PDA

View Full Version : Whitsundays - Airlie New Years

mustang5
13-10-2011, 08:26 PM
Hello,

Since I will have about 7 weeks to test out the new rig, and iron out any squeeks, I am now focusing my attention on new years..

In past years, We have basically done Moreton Island over new years. Since we have moved north, and now have a boat we could spend a week living on, we are looking for something closer to home.

So I suppose here are my Qs:
1. Is there boat access in sheltered areas for the New years festivities at Airlie Beach?
2. Can you anchor at any of the whitsunday Islands and go to the pub to have a drink/meal without having accommodation there?
3. Anywhere in the whitsundays to camp/anchor boat?
4. Anyone suggest anywhere else?

Cheers all.

goat boy
13-10-2011, 10:22 PM
not sure about airlie beach itself but yeh you can drive around to the resorts, anchor up and go in to the pub/restaurant there for a feed and enjoy the entertainment. They will more than welcome the business and you certainly won't be the only one in that situation.
Not sure about camping but I reckon plenty would do it, you could always anchor up at somewhere like long island and take up the back packer style lodge accommodation (dunno the costs but if povo backpackers can afford well...)

mal555
14-10-2011, 08:06 AM
A lot do this, especially the state 'Whittley' clubs. Each have their own websites linked from Whittley Marine in Melbourne, but run as individual sites which are very informative.

They, of course do it as an organised group, but the Whitsunday's seems an annual pilgrimage.

The marina's, Abel Point and Hamilton Is. are expensive ($90.00 per night iirc), but you will need to top up fresh water and fuel at some stage.

The best choices for top-up food shopping is Airlie (anchor in the bay to the west of Abel Point and dinghy ashore to avoid the marina cost) , but the General Store at Hammo has most things, but dearer prices naturally.
You can anchor across the other side of the channel from the Hammo Harbour entrance and dinghy in if you don't need a berth and just want to eat in one of the restaurants or grab something from the store.

You will definitely need the nautical publication "100 Magic Miles", dedicated anchoring info for the whole area.

Depending what the weather is doing, but there is a lot of south-easterly, so bays like Cid Harbour, Marcona Inlet and Nara will keep you central to the action and sheltered (staying on board), and not too far from Whitehaven.

If you haven't stayed on board before, always watch weather forecasts closely and particuarly wind direction changes during the night. Sometimes it is worth travelling back to a recognised calm anchorage (like the three already mentioned) than say, riding out a wind shift or re-anchoring at three in the morning, just to have a night at Whitehaven for example. 100 magic miles will tell you most of what you need to know anyway.

mustang5
14-10-2011, 09:15 AM
Thanks fellas, thats great news!

Will definitely be heading up there :) I have only ever heard good things about new years up that way, but never really looked into boating up there.

Will be a good tester for the proline :)

Cheers

wirlybird
14-10-2011, 09:20 AM
weather will be the determining factor for the whitsundays. As its all mostly national park you can camp basicly anywhere. all the basic fees apply for the marina but hammo has free water and they dont charge for you to berth to fill up with fuel like able point does. That said the fuel costs alot more. Hayman dont like you rocking up on thier doorstep wanting to day trip but you can anchor up anywhere around it.

I would suguest you come up with a plan for north wids and south east winds using the 100 magic miles book. As for airlie if the wind is from the south i would anchor up near the yacht club on the sand you wont be geting much sleep anyway so you may as well beach her for the night.

mustang5
14-10-2011, 02:10 PM
Anybody have an older copy of that book? $100 to get it delivered. I know its probably worth its weight in gold but Im sure I can pick up an older copy for something not so steep!

Thanks all for the tips I am sure ill enjoy it! I can see anchorage will be the issue given some big tides and narrow entrances.

Will be fun.

Muddy Toes
14-10-2011, 02:18 PM
All day in an air-con cab, big boats and tropical holidays.....Gee you earthworks blokes have got it hard;D:P8-)

mustang5
14-10-2011, 02:34 PM
Hahaha, still have to figure out my towing situation :(:(:(

Might need the D10 Dozer from work at this rate.

krazyfisher
14-10-2011, 07:07 PM
if you can't afford "100 magic miles " than you can't afford the trip.... well worth every cent

mustang5
15-10-2011, 06:07 AM
if you can't afford "100 magic miles " than you can't afford the trip.... well worth every cent

Haha yeah I know. Ordered the latest edition when I figured out it was the 9th edition :0 Im sure a lot has changed since the first.

mal555
15-10-2011, 06:28 AM
Haha yeah I know. Ordered the latest edition when I figured out it was the 9th edition :0 Im sure a lot has changed since the first.

Good move mustang, it will provide you with valuable info and moral support, as well as something to refer to when planning your next trip up or advising others. It's like Beacon to Beacon and the Alan Lucas cruising guides, you'd be missing great info not to have them on board.

Read some of the old cruise reports from the various (Qld., N.S.W. and Vic.) Whittley Club sites, they cover most issues.

mustang5
25-11-2011, 01:10 PM
I got the book, its definately well worth it :)

Doesnt really show much detail on fishing the outer reefs, or even the trip out there?

Can anyone comment on the trip out, or even offer a few good spots for a tourist like me??

Cheers

FisHard
25-11-2011, 06:08 PM
Whitsundays outer reef is fantastic! My last trip up there was in July with Seafever Sportfishing. We headed basically north from Shute Harbour about 45nm. I've been sworn to secrecy regarding specific spots ;) but that general reigon offered a range of activities from GTs on poppers to Reds off the bottom. The best bit was the MILLIONS of Sapagled Emporer at the overnight anchorage. Great fun on light gear! The skipper assured me they are everywhere on the 10-15m sandy ground inside the reef edge. There is no secret spot.
Well worth heading out for the day on Seafever to get an idea of what's going on out there before hitting it in your own boat. You won't find a better operation and they only fish the outer reef.
Hope you have a fantastic time!

STUIE63
25-11-2011, 06:51 PM
on your way in go to the rum bar in the main street of Airlie and as you order a feed (great feeds ) ask for KC and introduce yourself he is a member here I am sure he will give you some pointers on where to go
Stuie