PDA

View Full Version : Yabbies...Lots of them

Chong
29-09-2011, 04:37 PM
Photos of Yabbies covering the ground alongside Cooper Creek Nth of Ballera.
Apparently they are either feeding at night, or the water they are living in is shrinking, so nowhere to live, anyhow they are collecting them with broad mouth shovels, no net needed, most are bigger than a "Red Bull" can in length .

mate sent this to me...man there are some yabbies out bush

Cheers

rexgrunt
29-09-2011, 06:36 PM
cant be good for the local ecosystem

jason p
29-09-2011, 08:11 PM
wow bloody hundreds of them. saw a similar thing once with green tree frogs, thousands of them over the roads, it was like driving on bubble wrap. i didnt feel to good about driving over them but there wasnt much that we could of done.

jp

rabbi
29-09-2011, 10:50 PM
Theres a lot of gas fields out there??
Maybe the crayfish know something:P
Thats a huge migration, amazing!!
cheers.

PNG1M
03-10-2011, 08:29 AM
Yes, very interesting how (and why) they are coming out of the water like that in droves. I wonder if it usually happens at this time of year, or if its a completely 'one off'.

Maybe, as mentioned above there could be some contamination they can sense in the water. Or maybe they're just freaking out about something and acting weird.

Hopefully its not a mass migration of hungry carp thats driving them ashore.

MudRiverDan
03-10-2011, 10:43 AM
They should test the water..
Pretty incredible though.

hentr
04-10-2011, 08:04 AM
Yeah 'tis amazing. I work out there and saw it first hand. This was several months ago as the water receded and I reckon it is just reflection of the good times experienced in the Cooper of recent years. There is still plenty everywhere for a feed if that's your fancy. After working out there for 11 years it still amazes me where all the little crayfish (bait size) are.

Regards
Hentr

Axl
09-10-2011, 07:46 AM
I too worked at Ballera for 12 years and I have also seen this first hand it is an amazing site. As Chong said they are normally bigger than a XXX gold can.:o

Oh yeah and they are very tasty.;)

Theres no need to do any water tests this is normal when there water holls dry up they will either dig themselves in till the next wet or they will mirgrate. Ive seen them walking acroos the desert in the middle of nowhere absolutly amazing.:o

The Cooper Creek system has had a massive flush. I still work out here in the top end of SA now and it rained every month out here last year. Ive never seen anything like it in my 15 years and guys that have been out here for 30 years cant ever remember so much rain. Also with what flowed down from up north the channel country will be thriving for some time to come.:P