PDA

View Full Version : boat and jetski course

stevel3
02-10-2011, 01:43 PM
I am about to get a jetski so needed to do a course to upgrade my boat license to include pwc. It was about 18 years ago when I got my boat license and not much was required back then to get it. Since getting my boat earlier this year after quite a lengthy break I had no idea about how much has changed, I couldnt even remeber which side of the markers to go. Fortunately putting in at Jacobs Well (lots of other boats) and taking the wife the first few times, we just watched to see where everyone else went. I had been thinking of doing something about updating my lack of knowledge on the water for a while now. While out and about the other day I went past the boat ramp opposite the Coast gaurd at Southport and saw a boat with sign writing on it about license testing. It was the Australian Boating College, I stopped off and had a chat and fortunately he was doing a class on Saturday (yesterday) so I booked in. There was only one other bloke booked in so that was good. On the day the bloke was a no show so I had 1 on 1 training. After asking a few questions he realised that I needed to brush up on all aspects and not just the jetski. He was very helpfull and it was definately $140 dollars well spent. I now feel much more confident for next time out on the water. I cant recommend him enough, his name is Graham Hillcoat and his number is 0755 262191 or 0418 717208. Also included in the price was a 12 month membership to the Coast gaurd, I am also a member of the VMR. That was also the first time I have ridden a jetski and I was surprised at how they feel. I thought they would be like a dirt bike on the water, but there not really and not like a boat either. It will take a bit of practise on one to get used to it but I am looking forward to getting one. 8-)

Seahorse
02-10-2011, 10:01 PM
Good luck on the ski. They are fantastic.
I got one and I also got a boat for fishing, just to stop the jet ski bashing.

stevel3
03-10-2011, 07:35 PM
thanks mate, as with most things it is a few who give all a bad rep. I am a boatie and that will not change on the ski. The thing that annoys me most is when they come close at full noise when you are trying to fish and relax. I can gaurantee that I will not be one of those riders and will be setting mine up with a fishing rack when I can afford it. Currently looking out for a low hour LXHO cruiser, preferably an 09 or 10 model. I have found one just trying to barter him down a bit.

MTAQ/BTAQ
04-10-2011, 06:55 AM
The new rule for jet ski's that comes in on 1 Jan 2012 is that if they are within 30 metres of a moving vessel then they must slow to 10 knots or less, also carry flares and v sheet (not in smooth waters) and only 2 on the ski if an unlicenced driver is the operator with kill switch attached to licenced operator.

robothefisho
04-10-2011, 06:13 PM
The new rule for jet ski's that comes in on 1 Jan 2012 is that if they are within 30 metres of a moving vessel then they must slow to 10 knots or less.

I can only hope that utter stupidity doesn't get thru by some miracle.

robothefisho
04-10-2011, 06:20 PM
The new rule for jet ski's that comes in on 1 Jan 2012 is that if they are within 30 metres of a moving vessel then they must slow to 10 knots or less.

I can only hope that utter stupidity doesn't get thru by some miracle.

stevel3
04-10-2011, 08:32 PM
I read about these new laws coming in January in the latest VMR magazine and it looks like it is going to happen. I dont understand how riding in a group is that dangerous. I think it would be worse if you get 10 to 15 skis going for a ride togehter and having to stay that far apart, it will be up to half a kilometre from front to rear.