hog
29-10-2011, 07:58 AM
Thanks Murf. Will take it easy @ coffs for sure!

Brendan, when you've had the surge @ coffs ramp drag your boat off the trailer sideways till your prop is chewin the rock wall, then you'll love those sissy bars!!!

Tangles
29-10-2011, 09:39 AM
so how many beers have you had in her yet?

gofishin
29-10-2011, 01:22 PM
...Brendan, when you've had the surge @ coffs ramp drag your boat off the trailer sideways till your prop is chewin the rock wall, then you'll love those sissy bars!!! Never been down that way, but it sounds as though they will come in handy.

Grand_Marlin
29-10-2011, 01:58 PM
Elvis has left the building!!

... and is headed back to Coffs 8-)

I bet the boat is in the water by 5pm ;)

murf
29-10-2011, 04:07 PM
Elvis has left the building!!

... and is headed back to Coffs 8-)

I bet the boat is in the water by 5pm ;)

so that is why he was up at 4am ;D

cheers Murf

Boat Hog
29-10-2011, 06:52 PM
Got home an hour ago and tucked her in for the night.:)

Start loading in the tackle, safety gear and stuff tomorrow. Then a good sit down and get to know all the electronics. There's a distinct possibility that this boat is now smarter than me!::)

Pete was great as always. Went over everything that was installed and then some. Answered my dumb questions graciously and reiterated that all his work is completely guaranteed!! Thanks Pete.

I still can't get over the fact that this boat is ours and that it is finally here, in the shed.;D;D

murf
29-10-2011, 07:14 PM
haha you will be one of the strange ones among us that sit for hours in the boat in the shed

I still love the look on the missus's face when she brings lunch out to me sitting in the boat :)

have fun

cheers Murf

murf
30-10-2011, 01:15 PM
so do you have all the electronics worked out?

found a spot for all the equipment/fishing gear?

got plenty of old towels so you don't get her dirty with fish blood :P;D

cheers Murf

Boat Hog
30-10-2011, 05:56 PM
so do you have all the electronics worked out? Nope, so many manuals, my head is spinning (faster than the Radar)

found a spot for all the equipment/fishing gear? Never enough room in a trailer boat - a work in progress!!

got plenty of old towels so you don't get her dirty with fish blood :P;D What!! Blasphemy!! The boat is too pretty for all that mularky - strictly lures only, catch and release ...... yeah right;);D

cheers Murf

I did however, get to give it a wash to get the bugs and road grime off. So when's the Ausfish show and shine on then??

Cheers,

Dignity
30-10-2011, 06:25 PM
That's an awsome boat and the fit out looks fantastic. Hope you get a lot of joy from her.