PDA

View Full Version : Boats For Bad Backs

Knotpretty
14-10-2011, 01:47 PM
Looking at upgrading my boat soon (my 5m tinnie is killing my back). The new boat will be 6-7m not sure of configuration. Seeking advice from fellow bad back sufferers as to what would be a suitable craft. mojo

deckie
14-10-2011, 01:59 PM
Runabout style tinnies are true back killers, plus u feel like your teeth are gonna rattle out.
One that you can stand to drive is the key, plus a nice comfy helm pad to stand on takes even more shock out.
Drive standing with flexible knees, doesnt take long and you learn to float on soft legs with the motion and chop.
Cuddy style f/glass hull with a deepish V for a softer ride. Doesnt need to be 6-7m to achieve a massive difference. Even a 5m soft riding glass hull is a huge difference.
There's really no comparison in terms of the ride.
Had one back operation many moons ago and not chance in hell i;d stick my arse down on a tinnie seat, unless it is lake placid.
Steve.

Back In Black
14-10-2011, 02:06 PM
Try looking at a cat. Went from a 6.2m glass mono to a 8.4 alloy cay & the difference is unbelievable. The size makes a difference, no doubt, but the cat ride difference is amazing. No jarring, shattering impacts.
Tony

Chimo
14-10-2011, 02:28 PM
Hi SSMojo

I've a Vagabond and a tender back (L4 and L5) and fitting trim tabs so the vee works ie takes away the banging / shoulder jarring really helped.

Also place a hi density foam wedge on your seat (thick bit to the stern) so that you place weight on your legs and as mentioned above use your legs / knees to absorb impacts.

A cat like a 6.25 Voyager or a Commander Cat would also be nice but otherwise when outside, slow down and drive to the conditions and then have a rest for a day or so after you have belted yourself and with a bit of luck things will settle down and the sciatic nerve pain will ease off.

Enjoy!

Cheers
Chimo

Knotpretty
14-10-2011, 03:13 PM
Great replies fellows thanks. No seats in my tinnie standing room only. I use my legs as shock absorbers and only travel to the conditions. I'll investigate the cats Chimo. mojo

dan12345
14-10-2011, 04:18 PM
hi ss mojo i went from a glass center console to a glass cat an the ride difference sure has helped my back(20% compression fractures in two vertabre)but like have others have said a good glass boat mono or cat is a big improvemnt over a tinnie,

johncar
14-10-2011, 05:04 PM
Yeah I am 56 and with a fair amount of back wear and tear from tradework etc. Had a dozen or so off shore trips in my Tournament 2100 WA this year in various conditions and never felt the need to stand, just sit in the chair while under way, drive sensibly, trim it up nicely and it's been great, no complaints. It's just been put up for sale as I bought a 6.6M Fisher a couple of weeks with the idea of more days away camping on board with the family, it also rides well with no bone shattering experiences so far with a couple of days offshore, possibly not quite as good a ride as the Tournament but the Fisher is a tinnie after all and good for what it is I think.

jason p
14-10-2011, 05:22 PM
Hi SSMojo

Also place a hi density foam wedge on your seat (thick bit to the stern) so that you place weight on your legs and as mentioned above use your legs / knees to absorb impacts.

having one of those foam camping mats under your feet when steaming helps the ancles, knees and back.

jp

Dan5
14-10-2011, 05:27 PM
Something big heavy and slow.......

The-easyrider
14-10-2011, 08:09 PM
I went from a 5m tinny that was killing me ride wise as it was not designed to be driven standing up. Got myself a 650 sealegend and have not looked back I could not belive the difference in ride quality.

thylacene
14-10-2011, 08:17 PM
A possible contender is the Caribbean reef runner, we went from a 540 Quintrex to the Caribbean and the wench doesn't grumble about her neck anymore. You can still land hard in a deep v if you're heading into a sea but back off just a bit and they land like a cushion. We regularly run out wide Sth coast NSW and really appreciate the improved ride.

djfish71
14-10-2011, 09:06 PM
Haines Formula 233, like riding a really fast cloud

simonpp82
14-10-2011, 10:17 PM
Got my Haines Signature centre console for sale. Nice soft ride and awesome fishing platform. Dunno if it suits what you're after but heres the link http://www.boatsales.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=11182512

Sheik
15-10-2011, 01:54 AM
Got my Haines Signature centre console for sale. Nice soft ride and awesome fishing platform. Dunno if it suits what you're after but heres the link http://www.boatsales.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=11182512
That's a lovely boat Simon. Does it have good freeboard height? What sort of speed do you get out of it? Good luck with the sale mate.

