PDA

View Full Version : Turtle & cobia

Back In Black
10-10-2011, 06:42 PM
Fished off Noosa yesterday & had a HUGE turtle go by with a dozen cobia within 3 m of it. We up anchor & tracked her down & threw a ganged pilly nearby & within seconds got smashed. By the time we retrieved the cobia & dispatched him before he destroyed the boat with his thrashing, the turtle had disappeared. 10 minutes later we found her & repeated the process, & again got smashed. This time my rod fouled up & I couldn't untangle it. I passed it to a mate, put on a glove & hand dragged it in. They both hit the 8kg mark. I don't recommend handlining for cobia! Ended up with snapper, moses perch & a school of chopper tailor at 54m? I thought they were a surface fish.
We then picked up a HUGE cod, 115cm & 40kg. Pierced it & expressed the air, but she wouldn't go down. Rang Gaven (Hookinin) & asked what to do, & his advice worked! Made a rig with 2kg of lead & a 7/0 hook. Pierced the "skin" between the spines on the dorsal fin & sent her back down. Kept her there for 5 minutes, then got the line directly above her & gave her a sharp lift with the rod. The hook came out of the skin & she stayed down. We circled for 10 minutes but she didn't surface, so we hope she made it. Thanks for the help Gaven,
Tony

hookinin
11-10-2011, 06:14 AM
Good to see it went back down but you have to wonder if they just become shark food. Nice feed by the way
Gaven

Captain Seaweed
11-10-2011, 06:25 AM
found the same thing off Fitzroy Reef a month ago. Although we couldnt get any of the cobes.

URAGANGI
11-10-2011, 09:58 AM
Looks like the Cobes were using the turtle as roaming cover, Possibly feeding on the same thing. Good news on the cod rescue.
Cheers,
Gavin

Snap Dog
11-10-2011, 04:53 PM
Nice feed there mate . I have a livie spot on the 50mtr line i get lots of taylor on the bait jigs. seemed strange to me too. good live bait though, legal size of caurse.