PDA

View Full Version : Gone from boating trips to Fishing Trips- you beauty.

Wax_head
12-10-2011, 05:15 PM
Last few times out have been really dry on the fishing front. I just keep telling my mates I only go boating these days not fishing.

Went for a quick fish on Sunday morning with a mate.

Over the Caloundra bar and out to 5 mile. Should of made it a all day avent as the ocean was flat. You could of fished out there in your tinny.

We had a quick jig for a livey or 2 and first 1 up and out it went. It was only there for about 5mins than whack whack, 30 mins later we had a big long tail at the side of the boat. Didn't weight it or get a length but it is 1 of the biggest I have caught and I really felt it the next day.

On Monday we went for another quick run and before the northerly came up and got the biggest queenie I've ever seen in about 10 mins of fishing. We should of pulled the pin because after that we didn't score anything.

Can't wait for the mackeral season to start as I haven't had any luck with them yet.
Didn't do any good on the snapper this season but I've seen plenty of big frames around the ramps. Oh well next season I try again for the Snaps.

Till next time.

jason p
12-10-2011, 05:22 PM
thats a nice tuna mate well done, and that queenie,wow, ive never seen 1 that big.

jp

logga77
12-10-2011, 05:35 PM
Thats great fishing mate
im so looking forward to getting some of these big boys on the boat, Good job!

Dean

BLOOEY
12-10-2011, 06:40 PM
Couple of great fish there waxhead. That longtail certainly does have a looooong tail. Never eaten a queenie myself and have thought that they probably taste a lot like dart, am i right? Ben

thelump
12-10-2011, 08:15 PM
Great fish there mate. Well done

Horse
13-10-2011, 06:20 AM
Thats a very solid Queenie. Nice work

Wax_head
13-10-2011, 03:52 PM
They taste great. We just skinned the flesh and crumbed it and into the pan.

malby
14-10-2011, 07:18 AM
Wow waxhead! What a day and way to break your recent duck! I am sooo pumped to get my new (2nd hand) boat out there now. I recently bought an 85 model Cruise Craft Reef Raider which has just had an 03 merc 90 put on her and I'm planning a water test on Sunday so will be looking at the swell to see if the Caloundra bar is a go-er as I love heading out through it as the reefs are so close by. I have been going through there in my 16 ft tinny which weighs nothing (and can trim over about 1 foot of water) and it looked 'really shallow'. How was it in your boat last Sunday? Did you go out and come back on the top half of the tides? I'm guessing your boat is a pretty big and heavy one judging by the pics. What make and model is it? Just trying to get a comparison before I take my hard earned through the bar. What sort of livies did you get them on? Last time I tried I could only get big whiptails though I've heard people do fine with them. Also, how deep were you fishing? I've been over close-in reef on the way out to the 12 mile and seen some great looking pinnacles out there on the sounder. Sorry about all the questions...feel free to not answer whatever but the boat and bar questions around saftey would be a great help.

matt fraser
14-10-2011, 08:47 AM
Two great fish there Waxhead, welcome to the world of fishing! not boating....

Cheers,

Matt

Boat Hog
15-10-2011, 06:07 AM
Some nice fish there! Congratulations on breaking the drought;D

I just keep telling my mates I only go boating these days not fishing. Had to laught at this .... I tell myself the same thing sometimes - even tho I know I'm out there to fish ... just goes to show "all fishermen are liars"!::):D

Cheers,

Wax_head
15-10-2011, 10:24 AM
The bar was nearly flat last sunday, my boat is a 470 breeze hanies hunter with a 75hp 4 stroke on the back.

It took me a lot of up grades and saving my hard earned coin to buy her.

She is a solid boat but the bar at caloundra has claimed plently of boaties.

You can ring caloundra coast guard and they will give you an update of the bar (Coast Guard Caloundra 54913533), they are only to willing to help. Would be a good idea to log on also with coast guard caloundra before heading over the bar. Channel 91 and log off when you have crossed the bar safely on the way in.

The channel seems to be moving a bit. On the way out we hung in pretty close to the bribie tip and proceeded out to the north east from there. The bar is pretty shallow on the run out tide as the tides are pretty big at the moment. It was really shallow on the way back in but we just sat in behind a wave and took it easy, tide was heading out.

The weather is a bit hit and miss at the moment so keep an eye on www.bom.gov.au (http://www.bom.gov.au)

Livies were slimmy mackeral.

Just had a look at the weather on bom for sundy morning and it looks ok.

Good luck fishing and remember your safety is not worth any fish.

Wax_head
15-10-2011, 10:33 AM
I think out of all the boats on the sunny coast there are heaps of fisho's that go boating, only a small few are lucky enough to land some good fish.

Or you swear you will sell the boat next time if you don't catch some fish.

For me it's not so much catching the fish but just getting out there.

Also nothing worse than copping a ribbing from the good wife when you get home with no fish like "owe you didn't catch any fish again"!!

malby
16-10-2011, 03:57 PM
Thanks for the heads up. Went out in my boat for 1st time through the bar today and similar conditions with no problems. We got livies (yakka's) and went out to what I guess is about the 5 mileish area. We had hits from what I guess were small Mackerell as they would eat the livies but seemed to be good at missing the hooks (we had 2 hook livie rigs). There were plenty of boats but the only ones getting fish (that we could see) were what looked like pro's (as they had yellow signs on the sides of their boats) and they were trolling up school mackerell or maybe spotties as was hard to tell. They seemed to be getting them pretty often. Anyone else see these guys? Are they pro's? Do they troll deep and wondered if thet were trolling livies or what? Any info would be good.

Smithy
17-10-2011, 12:24 PM
Yep they would have been a couple of the old pros trolling for schoolies. Hard to tell what they troll at times but they are guns, well they have to be. Definately livies for spanish but could be dead baits during schooly and spotty season. At times they would be running downriggers or at other times all sorts of trolling weights. Drop in and see Barry McDade or Michael from Kawana Bait and Tackle. The pros you are talking about all live there near the shop so drop in from time to time and Bazz and Michael usually have all the goss.

malby
17-10-2011, 08:39 PM
They definitely had no downriggers on and did not seem to take long to get trolling again after a catch so would have been pre-rigged dead baits, livies or lures. We had livies out and they were just getting munched through by the small Mackerell be they schoolies or spotties. They really liked that spot hey! Just kept going around and around for ages and were still going when we left not seeming to catch much by then??!!

Wax_head
26-10-2011, 05:17 PM
Yep they were pro's. One of them lives up opposite the boat ramp at labalsa park boat ramp at point cartwright and is a nice bloke.

I went for a run that day also but didn't do any good.

With the mackeral they put on livies or pilchards and slow troll. You have to have heaps of patients for this type of fishing.

Good luck.