PDA

View Full Version : fixing trailer brakes ( disc ) , fixer , RWC ( who ). Thorneside

datamile
12-10-2011, 03:51 PM
I'm looking to sell my boat as I'm just not getting the value out of it. The family aren't keen, and its too big for just 1.

Its a 2005 525 stacer with 125 evin with around 90 hrs on it, and in pretty good nick. Not sure on what the value would be ( 20-27 K ? )

The problem is the trailer. Its only got override disc brakes, but I need to replace the pads as they took a knocking last time I move the boat as they were jammed on.

The disc ( rotors ) are also not smooth at all varing depth of surface rust ( 3mm ).

So what do I need to do to get a RWC so that I can sell ? How good do the discs need to be ? What else is part of the RWC ( lights... )

Recommendation for RWC in my area ?

Wife is also whinging about it taking me a month of cursing in the yard to get it fixed. Anyone recommend someone/place who could do the work on the trailer, and approx price ? ( no idea if I can even get the wheels off )

Thanks

Ian

Muddy Toes
12-10-2011, 04:08 PM
Hey mate give Jason a call at Piva service centre on Giles RD at Redland Bay a call on 0428121071.He did my RWC on my trailer when i sold my Quinnie and he'll be able to run through the requirements with you and also fix the stuff that needs doing.
He's a great guy but at the same time has an obligation to ensure the trailer is roadworthy and when he was doing mine i had to do a few stop starts with the trailer so he could see the braking system was working properly.If lights are a problem mate i've got a light board for sale/borrow if ya need one.

Axl
12-10-2011, 08:32 PM
I'm looking to sell my boat as I'm just not getting the value out of it. The family aren't keen, and its too big for just 1.

Its a 2005 525 stacer with 125 evin with around 90 hrs on it, and in pretty good nick. Not sure on what the value would be ( 20-27 K ? )

The problem is the trailer. Its only got override disc brakes, but I need to replace the pads as they took a knocking last time I move the boat as they were jammed on.

The disc ( rotors ) are also not smooth at all varing depth of surface rust ( 3mm ).

So what do I need to do to get a RWC so that I can sell ? How good do the discs need to be ? What else is part of the RWC ( lights... )

Recommendation for RWC in my area ?

Wife is also whinging about it taking me a month of cursing in the yard to get it fixed. Anyone recommend someone/place who could do the work on the trailer, and approx price ? ( no idea if I can even get the wheels off )

Thanks

Ian

I didnt think a trailer needed a roadie to be sold in QLD.

jason p
12-10-2011, 08:58 PM
I didnt think a trailer needed a roadie to be sold in QLD.

it sure does depending on the weight

check this out.

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?115438-roadworthy-on-trailer

jp

robothefisho
12-10-2011, 09:07 PM
Brakes, Your discs are F d. They are meant to have no surface rust and be perfectly smooth for a rwc.
Pads shouldn't have heavy flaking rust on the backing nor seperating from the backing.
Brake cable should not be rusty, very, very light surface rust is ok, but if you can kink the cable its not.
Cable adjuster should be free to adjust.
Brakes need to be adjusted properly.
Chassis/springs/bolts can't be excessively rusty.
Tyres can't be cracked or below twi and must have appropriate load rating.
Lights must all work. Sidelights fitted if over 2.1m wide.
Bearings must be in good condition not making any noise.
Reflectors must be fitted where they are required.
Vin plate must be fitted/legible.
Mud guards if plastic can't be cracked.
Number plate lights are required if not integrated into lights.

Probably forgot somthing, but thats a good idea of whats required.

However if you pretty much go to any dodgey boat yard they'll write one. Heaps of dodgey places around.

robothefisho
12-10-2011, 09:08 PM
Oh probably 23k ish depending on condition

datamile
12-10-2011, 10:11 PM
Thanks... Recon I'd fail on 90% of that, so either fix it all, or find a dodgey boat yard... Didn't think that many boat yards even existed these days.

lucee81
13-10-2011, 07:08 AM
Try active fabrications in Beenleigh, i changed all my brakes, wheels, tyres, bearings , rollers etc
for very little. At least then you know you are selling a safe trailer.

litenup
15-10-2011, 06:15 PM
The service centre oppposite where Leisure marine existed on Old Cleveland road does safety Certificates for trailer. Tony seems to be good bloke. I do know someone who lives in Thorneside who could do job. Pm me if need more info cheers Pete

Moonlighter
16-10-2011, 12:49 PM
I got the RW for my boat trailer done at The Workshop T Cleveland, just along from the Big Mushroom fruit barn on Shore st. They will also do repairs.

Also, Queensland Trailer Spares at 7/27 Smith St Capalaba also stock better quality NZ made Trojan brake parts and also do repairs and build trailers. Not sure if they do RWCs but could sort out the parts/repairs for you.

Cheers
ML