PDA

View Full Version : Which iphone app tracks your trip on google maps?

the gecko
08-10-2011, 10:38 AM
Hi Guys,
Im looking for an iphone app that will track my trip, and show my position to the wife back home on a google map, or something similar. It would give her peace of mind to know if Im still on the water, or safely on the road home. I have been known to be late home a few times, lol. There seem to be a few apps around that track you, has anyone used any of these?

Will it use much battery power? Will it increase my phone bill much? Can they run 24 hrs/7 days a week?

cheers
Andrew

Bay_Ray
08-10-2011, 05:21 PM
I got a few gps tracking apps on my android that work well, Gps tracker is one It wont have too much of an impact on your battery life, It will definately not have any affect on your phone bill whatsoever if you have data included with your phone company and yes they can run 24/7 if you want it to as you can turn it on and off manually. I would suggest do a search on the apple app store for gps trackers and I am sure you will find plenty of free and paid ones.
Cheers
Ray

charlie09
08-10-2011, 05:24 PM
Navionics Andrew. Exy for an app but well worth the money. I used to navigate before I got my Garmin chart plotter.

Cheers
Vince

SCOTTYGC
08-10-2011, 10:30 PM
Think it's called find my phone

Can't remember how to set it up but you can log on to a website and find your phone if you loose it
I think you can disable the phone while your at it

It's a apple feature that came with the iPhone 4

SCOTTYGC
08-10-2011, 10:44 PM
Just had a look and it's a apple app

And free from the app store

charlie09
09-10-2011, 07:52 AM
D'oh!! Sorry Andrew should have read all your post before I commented on it.....my bad

Cheers;D
Vince

the gecko
09-10-2011, 02:47 PM
Gps Tracker with instamap is a good combination. Ive downloaded this, and it had a little trouble locating me in a 6 storey building, but found me OK when I stood on the balcony. yes its free and links to google maps, but it only works when it is running in the foreground, so if you use the phone for anything else, gps stops running. As soon as you hit the home button on the iphone, gps tracker stops working.Im stil looking for an app that will run in the background.

Apples find my phone runs in the background, but will only run on iphones or ipad. We have powerbook g4 at home, so Im looking for something that links in to a map system that be checked on a laptop. I dont want to buy an ipad for home just yet.

I guess I need something like what parents use to track their kids.......

Thanks for the feedback guys.

ANdrew

Bay_Ray
09-10-2011, 03:42 PM
The one your looking for is called "open gps tracker" it plots your position on google maps in real time, and it is free. Not sure about iphone though, they should have it.

the gecko
10-10-2011, 08:41 PM
thx bayray, open gps does run in the background, but only works on android. I guess I'll have to troll thru the iphone app shop a bit more, there must be one out there that does this. Whod have thought android would overtake iphone?

cheers
Andrew

Bay_Ray
11-10-2011, 06:25 AM
Gday Andrew, Have a look through here Hope it helps http://www.locimobile.com/apps/
Cheers,
Ray

Lancair
11-10-2011, 06:41 AM
Try searching for Google Latitude. Seems to do what u want.

outwide1
12-10-2011, 03:28 PM
Im an absolute idiot when it comes to my iphone or anything electronic except for my
electronics on board my boat.So im hoping someone can help with my question,
how do you get the coordinates off your iphone when it shows the places you have taken photos.I have been showen that it indicates where the picture has been taken but no marks given.There must be something out there in apple world that enables you to do it.
Cheers Mick

Aussie123
12-10-2011, 05:00 PM
C-Map released there new I-Phone app about 5 days ago.
It is called Plan2Nav and its free or a $20 upgrade for full map functions.

greenie.77
13-10-2011, 06:54 PM
Check your pm andrew. 'Find my iPhone' is exactly what you want!

the gecko
13-10-2011, 07:51 PM
thx greenie. i was under the impression Find my phone app only works on iOS, and cant be seen on a laptop running OSX. If you have got it working, then I'll go and set it up. I prefer genuine apple apps anyway.

cheers
Andrew

Greg P
15-10-2011, 05:56 PM
Try this when/if it comes our way - outstanding from Garmin

http://youtu.be/51xwBeX8g7s

GABBA110360
16-10-2011, 11:29 AM
i have Navionics software in my phone.
it was bloody handy this morning before daylight in the fog to find my way up the clarence.
it would have been near impossible without it till i got to the big wharf
ken

Lancair
18-10-2011, 08:39 AM
Find my iPhone only works in the USA, AFAIK. Google Latitude is free and works.

GABBA110360
18-10-2011, 07:23 PM
htc desire / navionics work fine as well

greenie.77
19-10-2011, 11:11 PM
I have find my iPhone here in ballina and it works fine. I have mine, my wifes and the kids iPod all linked to it. If I'm cooking dinner I use it to work out when to put the meal on based on how long till she gets home!!

Rhinoc
20-10-2011, 05:47 AM
I have find my iPhone here in ballina and it works fine. I have mine, my wifes and the kids iPod all linked to it. If I'm cooking dinner I use it to work out when to put the meal on based on how long till she gets home!!

Agreed - the Find my iPhone feature inherent in the latest models of the iPhone (4 and 4s) is the perfect solution as it runs in the background with no need to download an application. The only limiting factor is that it will still need some data coverage to send it's location through. Your wife can log in to the iCloud service at any time and see where you are.

Rhino