PDA

View Full Version : Fraser shoals

Wahoo73
03-10-2011, 09:35 AM
Managed to get out to the shoals last wend (24th Sept) off the top of Fraser. Did an overnighter in the boat with my girlfriend off Rooney Frid and Sat night. Had awesome conditions for a full day Sat and a bit of Sun morning on the shoals. Fished the bottom and bagged out on tuskies and mixed reef fish, and then stumbled on some spanish while trolling. Managed 6 all up since we had no more esky room. Cast poppers at the GT but no joy. Heaps of whales around. Only two other boats out with us all day. Bar crossing was flat so an awesome trip all round. Good times!! Only got two pics of the spanish before the phone went dead.

Been up there a few times now and have been met by Boating and Fisheries everytime at Urangan ramp.
Cheers

thelump
03-10-2011, 09:42 AM
Nice work on the spanish mate. What was the water temp?

bagdout
03-10-2011, 04:32 PM
crackin trip there mate, did ya get a weight on the spanish? have been out a couple times off mooloolaba in the last week chasin them but yet to get one.

cheers, aaran.

Wahoo73
05-10-2011, 07:37 AM
Lump, water temp was about 23 C. We think they were spawning as they were densely packed in one area and early October? Should be on the way down south slowly.

Bagdout, nah dont carry scales on the boat, but that was the biggest i reckon about 18 or maybe 20 kg? Awesome trip up there when the weather good.

Dont normally wear gloves when handliing fish... cut my finger badly just before we got that one

bagdout
05-10-2011, 03:46 PM
nice mate. did lures do the damage? have been off mooloolaba a few times in the last couple weeks but havent come across any yet. cant wait to land that first one of the season... they shouldnt be far away!

cheers, aaran.

Wahoo73
05-10-2011, 06:44 PM
Yeh mate two different sizes of xraps with wire. Noosa should hopefully fire soon as well:)

steelydan
06-10-2011, 01:23 AM
Nice report wahoo, my brother did a trip out there a few weeks ago and bagged on tuskies and other coral reef fin fish, no mackrel for themn though. I think we saw you there same time last year, white trailcraft half cabin. Couldnt make it this year as im sitting in sunny london.

Wahoo73
06-10-2011, 05:43 PM
Dan, yeh i think i remember you guys last year, from Bundy?? Awesome part of the world but you need good fuel range to put a few days together. I upgraded the boat since last time so more comfortable and have a few more horseys to get me over the bar. Good luck in sunny london!