PDA

View Full Version : Project Boat.

chrispad
09-10-2011, 03:31 PM
Hi all,
I am needing some advice. My son has been doing a boat up for the last couple of years and now due to work commitments and lack of time is unable to finish it. He has dropped it of at my place and asked me to sell it for him. The problem is I am not sure what it is worth.

The boat is a Swiftcraft 17 1/2 foot and started out as a half cabin with a rotten floor and transom. He has cut the cabin off and also taken out the bunks and replaced it with a casting platform which has three storage areas. The forward hatch is for anchor storage, middle hatch general storage and the rear hatch is a 300 litre kill tank which is plumbed via a 50 mm pipe to the rear outside of the boat and closed off with a ball valve.

Underfloor has been strengthened and completely covered with a layer of woven cloth not chop strand, new floor and transom put in also using woven cloth. All that is needed to finish it off is a console, motor and fuel tank etc.

So I am putting it out to you guys as to what you think it might be worth.

Cheers.

MyWay
09-10-2011, 08:57 PM
looks good very good

myway

Dan5
09-10-2011, 09:14 PM
Since he has it up to that stage i'd be comparing it to something virtually new,get some prices on a new hainse or hooker etc and then knock 15% off of that as a starting price.
It looks really well done and you have photos to back up the work it should sell easily.

Dan

Apollo
10-10-2011, 06:07 AM
Looks like it is a nice rig. Problem is with anything part done, they get discounted against a completed one fairly heavily as not many people want to buy a boat with a fair amount of work to do (although a lot has already been done with this one). My suggestion is to price a very good condition second hand boat of similar size/configuration and then deduct the value of the motor, console, electronics, safety and running gear, steering, lighting, rego, fittings, trailer and trimmings. This will give you the base of what you are competing with on the open market as a completed boat, then deduct 20% to cover (encourage) someone to do the work involved to get it to there.

Jarrah Jack
10-10-2011, 08:06 AM
How much will your son be happy with?

Don't expect him to get back what it has cost in time and money even though its a great job. I would start with a crafty ad on ebay. One with a reasonably high Buy it Now price and ask for offers. The heading of the ad should have something like Swiftcraft Center Console Not Haines, Cruisecraft

By stating Haines and Cruisecraft you will get people looking for them as well.

There has been a Haines 17ft CC on sale there for a while.

chrispad
10-10-2011, 03:57 PM
Hi all,
Thanks very much for your replies and advice and I have taken it all onboard. I probably will go with an add on ebay just have to word it attractively. Also to mention a Haines or Cruisecraft is a very good idea. I want to try and get as much as possible for him as he has put a lot into it as well as doing a damn good job.
Thanks.

maru222
10-10-2011, 04:10 PM
swiftcraft are a great boat ( more common in Victoria were they are well respected ) very nice job, but not many people want to buy work