PDA

View Full Version : live bait tank pick up+ pump options, keep blowing pump!!!!

den001
06-10-2011, 08:35 PM
hi,

im completely rebuilding my boat and have a new bait tank on the way..

with my last one i had dramas with forgetting to turn the pump off and then driving the boat away and the water pickup would kill the pump....

what are my other options? should i connect a relay up to the pump so when the engine starts the pump automatically turns off??

is there any other type of system which will keep fresh water pumping thru the tank without me having to always turn it off and worry about the pump???

also is a rule 500 good enough to prime the hose and fill the tank??

is there any pump that is self priming?

i don't mind adding another pickup just for the driving pickup, and having the pump on another bracket???

all help appreciated

denis

Fed
07-10-2011, 05:30 AM
I leave my bait pump on all the time without killing the pump den, 10 years so far so I don't know what's happening to you.
72285 72286
Usually running around 25 Knots but often over 35 Knots too without any problems.

What's happening to your pumps?

OPTI
07-10-2011, 05:50 AM
imop ,the transom mount bilbe pump set up is a waste of time .
im running a 1 inch thru hull fitting with a scoop ,the scoop is important in this set up .1 inch gate valve on the skin fitting ,1 inch hose to a jabsco cyclone pump.these are a run dry pump ,but dont self prime ,one of the reasons you need the scoop.but this set up works great,and the pump is silent ,through the spray rail in my tank it keeps slimeys happy all day.

Fed
07-10-2011, 06:05 AM
Wow, tough crowd in here today. I don't know why you'd say that Opti?

Another thought Den, you did drill the hole in the bottom of the pump right?

wags on the water
07-10-2011, 09:06 AM
I leave my bait pump on all the time without killing the pump den, 10 years so far so I don't know what's happening to you.
72285 72286
Usually running around 25 Knots but often over 35 Knots too without any problems.

What's happening to your pumps?

im running a 1 inch thru hull fitting with a scoop ,the scoop is important in this set up .1 inch gate valve on the skin fitting ,1 inch hose to a jabsco cyclone pump.these are a run dry pump ,but dont self prime ,one of the reasons you need the scoop.but this set up works great,and the pump is silent ,through the spray rail in my tank it keeps slimeys happy all day.
What works for some may not work for others - clearly. Don't you think that the person starting the thread can take all the positive info and make up their own mind. There's a big difference to bolting a fitting to the transom and drilling a hole in the bottom of a perfectly good hull.

den001
07-10-2011, 09:49 AM
Thanks for the replies guys.

I'd prefer not to run a thru hull type pump.

Yes the basket of the pump had been drilled slightly larger than the pickup hole.

My pump keeps popping the fuse. So I thought that it is because of the pickup and pump fighting eachother whilst driving

Fed
07-10-2011, 10:56 AM
The problem will be something else Den.
Fuse too small, cables shorting where you connected them to the pump lead, crap in the pump impeller, faulty pump?
BTW I'm only using the 360 pump but it's physically the same size as the 500.

den001
07-10-2011, 11:24 AM
Its not faulty wiring or short circuiting. I'm a electrician and it had been wired and protected correctly. It could be a faulty pump, I havnt ruled that out yet.

I will try and give it a go again but this time with a larger rule pump. If it is a pump vs pickup issue it may be solved with a larger pump. I will try a 500 or 750 this time.

If all else fails I will wire in a relay so when the motor is turned off the pump activates. And when the motor turns on the pump turns off. All on a master switch. This way i know there will be no issues with my theory.

My boat used to go 70kmh. Now with new motor I'm guessing 90+kmh, Not that I will go that fast, but it will be a shitload of water applying pressure on a powered impeller in motion.

This is what got me thinking, what if the impeller was being forced to turn the opposite way and the little motor was fighting it. There goes the fuse.

Aussie123
07-10-2011, 12:07 PM
If you are worried about water pressure screwing the pump just setup a separate pickup to push directly into the tank and bypassing the pump.
The other option is to fit a Y section fitting into the hose above the pump and fit the pickup to that.

thelump
07-10-2011, 12:52 PM
Had the same thoughts as you Den but I used to remember to turn it off but kept forgetting to turn it on and all the slimies would die. I contemplated putting a brother label on the sounder saying "Turn the pump on ya Goose" but instead thought I would try just leaving it on. Only done one trip doing this and no issues as yet. Pump is a rule 360 with pickup the same setup as Feds.

den001
07-10-2011, 03:25 PM
i think i will put it back as per normal (same as Fed's setup) and give it another go with a larger pump, then if all else fails i will try the relay setup.

if i was to y piece in a seperate pickup i think i would loose water thru the pickup and would have to prime the pimp again???

Horse
07-10-2011, 04:27 PM
I was killing pumps mounted on the transom scoop and found that the water pressure was pushing weed and rubbish into the pump and jamming the impeller which in turn screws the motor. I fitted one of the Rule mesh screens and it now works perfectly

deckie
07-10-2011, 05:34 PM
Yeah what Horse said..u should have some sort of strainer. Just another possibility to "rule" out Either the one u can buy that fits in or some mesh between the basket and stainless fitting. The other thing to watch out for is sand getting in...do u beach much ? Beware the sand wash in shallow water then turning the pump on. Sand is quartz which is only one notch under garnet used for sandpaper...makes a mess of small impellers.

One little thing i;ve come across by accident is a mate bought one of those cheapo $25 1100gph chinese pumps off ebay to check it out and mounted on his transom pickup. Its like a total knockoff of a rule..not just colours but more importantly dimensions. Seems ALMOST identical..plan was to check it out and test his pickup/sytem and then when it busted fit the rule...but it hasnt gone bung after many many trips already. We rigged a diverter for a frenzy spray out the back for trolling and the cheapo just keeps on giving.

den001
07-10-2011, 05:47 PM
Thanks guys,

My pump was a genuine rule bought from bias. But I think
I will stick to this setup and run a mesh like said

Thanks guys

deckie
07-10-2011, 06:18 PM
maybe before chucking the old bugga out, take it apart and rule out a few things it might be from above suggestions. Cant hurt.

Nathan Tuskes
09-10-2011, 05:28 PM
you could try a flowrite system, like they use on most bass/bream boatsthese days. pumps in fresh water when off the pad, and just recycles the waterwhen on the pad...... depending on the system, you can pump out the water inthe livewell or recycle the water when trailering with the turn of a flushmount dial etc jut chucking it out their!