Jarrah Jack
15-10-2011, 07:40 AM
Mojo I think you should go out in a few rigs and see how you go. A cat or a tri should be at the top of the list going by what I've read on here in the past. I'm a deep v mono hull man but the raves about multi hulls are well founded and I'm surprised some of the cat boys have not given you their thoughts.

peterbo3
15-10-2011, 10:02 AM
As all outboard powered boats tend to "pivot" around the engine, the only real answer to the banging & bashing that occurs towards the bow of the boat is to sit as close to the stern as possible.:o:o Get somebody else to drive & sit on a BIG bean bag aft. The difference in ride has to be felt to be believed. The bag wraps around you & cushions you from the thumping.
There are marine bean bag covers available which are extra large, strong & UV stabilised.

simonpp82
15-10-2011, 01:50 PM
That's a lovely boat Simon. Does it have good freeboard height? What sort of speed do you get out of it? Good luck with the sale mate.

Hi Sheik, yeah freeboard is nice and deep. I'm about 6'2 and its mid thigh on me, and you can slot your feet in under the side rail storage to keep you locked in. I've had it to 37knots, but usually cruise around 22'ish

FisHard
15-10-2011, 04:05 PM
How about something like the Arvor 20-23? I've never been in one, but the idea of diesel economy and cruising steadily at 15-18kts might appeal. Just a thought :)

death_ship
16-10-2011, 08:04 AM
a cat will be good on your back but it will also make it wet

Dr DRIFT
16-10-2011, 09:26 AM
PeterBo3 is spot on....
All boats bang! there is no magic boat that doesnt bang... Only difference is one boat will bang at 15klm/hr the next it will bang @ 30klm/hr....
So the only way not to bang is drive to the conditions.... and if you have a really bad back than do what peterbo3 has suggested...get someone else to drive and sit at the back off the boat because that is the most comfortable place to be when it comes to going through the rough stuff...
Fibreglass is alot better than tin but they still bang if not driven right...

Dr Drift...

deckie
16-10-2011, 09:38 AM
Do they make a tiller steer Noosacat 2300 with a big fkoff bean bag down back ?

Knotpretty
16-10-2011, 04:34 PM
Thanks for the replies. Pretty clear I'm not the only fisherman with a bad back. I will be looking at options coming into xmas and plan on doing the rounds up brissie way will keep you all posted. mojo

wirlybird
16-10-2011, 04:52 PM
Haines Formula 233, like riding a really fast cloud

Second that i have two crushed vertebrate and disks and i just cant afford the two days of pain after the great day of fishing. So i bought the 233 for this specifically to cope with the pounding on my back.

tuff79
17-10-2011, 10:36 AM
Can't beat a cat!!!!!!!

Fed
17-10-2011, 10:57 AM
I think at slow speeds cats are worse than monos.

STUIE63
17-10-2011, 11:10 AM
if your back is stuffed then I think to look at a displacement hull instead of a planing hull something like the arvor or these http://www.rangertugs.com.au/R-21EC

wirlybird
17-10-2011, 05:43 PM
Can't beat a cat!!!!!!!
i had a 28ft FB sharkcat and it use to pump big time but each to their own

tuff79
17-10-2011, 08:25 PM
I haven't owned heaps of boat , ally craft 5.1, Haines hunter 580sf, tabs 5.7 territory pro and now a 2400 kc, all I can say is 2400kc hands down in choppy weather and off shore work ! I fish out of herveybay n threw the breaksea spit n am very impressed

mattyd
04-01-2012, 04:14 PM
PeterBo3 is spot on....
All boats bang! there is no magic boat that doesnt bang... Only difference is one boat will bang at 15klm/hr the next it will bang @ 30klm/hr....
Fibreglass is alot better than tin but they still bang if not driven right...

Dr Drift...

Apologies to bump an old thread, but I think there's some good points raised for fellow lower back pain sufferers like myself.

