PDA

View Full Version : School holidays, kids and PB's off Mooloolaba

Fast Break
03-10-2011, 08:51 PM
Just spent the last 2 weeks at the sunny coast fishing and was able to put together a few fishing trips.

First trip was with my 2 sons Will and Matt. As well as being Matts first offshore trip it was a chance for me to play around and learn to use my new Raymarine fishfinder/gps combo. As Matt has a tendancy for travel sickness we fished the close in reefs off of Mooloolaba. I played deckie for the session keeping the boys baited up and rerigging after what seemed like a hundred snags. The boys caught many under size fish and they both ended up bringing home a grassy each which they were very happy with.

2nd trip was with Will and my mate Robbo and we headed down to Caloundra 12 mile chasing snaps. Conditions were great but the fish didn't really play the game but we managed to bring in a mixed bag of snaps (no real quality), grassys, venus tusk fish, moses perch and Robbo also caught a nice goat fish. The bonus of this trip was that we had plenty of close whale action and we also hand fed a dolphin that came right up to the back of the boat and took a pilly out of Robbos hand.

The wind blew hard from the south for a few days so we didn't fish. The day the wind dropped off I ventured out to Murphys with Will and my brother Mark hoping that the southerly wind had brought the fish on the bite. The day started out with some small reefies hussars and a grassy and then the snaps come on the bite. We ended up with 11 snaps 3 going over 70cm. I firstly got a PB for me of 71 cm and then my brother Mark caught a 72cm. I then topped it off with another PB at 73cm. It was a great session and one to remember. we were fishing 6 kilo braid with a 14lb vanish leader, 12gram jig head 4/0 hook with 5 inch gulp jerk shad in sardine colour. The snaps loved those gulps and we also caught a few on on a ball sinker straight to the hook and squid bait.

Looking at some of the other threads there have been some great catches so congrats to all who have been out in the past couple of weeks.

Fast Break

jason p
03-10-2011, 09:25 PM
well done mate, sounds like the boys had a blast. some good fishin you guys had, congrats on the pb's.

cheers jp

Stu Dows
04-10-2011, 09:01 AM
Nice report what do you think of the Raymarine?

bballfisho
04-10-2011, 08:52 PM
great snaps!! alex told me you and mark got onto a few

connor

Fast Break
04-10-2011, 09:52 PM
G'day Connor, yer we got onto a few. We couldn't have you and Alex out fishing us old fellas.

Fast Break
04-10-2011, 10:04 PM
G'day Stu Dows, as I said I have only just started using it. I was impressed though and it is easy to use. I haven't used a combo before, always had a separate fishfinder and gps and I wasn't sure if I would like the combo but any worries I had are now gone. I felt very comfortable using it after using it only a couple of times.

If it has one draw back is that some of the text in the menus is only small print which did make it a bit hard to read at times, but then again my eyes are not what they used to be.

I am very happy with it, showed bait schools very clearly, and the GPS and tracking function kept putting me right back on the right drift.