PDA

View Full Version : Damaged Cavitation Plate...

Peter4
01-10-2011, 03:59 PM
I hit an underwater stump at Monduran on Thursday. It bent my prop and took a 3cm X 8cm chunk out of the anti-ventilation plate on my Honda 40HP four stroke.

Prop has been replaced but I now need someone to repair the plate. I have been told that it needs to be bent, welded and ground back to its original shape.

Anyone know someone (preferably in the Redlands or southside) that can do this type of work?

Your help would be appreciated...

Cheers

Pete

PS I got one small barra!;D

tunaticer
01-10-2011, 04:12 PM
Just wondering if there is a wrecked motor around you could get the lower leg casing off??
The corrosion factor on the cav plate after welding will be pretty high due to dis-similar metals and the weld metal will be different again. Certainly repairable but it could be not the best two years down the track.
I would be keeping my eyes open for a not working donk up for repair or wrecking.

wirlybird
01-10-2011, 04:17 PM
epifill, sand then paint. job done in fact if you do a good job you may not be able to tell and epifill is as hard as nails

cormorant
01-10-2011, 06:15 PM
Were you insured? If you were I would be going down that path and having the whole box stripped , checked it is all perfect and a new case.

Depends where on the cav plate and how close to seals as you need the heat not to distort the case so to welded properly it may need to be pulled apart.

I'd be having a very close look for other cracks around housing bolts and cracks around tilt trim when it is that bigger hit.

Talk to Spaniard King on here and get a opinion on if teh case is repairable and true cost if was done and approved under insurance for a replacement lower unit.

Mister
01-10-2011, 06:58 PM
Cavitation plate ?? How could that happen Peter4? Come on people lets get it right, no outboard ever made has a cavitation plate, anti-ventilation plate yes but lets not confuse cavitation with ventilation, totally, totally different things.

Steeler
01-10-2011, 07:17 PM
Perhaps you should alert all those manufacturers of foils also.

Mister
01-10-2011, 07:23 PM
Mate some people simply will never get it right :) Manufacturers you would expect should know better :-X

TheRealAndy
01-10-2011, 09:11 PM
Mate some people simply will never get it right :) Manufacturers you would expect should know better :-X

So the whole world calls it a cavitation plate, but they are all wrong?

NAGG
01-10-2011, 09:35 PM
same same ......call it what you want - the bloke needs a welder or advice !!!!

Chris

PS - Daz had his done recently .... but it would have been in the Sunny Coast area

Gon Fishun
01-10-2011, 11:07 PM
Google results. 1,280;00 for ventilation plate and 104;000 for cavitation plate.
Ventilation wins.:gossip:

TheRealAndy
02-10-2011, 06:25 AM
I have two different outboards and both manuals call it an anti-cavitation plate. Bugger.

Peter4
02-10-2011, 06:40 AM
Cavitation plate ?? How could that happen Peter4? Come on people lets get it right, no outboard ever made has a cavitation plate, anti-ventilation plate yes but lets not confuse cavitation with ventilation, totally, totally different things.

Google results. 1,280;00 for ventilation plate and 104;000 for cavitation plate.
Ventilation wins.:gossip:

I have two different outboards and both manuals call it an anti-cavitation plate. Bugger.

We can argue semantics later...this is not helpful at all.

Back to my original question - who knows someone in the Redlands or southside that can repair it?

By the way, the hit was quite minor and I was surprised at the amount of damage. I was travelling at around 6 knots and just accelearating to get on the plane.

I will post a pic later...

Cheers

Pete

Vitamin Sea
02-10-2011, 07:43 AM
Pete

Is it the Anti cav plate or is it the skeg under? I may know someone who can fix it for you, he is at Belmont.
A pic would be good

regards

VS

dreemon
02-10-2011, 07:58 AM
One thought is ( depending on the damage ) grind it till it's even on both sides and fit a permatrim , but definitely post a pic, Cheers

Fed
02-10-2011, 07:59 AM
Arguing the semantics could be helpful if it's the skeg I guess.

finga
02-10-2011, 08:37 AM
It'll be the skeg for sure.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/ce/Outboard_diagram-01.svg/350px-Outboard_diagram-01.svg.png

Peter4
02-10-2011, 08:45 AM
It'll be the skeg for sure.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/ce/Outboard_diagram-01.svg/350px-Outboard_diagram-01.svg.png

Not so Scott...according to your diagram it is the anti-ventilation plate that is damaged...

