PDA

View Full Version : Blachwatch 36 vs Caribbean 35 opinions

SnapHead101
12-10-2011, 11:57 AM
Hi All,

Looking at buying either of these two boats for the crappy seas we get around Mackay. Has anyone experienced the ride of either of these boats in a nasty sea ? In particular was it a smooth ride, and did the boat rock around much at rest ?

Midnight
14-10-2011, 08:26 AM
G'day Snap,
You might be better off asking this question on the Marlin Bar forum, or one of the Sydney forums, like fish raider.

Both are deep V hulls, and handle very well in the rough stuff, but they both like a bit of a roll when drifting beam on to the swell.

The 35 Caribbean has been sold in much larger numbers than the BW36, so this may give you more to choose from, particularly when it comes to engine choice and electronics set up etc.
The build quality of the Caribbean is also unquestionable.

Good luck with your search.
Cheers,
Myles

mal555
14-10-2011, 09:03 AM
They are both good breeds.

When you're investing these sorts of dollars, study the resale value also. Engine options are also a big consideration, in the sense of "good property".

They will all slam in big head seas, regardless of what the salesman will say, you just have to throttle back to the appropriate comfort level.
Even if you can take it, the interior furnishings won't, resulting in doors coming off hinges and other stress damage, it's not worth it.

Smithy
17-10-2011, 08:11 PM
If you can stretch to a Black Watch 40 it will be a whole lot better. They are now in the $300s, unheard of as they all would have come out in the $5-6-700s. BW36's are a bit pokey in the saloon. A Bertie/Carribean 35' will feel roomier. Be prepared to feel dissappointed with a lot of the 2nd hand Berties as a lot are mum and dad boats. The BWs will be set up for fishing from the get go.

deckie
17-10-2011, 11:26 PM
Fished older 35 berties (that werent old at the time) plus a 34 blackwatch.
Totally biased coz in 2 full days never turned a reel on that blackwatch...so they suck. Had nothing to do with us of course. On the other hand had a lot of great times on B35's.
All about the motors i reckon...and the skipper of course in a decent sea. Both great platforms. Prob the B/watch more fisho friendly in normal guise...better setup cockpit, would be especially good if you can get a 36 that didnt have a " my lures taste like turds " sticker underneath like the b/watch i was on. B35's just catch fish and punch well into a sea with no more than usual amount of shuddering and slamming i reckon. Love how open and spacious the cockpits always seem to feel for their size too.
35 probably rocks a bit more at rest than others but nothing really noteworthy. Really good into and with a sea. You drift beam onto a solid 1.5m wind swell/chop and they all rock. 34 blackwatch was flat calm fishing so sorry no idea on how they are at rest or in a decent sea...just remember the thing flew along and i think it had Cummins. Detroits raise more fish tho.

Get the one that doesnt have a strong new f/glass factory stink to it. Go around and Enough to turn my guts up more than any sea. Very envious, good luck choosing.

Smithy
18-10-2011, 08:05 AM
Cummins are the best choice in motor regardless. Cats maybe second. All diesel fitters can work on them and parts are easy to source as are after market filters etc. Detriots are fuel guzzlers. The new generation Detriots (MTUs) with all the electrical crap on them can be pains in the arse when the computers play up. Fiats/Iveco reliablity has to be questioned, especially the red devil ones like the SRM33s. The new aqua colour ones or white ones which were in cohorts with Cummins are either good or bad depending on the computer. The computers can be very tempermental. Volvos you either love or hate. I am not a fan, others get good runs out of them. The newer white ones like the D6 etc. which replace all the older KAMD series etc. in green are a lot better. Parts can be an issue for Volvo. Expensive and it takes a long time to come from Scandinavia. Yanmar are the same, either good or bad, no in between. The 500s etc are good, the little 4 cyliners ones are good, the high reving 6 cylinders are good like the old 300, the low reving 315 and 370s are good but I know a few people who have had the 420-430-440hp straight 6s that were pains in the arse and one set that have gone great.

34' BWs should not enter this discussion. They are a day boat only. The two you mentioned have 2 staterooms. We call 35' Berties sea tractors as they plough up the seas or the paddock when trolling.