PDA

View Full Version : Info on a Stessl 6.1 MAko

whitebeach
03-10-2011, 09:56 AM
Hi,

Anyone ever owned or have any info on a Stessl 6.1 Mako?

boatboy50
03-10-2011, 04:39 PM
Hey,

The two names you mentioned are two different boats.

Are you looking at the Stessl 6.1m (in what version, Cuddy, Console, Centre Cab) http://www.stessl.com.au/ or Mako/Makocraft 6.1m? Two very different manufacturers building a similar boat. Google Makocraft for plenty of interesting stories about them and their business antics.

I can answer questions on the new Stessl range, just ask.

Darren

rosco1974
03-10-2011, 05:13 PM
had a 610 makocraft wasn't too bad a boat did the job i wanted it to do but at the end of a day its still a tinny.u get bounced about in 1 thats for sure,had ql trim tabs which made it a better boat to ride in,mine had a 140 on it it done around the 30knts wot and cruised around the 22knts.as mentioned above had a few issues which where fixed or sort of fixed then was told no more items would be fixed under warranty...there warranty isnt worth the paper its written on.my boat came with 4 yrs warranty in realistic time i got 3 months and that was not sure bout stessl boats but am sure darren will help you out with them
cheers rosco

whitebeach
03-10-2011, 06:42 PM
Hi,
reckon it is a Stessl 6.0 Cuddy cabin. But the dealer is also calling it a Mako.
http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=11307973
What do you think of them?

GBC
03-10-2011, 07:27 PM
Stessl did 3 different sized boats in the Mako lineup - all cuddys. Nothing to do with Makocraft, and the dealer has it right.
I don't know how they go, just that they exist.

boatboy50
03-10-2011, 08:23 PM
Hey,

It's an older boat, that's where the confusion come in. Can't comment much on it other than it's totally different build quality to the latest Stessl Boats. Plate bottoms vs pressed on the older model.

Just out of interest for you, here is pricing on a brand new 2011 model, complete with 4 stroke power.

http://coastalpowerboats.boatpoint.ninemsn.com.au/boats-for-sale/details.aspx?R=7743028

The new model is much bigger than the old model, so a 560 might even be more of a comparison.

http://coastalpowerboats.boatpoint.ninemsn.com.au/boats-for-sale/details.aspx?R=7742898

PM me any questions about these.

Regards

Darren

whitebeach
04-10-2011, 09:18 AM
Thanks, interesting. What do you mean by the new models are much bigger? Surely a 6.1m measures just that. Are you talking about the beam?

Redhunter
04-10-2011, 09:23 AM
I had a stessl platerex hull that i bought new around 8 years ago she used to bang like a dunny door, it was a centre console 5.2, cracked some of the ribs in it after only 3 months
i would be staying well clear.
steve

boatboy50
04-10-2011, 10:29 AM
Hey,

The new models are much wider, and deeper than the older models. The old one would easily fit inside a new one.

What Redhunter says about the older models is correct, that's why the boats are built completely differently and under new ownership today. Alf Stessl has nothing to do with Stessl Boats anymore.

Darren

whitebeach
04-10-2011, 11:05 AM
It is a 2001 and the dealer is saying it is a plate boat. Is there a way of finding this out for sure?

Redhunter
04-10-2011, 02:39 PM
platerex hulls were their first attempt at building plate boats, they consist of stringers and box shape construction, unfortunatley in the stessl I owned it cracked along the ribs, if it's not a platerex hull it's not plate...
steve

Spiderpig
05-10-2011, 03:28 PM
I have a makocraft built in 2006 and purchased it new. My brother in law has a 5.5m makocraft centre console (2005) Makocraft was built by the Stessl family when it was on the Gold Coast and they ARE plate boats. They had to change their name because they sold off the stessl company.

Mine is an excellent boat and I have been very happy with it. I regularly head 100k out chasing reefies and can fish four out of it more comfortably than a Haines 680 encore or 685 CC outsider (which I fish out of regularly). I can't speak of how the newer ones are built, but the ones made on the Goldy are great boats.

rodneyk
05-10-2011, 05:09 PM
I have a makocraft built in 2006 and purchased it new. My brother in law has a 5.5m makocraft centre console (2005) Makocraft was built by the Stessl family when it was on the Gold Coast and they ARE plate boats. They had to change their name because they sold off the stessl company.

Mine is an excellent boat and I have been very happy with it. I regularly head 100k out chasing reefies and can fish four out of it more comfortably than a Haines 680 encore or 685 CC outsider (which I fish out of regularly). I can't speak of how the newer ones are built, but the ones made on the Goldy are great boats.
Better than a 680 haines or 685 c/craft you would have to be joking or just got no idea and have a compleat disrepect for your body????

fisho_83
05-10-2011, 05:17 PM
Hi,

Anyone ever owned or have any info on a Stessl 6.1 Mako?

Hey mate. My mate owns one of these (cuddy cabin) picked it up 2nd hand a few years ago for around 20 grand. I have been out on it numerous times off here from Mackay. He made it to the reef easily in it- about 50 miles. At rest it is very stable- great for fishing. The layout of the boat is great and it has one of the best fishing spaces available. 4 blokes can fish from the back with heaps of room. The cabin is fairly simple, but you can get an OK nights sleep in there. The riding ability is OK, but when it all boils down it is pretty much a big tinnie so it can get a bit rough in it. He has a Honda 130HP (I think) on the back which seems to do the job nicely. In a nutshell for what he paid for it, I think it does a great job.

Spiderpig
05-10-2011, 08:01 PM
Better than a 680 haines or 685 c/craft you would have to be joking or just got no idea and have a compleat disrepect for your body????

I meant at rest, fishing, it is definitely more comfortable and roomier, i didn't say travelling.

Dan5
05-10-2011, 09:00 PM
A mate has the smaller Stessle Fury....5.2mtr and bought it new....it HAD those stupid "track" rails on the underside of the hull.......they made the boat almost impossible to turn at mid speed say 15-20kts.......why the hell they thought that they were a good idea is beyond me they made the boat dangerous to operate and would chine walk at a decent speed.....badly,scary stuff.They were supposed to give the hull lift and better high speed performance.....They were also a bastard of a thing putting the boat on the trailer as the trailer had to be fully submerged or they would hookup putting it back on,it had to virtually float on float off.

We cut them off and welded "normal" planing strakes on it's place.....even the dealer agreed that it made it a better boat.....still not a good boat though.

Have a look from the transom......they are almost 'round bildged' meaning no definate deadrise,they roll at rest and handle very lazily.

Going off the smaller one i would not touch one.

Dan

The_Tub
06-10-2011, 09:21 AM
G'day

i have a 2006 530 canyon runner built at the goldie with 115/2s on it,it's been a good boat.although not as comfortable in transit as a glass boat it does the job just abit slower,good to fish out of very stable at rest and so far the hull has taken many a flogging.

cheers mal