PDA

View Full Version : Nice P.B. Stormy Snapper and Trag Gold Coast

URAGANGI
08-10-2011, 07:15 PM
My mate and I decided too take a chance on the weather last night. It's been a month since we've both headed out, so it's a now or never decision... The trip paid off nicely.The conditions were quite fair if not surprisingly better than expected. we were at least within 20k's off shore. the night air was still and the odd moth danced around the deck lights.

While we were both on Dog Watch the Trag started too show good form. In the Wee early hours. I had a new toy in my Kit too play with. So out comes the Traditional Alvey Snapper Reel. I've never used one off these reels offshore before and I reckon I've been converted back into old time proven fishing methods.

The rigs were a classic dropper style, the bait was the only twist. I was using my favorite river bait. Steak. Did some one say steak?? Yep I'm on the bovine again. With in an hour Our box went from chrome silver too a much welcome sight off Red and that fresh scent of Snapper in the air.t The code has once again been broken and we were both busy.

I had a ball using that reel and on the first trip it's paid for itself. I only bought the reel for $50, off an old salt who was selling off his gear. The poor bugger's Knee's were shot and he couldn't venture out yonder anymore. He had that Reel since His early 40's and I promised him I give it a new life. Job Done.

When First light broke through The Goldy's foreshore had a nasty black blanket of rain just lingering waiting for the drop.

Yep we've done what we came too do. We've both done well. Time too set coarse for home and have a free shower as we punch through the rain. Good time was made getting through the bar. We have both arrived in Brindle Fashion.....Wet like Shags through and through....,
not to worry Good Times, Good Times.
Cheers
Viper.

David I Talbot
08-10-2011, 09:51 PM
nice reel nice good feed

URAGANGI
08-10-2011, 10:16 PM
Thanks Dave. The new line I used for that reel was from the Shogun Range in Ice blue. Not a bad product. The line is low stretch, very supple and forgiving. The reel itself has given back the joy's of good old back too basics hassle free fishing, yeah sure it's nice too have the very latest High Teck this's and that's but you should never forget from where you came and how you started fishing. With the feed...I'm lucky I'm back in the Seafood Industry and my shop has a band saw too help me with the Snapper cuttlets. I'm not going to waste anything if I can help it.
cheers
Gavin.

thelump
09-10-2011, 09:25 AM
'Nice haul of fish mate. Well done. Your mrs (I hope it is) has that look like she is either going to eat that snapper or perhaps the photographer. Hopefully you were holding the camera ;D

FISHAWN
09-10-2011, 10:52 AM
Top sesh there Gav, How big was the PB snap and what time did they come on?

ozassassin
09-10-2011, 04:25 PM
Good going there mate well done.

Angla
09-10-2011, 08:23 PM
Well done there. The fish look great.
The water looks quite calm considering the storms approach. I'm guessing you just got wet through from the rain.

Great outcome
Cheers
Chris

URAGANGI
09-10-2011, 11:49 PM
'Nice haul of fish mate. Well done. Your mrs (I hope it is) has that look like she is either going to eat that snapper or perhaps the photographer. Hopefully you were holding the camera ;D

Funny how you ask. Yes I'm proud too say, that yes the lady in question is my Wife.She's the most understanding best mate a bloke can have!! It wasn't my idea..., but her's. Those steamy sultry looks are what caught my eye in the first place on day one. Snapper earn me big points when I've been away on Friday night overnighters. by the way a P.B. like your Snapper is horse, now that's a nice fish to hold up high.
cheers,
Gavin.

URAGANGI
09-10-2011, 11:57 PM
Top sesh there Gav, How big was the PB snap and what time did they come on?

He just tickles over 73cm's on the brag mat. He was chock full of prawn shell's that I saved from work. The best run's and bites came on around 1am through to day break then it was a shut down, all went very quiet.
Cheers,
Gavin.

URAGANGI
10-10-2011, 12:07 AM
Good going there mate well done.

I'm happy that I persisted with the steak. All you do is, cut a fairly thick strip of steak. cut a "V" Tail in your strip of bait and present the bait with either a straight "J" hook or my favorite circle hook. Make sure that the barb is well placed near your "V" Tail. I just wait untill I've touched bottom then slowly let line out, every now and then I'll give the bait some life as you would with a soft plastic. This works as well.
Cheers,
Gavin.

URAGANGI
10-10-2011, 12:20 AM
Well done there. The fish look great.
The water looks quite calm considering the storms approach. I'm guessing you just got wet through from the rain.

Great outcome
Cheers
Chris

Chris The conditions both blew us away. We even took a quick sprint out wide, just past the 36's . The run out there was at full pace. No bites just a horizontal line, when you drop. So back in closer we went. The water depth later was around 40mtr's and the run was a little more passive and productive.
As far as the storm goes this kept me amused all night long as I watched it develop. Mother nature sure is a moody thing. Quiet before the storm I guess you can say. That afternoon when I was feeding the Pelicans at work. No wounder why they guts all their tucker down.
The B.O.M. was on the drop and they scenced it. They know when a storm is coming, Hence the rapid feeding frenzy.
Cheers,
Gavin.

fishfeeder
10-10-2011, 01:29 PM
Good read and Pictures, looks like you had a lot of fun on and off the water !!
Sorry mate but I had to look 3 times to find the Snapper in the "Inside photo" ::):P
I can see the benefits to using steak, If the fish are not biting you can always cook up a good feed.

Cheers
Brett

TimD
10-10-2011, 02:16 PM
Does your missus always pose for fish pic's half naked :o

cheers tim :)

carnster
10-10-2011, 08:13 PM
Hey Gavin you could be starting a trend with the wife pics. Good times mate, well done on the catch; the snap and the wife.

URAGANGI
10-10-2011, 09:34 PM
Good read and Pictures, looks like you had a lot of fun on and off the water !!
Sorry mate but I had to look 3 times to find the Snapper in the "Inside photo" ::):P
I can see the benefits to using steak, If the fish are not biting you can always cook up a good feed.

Cheers
Brett

Hey Brett, it's not the first time that I've taken the bait back home too cook. If it's the good old pilly That'll end up under the griller with a BBQ rub.. Very nice. or the occy or the squid ends up in the salad. And the steaks get bacon and eggs mixed with it. Because when I get home I'm fangin for a solid feed. Qwells make me ravenious.

I usually make sure I have the freshest bait I can get my hands on. That way if I do manage a good feed nothing gets wasted..., and if I don't...., Nothing is wasted just the same.
Cheers,
Gavin.

URAGANGI
10-10-2011, 09:38 PM
Does your missus always pose for fish pic's half naked :o

cheers tim :)

Tim Only with the better catches. your only young once. As long as it's done in good taste I suppose.
I'll P.M. later I need some advice on Z man paddle tails.
Cheers,
Gavin.

URAGANGI
10-10-2011, 09:45 PM
Hey Gavin you could be starting a trend with the wife pics. Good times mate, well done on the catch; the snap and the wife.

Carnster with the wife she's a true keeper, through and through. And the pics I hope others keep them neat. Your own C.V. is massive. You've taken some top catches recently and beyond. I've never spotted you when I'm out and about. Strange, since we both fish in the same water's on the Goldy.
Cheers,
Gavin

carnster
11-10-2011, 04:19 AM
We will have to get out some time gav, hopefully not when there is a storm.

URAGANGI
11-10-2011, 01:10 PM
We will have to get out some time gav, hopefully not when there is a storm.

Thanks. P.M. sent.
cheers,
Gavin.