PDA

View Full Version : Lowrance HDS5 Software

Knotpretty
03-10-2011, 09:33 AM
Seeking advice on what software to run with my Lowrance HDS5 sounder. I want to use my computer to manage my waypoints with it . mojo

myusernam
03-10-2011, 12:48 PM
lowrance global data manager. download for free from the lowrance website

Moonlighter
03-10-2011, 02:25 PM
I also use Lowrance GDM. Works fine, a bit clunky at times, and has a few glitches every now and then. But does the job, by and large, and is free!

One issue I found with the HDS data is that if you have saved plot trails and then save all your GPS data to a SD card, GDM doesn't like the longer plot trails and will refuse to open the file. Solution is to fire up the HDS, delete the plot trails, and save the file again (note: remember to save the files as version 2), then it works fine.

GDM allows you to open your list of waypoints, edit them (change names etc) and save. Also allows you to add new waypoints to the file via your computer keyboard which is much much quicker than on the HDS screen, you can then upload very easily. Can also create routes etc, and GDM displays the marks on a rough outline map, the map is pretty useless but the marks do display on it in their correct relative positions.

Cheers

ML

Knotpretty
03-10-2011, 02:56 PM
ML I have downloaded the GDM and it can up as an American map where do I go from here ? mojo

Moonlighter
03-10-2011, 06:19 PM
Enter some local waypoints, then select the option to centre one of the waypoints on the map, it will do that and you're away.

Cheers

ML

marty666
05-10-2011, 07:01 AM
are you running navionics maps if so you can download a free pc based softwear that has the same maps and fully interfaces with your hds unit the same way as the GDM does but i find it a little easier to use as i am looking at the same maps that i would be out on the water.

Moonlighter
05-10-2011, 12:44 PM
Hi Marty

What's the free software you are referring to? Can you post a link please?

Cheers

ML

aardvarkscotty
06-10-2011, 12:16 PM
reckon marty666 is referring to this.... http://store.navionics.com/faqs/installation_help
if you click on the enter store (and you have a navionics card) you can download the navionics pc app (and also update your chart).
You do need Adobe Air installed (but it tells you this if you havent got it).
I've found the navionics pc app is ok, it shows the chart info that you'd see in your chartplotter but the interface is a bit clumsy (but it is 'free').
You can add waypoints, create routes, upload/download your waypoints etc (just dont put them on the map card! use a separate SD card)
My preferred app is still Oziexplorer but you need scanned maps for it to use (and its not free) but has lots more functionality.

marty666
13-10-2011, 06:30 AM
reckon marty666 is referring to this.... http://store.navionics.com/faqs/installation_help
if you click on the enter store (and you have a navionics card) you can download the navionics pc app (and also update your chart).
You do need Adobe Air installed (but it tells you this if you havent got it).
I've found the navionics pc app is ok, it shows the chart info that you'd see in your chartplotter but the interface is a bit clumsy (but it is 'free').
You can add waypoints, create routes, upload/download your waypoints etc (just dont put them on the map card! use a separate SD card)
My preferred app is still Oziexplorer but you need scanned maps for it to use (and its not free) but has lots more functionality.

thats the one no nedd secound guessing cause you are using what you would in the boat

jason p
13-10-2011, 09:21 AM
just a question, when installing the pc app it comes up with a screen saying

Locating your Navionics card...

Please make sure that you have inserted it into your card reader and that it is not write-protected.

now my question is, the card reader on the side of your laptop the same as a standalone (plug in) card reader that they show on this screen or do you require a certain type of reader?? i have my card in the laptop card reader but the programe doesnt seem to reconise it.

cheers jp

aardvarkscotty
13-10-2011, 10:34 AM
no special reader is required (navionics used to require a special reader that they supplied but this is no longer the case), as long as you followed the install correctly any reader will work.
Does the card reader work ok for other SD cards?
Maybe a reboot and try again?

If you're updating the card the write protect needs to be off (just put it back on afterwards to prevent any possible corruption).

marty666
13-10-2011, 05:53 PM
also make sure you have the latest adobe air version i had an older version and it did the same thing update via adobe site