PDA

View Full Version : Project Boat

Fast Break
07-10-2011, 07:39 PM
I have a 14 foot fibreglass half cab that I obtained from a co-worker. Her son originally purchased the boat as a project. He had started to do some work on it but lost interest and the boat has sat in her back yard for a long period of time. The boat is on a trailer that although is usable is only in average condition.

I am not sure what make of a boat it is.

The floor and bunks have been removed, the outside of the boat has been sanded and it looks like there has been some work done on the transom.

The stringers are still in it but are rotten and need replacing and the inside paint is peeling off and will need sanding and painting.

Basically the boat needs to be taken back to its basic shell and the inside rebuilt. The hull itself is in good condition but requires painting.

The windscreen and the windows have been taken out but are there ready to be reinstalled.

I am not sure if I am going to have the expertise or time to complete this project so my question is:

Does anyone know of any business or people out there who purchase boats in this type of condition.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Darryl

Apollo
07-10-2011, 07:49 PM
Stick up some photos darryl and some one here may be interested.

Jarrah Jack
07-10-2011, 08:47 PM
You could try putting it on ebay as a project but don't expect much more that a few hundred for it. The trailer can be worth more than the hull if its ok.

wirlybird
08-10-2011, 04:22 PM
You could try putting it on ebay as a project but don't expect much more that a few hundred for it. The trailer can be worth more than the hull if its ok.

second that

also depending on the make you may find the bare hull is more palatable for some home DIYers others are just more land fill. Post up some pics and let the peanut gallery decide. But beware if you think its cheap to do up a boat your kidding yourself.

Dirtfloor
08-10-2011, 09:30 PM
I've just done it. Bought a "cheap boat " on eBay about three years ago. Almost ready to go on the water. It's cost me about 6 grand all up, but I've really enjoyed the journey. It's 5.5 metres and I rebuilt the boat and the trailer. My advice is haunt the boat ramps and boat shops. Look at as many boats as you can. Read any/everything about boat building. Any handyman can do the work. It's just coming up with the best way to do it!!. Ben Lexen, designer of Australia Two said, " as soon as we got the boat into the water, we knew we could build a better boat." Every time I finished a section, I figured out a better/quicker/cheaper/easier way to do it. Next time!!!
Do it if you WANT to, for the satisfaction of saying," I built that boat". Don't count the cost, coz if you do it won't happen. Also, there are a lot of boaties out there who will offer advice. Most of it is good. but filter. This site is a good place to start. If you need any help, I'll happy to tell how I did it, my way, (not neccessarily the best way). Safe!

Jarrah Jack
09-10-2011, 08:04 AM
I've just done it. Bought a "cheap boat " on eBay about three years ago. Almost ready to go on the water. It's cost me about 6 grand all up, but I've really enjoyed the journey. It's 5.5 metres and I rebuilt the boat and the trailer. My advice is haunt the boat ramps and boat shops. Look at as many boats as you can. Read any/everything about boat building. Any handyman can do the work. It's just coming up with the best way to do it!!. Ben Lexen, designer of Australia Two said, " as soon as we got the boat into the water, we knew we could build a better boat." Every time I finished a section, I figured out a better/quicker/cheaper/easier way to do it. Next time!!!
Do it if you WANT to, for the satisfaction of saying," I built that boat". Don't count the cost, coz if you do it won't happen. Also, there are a lot of boaties out there who will offer advice. Most of it is good. but filter. This site is a good place to start. If you need any help, I'll happy to tell how I did it, my way, (not neccessarily the best way). Safe!

Hey DF Why don't you put up a thread of your rebuild and your ideas. Those things always go well on here.

Cheers JJ

Dirtfloor
09-10-2011, 09:48 AM
Hey DF Why don't you put up a thread of your rebuild and your ideas. Those things always go well on here.

Cheers JJ

I might just do that, JJ!

fandtm666
09-10-2011, 10:36 AM
that would be great DF im in the process of doing a full rebuild so any and all
tips are always welcome