PDA

View Full Version : Burrum Heads

Raesen
08-10-2011, 04:46 PM
Hi gents and hope you all survived the early morning storms (SE Qld).

I am off to Burrum Heads - Sunday 13th November for 10 - 12 days. Booked into the beach Caravan Park with a river site.

Never been there before and whilst I will check with the local bait/fishing supply shop, I was wondering if anyone on here could give me a heads up for the area.

Will be land based fishing (bait and sp) so any ideas would be good.

My missus loves whiting, flathead fishing so I thought walking and fishing sand banks at low and mid tide would be the go.

I don't mind if there is a boat hire at the place and perhaps a couple of days with good weather I wouldn't mind taking on a hire boat (as i am not fully rigged to take my tinnie with me at this stage - boat rack OK, motor stand Ok only looking for a collapsable trailer) then I am fully mobile..

Any way guys you get the general idea and I/we don't really care if we get fish, just like the thought of fishing each day and giving us the best opportunity for a great day and perhaps a fish or two for dinner.

Thanks in advance.
Pete

Bay_Ray
08-10-2011, 05:08 PM
G'day Pete, Nice area and plenty to catch landbased up and down the river from where you are staying. I have seen Trevally Big Queenfish on a regular basis and even Mackeral caught straight off the public boat ramp off Ross st. SP's are always good to use up and down the burrum, the water clarity at burrum heads is often very good also. If bait fishing, I would highly suggest getting a yabby pump and heading toward the mouth at low tide which is a short walk from where you are staying. Castnetting live poddy mullet and herring is definately another option. Throwing a few Sp's around the channel markers at low tide nearly always produces good flathead and even big bream even in the warmer months. I do not know of any boat hire businesses around burrum heads, but if you do find one, head accross the river to the "black bank" is what us locals used to call it, It is straight accross the river almost directly accross from the boat ramp, It is a deep ledge that runs parallel to the bank and holds big cod, jewfish, grunter and jacks.
Good luck
Ray

Raesen
08-10-2011, 07:28 PM
Firstly my apologies to all the female members of this fishing site. "Hi gents" on this thread should have been "Hi all fishers".......

Ray thanks for the info and much appreciated. I will certainly have the yabby pump on board and keep in ming all your tips.... Cheers and thanks.
Pete

Any more alternatives much appreciated or if this is it..... Thanks

Pete

cuzzamundi
09-10-2011, 12:32 AM
Mate if you're up for a bit if a drive one day take a look at Woodgate side of the river. Have seen barra pulled from the boat ramp on the northern side, as well as mackerel from the channel towards the mouth., and plenty of bream, grunter, flatties. Watch the weed that tends to come in droves at times in a south easter if you're fishing the mouth. You can always try around the point for whiting and flathead on the big bar there. Heaps of rays to keep you occupied, also. Also have a look at theodolite creek just to the north of woodgate - another good flattie haven. Heaven that area, mate. Hope you have a good trip.

Cuzza

Sheik
09-10-2011, 08:13 PM
Yep, agree with walking out to the markers on a run out or run in. YOu can go a good kilometre at least that's what it seems. But watch out for happy moments, there are heaps of them all along the Burrum. Upstream of town there's not much chance to fish but yabbies and soft plastics would be the go, just walking along the sand bank. Most of the best fish are caught off the ramp. Nice bream, good cod, and has been mentioned, queenies and mac. Try cast netting near the bat ramps but make sure you throw downstream and a good way out from the ramp. Tide really rips through here so you may need big lead to get your sp's dodwn to the sand. good luck, it's a lovely part of the world.