PDA

View Full Version : gold coast snaps fri 23rd and sat24

snodger77
26-09-2011, 09:02 PM
A very busy year with the birth of my third child (boy),work, finishing off the house and crap weather has meant fishing time has beenminimal or next to nothing. But with a leave pass from the wife and the bosskeen for a fish meant I had all bases covered.

We headed out through the sea way at 3:30am Fri to the 24s. Wesounded around for a while, found some good shows and decided have a couple ofdrifts before throwing out the pick. The first drift got us off to a terrific startwith a triple hook up on good sized trag Jew.

The second drift saw Laurie pull up a 78cm snap. The nextdrift was a shambles when one of the boy’s lines got the plug spun the boataround and all rigs lost .Being the only one board able to tie knots and re rigsaw me busy for a while. on the next drop I was smashed by something huge sorig up again .with the rod set I decided to give soft plastics a go on a little2500 shimano combo tied on the jig and a 7in white shad. My 3rd castgot a good hit and line started peeling off then snap! Lazy me didn’t tie on aleader (lesson 1) so with a 40lb black magic leader I gave it another go. it didn’teven get to the bottom before I was on and again line was peeling off rightdown to the last couple of threads before I started to get some back on it . What felt like aneternity later I boated my Pb 80 cm snap, happy days!!

I caught another 3 more 55,58,50 cm an awesome morningsfishing .

We called it a day at 830 with nothing bitting as soon asthe sun came up.

So as the weather was looking good for sat and Trent unableto get his first snapper we decided to give it another go.

We got out there roughly the same time only to find no fishon the sounder we headed for another mark south, on the way we found a goodbump and turned for look the current was running hard (around 2kn) the firstdrift saw me land one over 70 and one just under I ended up getting another twowith my trusty little Sedona. Originally bought for estuary fishing I recon it’sgoing to get a bit more use outside .Trent did eventually get one only to loseit boat side (doesn’t eat fish anyway he reckons!) overall it was a fantasticcouple of morning and it has opened my eyes to a whole new style of fishing can’twait to get back out there! sorry i dont have good enough quality pics of fri days fish. marcus

FINICKY
26-09-2011, 10:13 PM
Great fish there mate. I am still trying to get a snapper over 70cm so I'm jelous to see/hear of the big fellas you got. I did an overnight trip the weekend of the 17 and 18th off Moreton and found the snapper were biting hard just after sunset and right on sun up and then thinned out around 8am. My biggest went 67cm. Might have to follow your lead and leave earlier. Pity I have to drive just over an hour to get to a ramp.

Kdog
27-09-2011, 11:23 AM
Mate, great report,and well done on the quality of the fish as well.. I think you will find that you will get quite a few more leave passes after that effort mate:D

Cheers
Kerrod