PDA

View Full Version : Clarence Gorge

tidemaster
27-09-2011, 03:02 PM
We are heading down to Clarence Gorge for ten days at christmas time for some R&R. Since I havent really targetted fresh water fish for 20 years and that was sooties and JP's in FNQ, has anyone got any tips for the area. I was planning on stocking up on a few spinnerbaits, hardbodies and a few blades. But before I shell out the heard earnt, is there any stand out lures for the area.

I will take the boat down, but being a 5.3 mtr glass Centre Console Im not so sure how much I will get to use it there. Looks like there is a bit of open water, but looking at google, the rock pools and gorge type areas look like fun to explore.

Anyway, and general comments would be appreciated.

fishfeeder
27-09-2011, 04:06 PM
My olds used to live on Wave Hill Station many years ago, I think its a farm Stay now. I have fished the top area with Bait and Fly but this was all many years ago now but I cant see it changing that much.
We only ever walked the edges and fish any spot that looked fishy, with that in mind you can see fish swimming as the water is crystal clear if its hasn't rained to much before you get there. It can get bloody hot there at Christmas so take lots of water and look out for Snakes.
Sorry but cant really help with Lure choice as I don't fish fresh anymore. Oh and some of the small creeks you cross on your way in have good fish in them aswell, just make sure you ask for permission before entering any properties.
I am sure your going to be surprised at the beauty of the areas along the gorge, So take your camera along

Cheers
Brett

murf
27-09-2011, 05:58 PM
only been there in a full flood :( so no hints on fishing but there is a great swimming hole with natural slippery slide in the rocks as well as a great jumping spot under one of the bridges ;) ask old mate for directions and the kids will love it

5.3 glass sounds big for the river and there are lots of rocks, I wouldn't take my old 4.75m tinny there but a 4.2 tiller is great

mate it gets hot there and I mean hot, you can not put a bare foot on the ground so as Brett said lots of water and sun coverage

hope the bass are biting for ya

cheers Murf

blackjew
09-10-2011, 11:08 AM
Gday mate i strongly dont recomend you trying to take your big boat any further up the clarence than Eatonsville,and as you know Google Earth is not updated for a year or 3 there is patches of rocks everywher up there some are just under the surface.theres an island there just upstream from the crown Hotel its a good ramp at the Crown too Launch there . Grafton the island you see across the way is called Susan island on the right side of this island DANGER will robinson DANGER towards the tip of that island and all the way to the bank going straight towards the bank infront of you and on the right hand side the water is usually about 2 feet deep,ther must be a deep spot there somewhere but i have had half a dozen goes and i cant find it .
Dont even try to attempt going on the right side. STAY LEFT and about 100mrt or so further upstream there is a big boulder that pokes its head out .This water is shallow all the way to the right bank.
On the left of the island its 20 or so feet you can go up past the Eatonsville boat ramp but then it gets tricky ,not to mention the little bare rock bars that are up towards the gorge Most people take plastic yaks ,they can take the smashing into rocks that can happen .Honestly the gorge is a prety spot ,and good fishing to ,do you plan to camp at the shack on the hill,and like Bret and Murf said the joe blakes are everywhere between the shack and the water theres about 300 mtrs of long grass. Drive down to the water is a must .Its a long rocky bumpy road that is 4WD even though we got told yer no probs you will make it in your camry wagon,We did but i would not tell anyone to take a 2 wd in there ,as it cant be graded the rocks protrude out of the so called road.Do a day trip up there and head for the sea Out the front youve got Angourie ,Woody head to the north camp at the park you would want to book now .Great ramp to Protected from big swell unless its a howling noreaster.
Hope this helps
Cheers Rob

gleeeza
17-10-2011, 10:27 PM
It fishes well at both ends, that is Wave hill station at the top end which is four wheel drive dry weather access only or the lower end property access which is open to most vehicles in all weather. The latter is where you will have boat access, the owner has tours and I think hires tinnies as well,I am not exactly sure. From memory the lower property is catch and release only you might want to check that out.

I only go up to Wave hill station which is much quieter, hot as shit and full of snakes but worth it for all that provided the river height is up post spawning so the fish can repopulate the billabongs. If the river is low then it is a decent old walk down to the lower end but always worth it the fish are always waiting to get back up to the sweet water some where along the line at that time of year.

Mucked around with a few different types of lures over my visits there but without exception I get much better results with bait, shrimp mainly which keeps the kids busy most mornings and nights but believe it or not prawns have bailed me out on the odd occasion with great success(back up only)....

Good boots and plenty of cover because it gets stinking hot on the rocks there and there is nearly no shade where you fish. Have a great trip.

Glenn

gleeeza
17-10-2011, 10:32 PM
It fishes well at both ends, that is Wave hill station at the top end which is four wheel drive dry weather access only or the lower end property access which is open to most vehicles in all weather. The latter is where you will have boat access, the owner has tours and I think hires tinnies as well,I am not exactly sure. From memory the lower property is catch and release only you might want to check that out.

I only go up to Wave hill station which is much quieter, hot as shit and full of snakes but worth it for all that provided the river height is up post spawning so the fish can repopulate the billabongs. If the river is low then it is a decent old walk down to the lower end but always worth it the fish are always waiting to get back up to the sweet water some where along the line at that time of year.

Mucked around with a few different types of lures over my visits there but without exception I get much better results with bait, shrimp mainly which keeps the kids busy most mornings and nights but believe it or not prawns have bailed me out on the odd occasion with great success(back up only)....

Good boots and plenty of cover because it gets stinking hot on the rocks there and there is nearly no shade where you fish. Have a great trip.

Glenn