Dr Drift made an interesting point that 'All boats bang'. So my question is am I better off keeping my current Freedom Escape 5.3m glass cuddy cab which I'm sick of bending through the cabin like a contortionist every time I cast & retrieve the anchor. Or if I go for a Formosa or Tabs 510-520 CC or Bow rider to make the anchor well so much more accessible, does it mean the plated tin ride is going to be much different than the Freedom fiberglass in the chop? If I want the advantage of a walkaround deck, does it mean I have to take it a bit easier in the chop with a tinny?

It might be a question only answered by actually getting out in one and comparing the ride when she's blowing 15knots with a 1m swell in the bay.

Do I stick with my current fiberglass hull and putt up with the bending (esp when you're 6ft 4!), or spend another 15-20k (after trade) get a 360 degree fishing bonus and easy anchor access.

Thanks in advance - any advice appreciated.

Matt

Chimo
04-01-2012, 04:50 PM
Hi Matt

If you know the depth your going to anchor in and you tie your warp off at the the bow for that location and take all your warp, anchor and chain back along the out side of the boat and store it in a fish bin on the floor you can simply lower the anchor etc from your seat.

Use a float and a split ring that you slip onto the warp and which floats up by the bow until you retrieve your anchor by driving towards the anchor but at about 30 degrees off line, so .you don't drive over the warp.

The float is pulled along the warp and when the float pops under water the anchor and chain will be sitting under it. Simply hand over hand the warp chain and anchor back into the boat and deposit it into the fish bin. ready to use it again and you hav not had to set foot in the cabin!

See you don't need a new boat after all! (Sorry woman's side comment) You can never have enough boats........

Cheers
Chimo

mattyd
04-01-2012, 05:38 PM
Thanks for the suggestion Chimo, I found an old thread of yours about this split ring / float setup but looks like the pics are no longer.

I found something similar from BCF: http://www.bcf.com.au/online-store/products/Anchor-Retrieval-System-300mm.aspx?pid=115813#Description - would that do the trick?

I love the idea of anchor retrieval from the deck rather than the cabin. But I can't quite picture how you access the warp when you're driving up towards the float. Also how does the float lift the anchor if it simply 'floats' along the warp as required? I thought there would have to be a pivot point or the float would just make it's way towards the top of the line where it attaches to the bow?

I'll probably have to try it & see it in action as it's hard to get my head around how it all works.

I was kinda excited about the prospect of a new boat, but I think my 2006 Escape has got a few more good years yet :P

Chimo
04-01-2012, 05:50 PM
7527975280The ring is free to slide along the warp. Gravity means that if you fit as you let the last few meters out it will end up under / at the bow. Just slowly drive forward and to port until the float is clear then go for it (5 to 10 kn)

Use your boat hook to capture the warp as it is positioned on the stbd side of the boat. I.E. you steer so the warp trails out behind and eventually close enough to grab with the boat hook. Then just stop and hand over hand the warp etc back into the bin.

Try it, it will all come together easily.

Capt and i got a heap of SS rings made and PM him as he has probably got some left. Make up you own with some silver and a big foam float.

Cheers
Chimo.

Noelm
05-01-2012, 10:39 AM
mattyd, I think you are bit confused as to what happens to the float when you drive away, the rope slides through the big ring untill it reaches the chain at the anchor end, and the chain pulls through the ring and sort of hangs there, with the anchor on one side, and the chain onthe other, all floating nicly on the surface, so all you need to pull in is slack rope and a floating anchor.

mattyd
05-01-2012, 11:41 AM
Thanks I think I've got the picture now, the boat drives the anchor out of the sand (rather than the float). It sounds a brilliant idea and I'm surprised everyone hasn't caught on.

My poor wife has resorted to anchor (ski) gloves as she can't get a proper reach over the bow to haul it up directly (using the front roller as a kind of fulcrum) from the hatch. She's going to love the idea of pulling in loose rope from the deck and finding the anchor & chain sitting nicely on the float when we swing around to pick it up :)

Still like the idea of a new boat but.... ;)

Cheers Noel / Chimo,

Matt

Noelm
05-01-2012, 12:20 PM
yep, that's the way it works, the ball does sometimes go under a bit, but most times it just kind of "bobs" along untill it reaches the anchor, I used that system for years, but don't use it now, not 100% sure why, I just changed boats and never used it again.