Jarrah Jack
02-10-2011, 08:52 AM
Could have been worse Peter, at least you didn't leave the lot behind for someone to use as an avatar.

finga
02-10-2011, 08:56 AM
Not so Scott...according to your diagram it is the anti-ventilation plate that is damaged...
Gees you must have bent the prop then if the bent prop hit the dodad.
I don't think I've ever seen that gismo broken by hitting something.
I've seen it broken by something hitting it though. Usually a hammer trying to get the leg off.

Have you got a picture Peter?? It might be a easy as fitting a laser foil or something to simply hide the damage.
Bugger eh :(

Spaniard_King
02-10-2011, 10:37 AM
keep in mind that any repair by welding will weaken the plate, so fixing and adding/refitting a foil is not a good idea.

if Insured go down that path, internal inspection is a very good idea.

Peter4
02-10-2011, 11:21 AM
Here is a pic of the damage...very interested in your opinion Garry. What do you think? I have comprehensive insurance through RACQ...

tunaticer
02-10-2011, 11:42 AM
Unlikely it will have internal damages I think. Drop the drain plug and check for any particulates in the oil, poke a magnetised wire in to pick up anything that doesn't drain easily. If nothing magnetic or nothing metallic is found in the oil, opt for the weld job if you are not overly worried about the corrosion factor down the line.
I would weld it up in that location, I had a mental image it was the rear half had been snapped off from a log being wedged into the prop. That forward edge would chip out fairly easily with a solid thump.
Go the weld job I reckon.

wirlybird
02-10-2011, 01:27 PM
Here is a pic of the damage...very interested in your opinion Garry. What do you think? I have comprehensive insurance through RACQ...

I would claim it then get a new lower gear case. Welding will change the composition of the surrounding metal and it will eventually get corrosion.

Spaniard_King
02-10-2011, 01:43 PM
Insurance would most likely weld that up. It's not near anything critical so welding is feasable. Did you replace the prop or repair it. Maybe worth a claim if the prop is totalled.

Underwater strike is an easy insurance claim.

Roughasguts
02-10-2011, 02:01 PM
Hmmmm looks like your transom saver did the damage!!
Can't imagine a piece of wood making a break a pinch and also a kink in the plate.

Cheers.

Leonida
02-10-2011, 08:55 PM
Were you insured? If you were I would be going down that path and having the whole box stripped , checked it is all perfect and a new case.

Depends where on the cav plate and how close to seals as you need the heat not to distort the case so to welded properly it may need to be pulled apart.

I'd be having a very close look for other cracks around housing bolts and cracks around tilt trim when it is that bigger hit.

Talk to Spaniard King on here and get a opinion on if teh case is repairable and true cost if was done and approved under insurance for a replacement lower unit.

X 2 some great advice here

Fed
03-10-2011, 08:11 AM
That's just plain weird Peter did you feel the hit?
+1 for welding here.

Jabba_
03-10-2011, 08:45 AM
Get the insurance company to fix it..

Vitamin Sea
03-10-2011, 06:21 PM
I hit a submerged rock at the ramp at South West Rocks (;D) last year in the 19C with the opti. First thing the mechanic said was to bring it in to make sure the gearbox and bits were ok.

Next was a insurance claim for new prop (old one was stuffed), $900 + worth, no problem.

I would probably try for a new lower unit first and see what they say, if the rest of the boat is in good order why do a sub standard job on repair?

For the record we are insured with RACQ as well.

Cheers

googarra
03-10-2011, 07:57 PM
Typical,

someone asks advice over something valid and gets flamed over some stupid big ego opinions of the minority, like the right name for it. 99 out of 100 people that own an outboard knows exactly what he means by cavitation plate, and he never ask what it was called, just what to do with it regarding the damage. This is exactly why I have never bothered to post anything here anymore, weekly outer reef trips 200km, tons of fish, lots of experience, why bother when you just slammed over something stupid from someone who has probably never been there or done that, when all you do is just have a valid opinion on something, which we are all entilted to have, its called a forum.

That little bump would never hurt any gearbox internals, it just got a hit either top or bottom on the thin section of alloy enough to break it. Side on it would take a big hit, but up or down it will easily break cast aluminium. A light tap from the top with a hammer of the cav plate, er sorry, anti ventilation plate, on the other side of the skeg, (hope I got that name right) would do exactly the same damage.

I could pulse mig weld that up and buff\paint that standing on my head and it would neither be ever seen or cause any corrosion problems and that is what any insurance repair would do.

Dont let a back yard bloke have a go at it, that is where the problems will start.

First post in 6 months, probably the last, still read it each day