PDA

View Full Version : Warning / Rant - purchasing outboard parts from US

svranjic
26-09-2011, 02:06 AM
Gday

Have been purchasing boat and outboard parts from the US for a while now with the AUD being so high. But have just run into some issues with a particular outboard parts supplier in the US who I wont name directly seeing as they advertise on these forums.

Make sure you check to see that they actually shipped your items via the postal service you requested them to use. I recently purchased some parts for my outboard, I requested Fedex expedited service because I needed them fast. Now not all parts were in stock so I had to wait a few days for them to order, but they charged me for the expedited service. The postage cost was ridiculous but because I needed the stuff fast I paid up.

Anyhow, they never sent my stuff via fedex, they posted it usps, then tried to pull the wool over my eyes by giving me a usps tracking number which was linked to fedex's website. It was not until weeks later when I emailed them to ask for a valid tracking number I was told it was sent via usps. Did not receive a refund until I kicked up a huge stink about paying an already stupidly inflated price when the service I requested and paid for wasnt even utilized. I got a partial refund, but even now postage doesnt add up..... Still havent recieved item and probably wont because usps is so slow.

Further to this, I placed another order with them shortly after the previous one. Part of the order is 4 self tapping screws which they dont have in stock. Over a week after placing the order and the 4 screws are showing No ETA. I didnt realise it took so long to source 4 small self tapping screws. This company should really sort there shit out because the service has gone down hill big time.

If only aussie dealers werent such a complete rip off.

So be warned!!!

BM
26-09-2011, 07:01 AM
If the freight rate was so expensive for the expedited service wouldn't it have been more or less the same as buying it locally? Particularly if you were in such a rush then purchasing locally would have made more sense? I'm seeing the AU prices closing in on the US priced in many cases also.

4 screws??? Unless these are particular screws not available in Australia I am a bit lost as to why you would order in screws from the US? 4000 screws I could understand a saving but 4???? I think you'd get them here just as cheap or cheaper from a bolt supplier.

I use USPS for anything I bring over and have no issue with them. But I have never been in a rush for something from the US either. Too big a distance with too many potential issues so if it's needed quickly local is best. Actually, I buy all my parts locally anyway. Very occasionally I get something from the US and usually it's because I cannot get it here.

TopBhoy
26-09-2011, 07:33 AM
Cancel the 4 screws which are holding the order up and get them locally. The order should be able to be expedited immediately on the available in-stock items. I never mail/online order anything together where required items are showing a mix of 'in-stock' and 'out of stock' for the reasons you are experiencing; often an entire order is held up.

svranjic
26-09-2011, 12:44 PM
The parts for the second order are for the shift lever on the remote control for my outboard. So initially I figured it would be easier just to order the 4 screws required seeing as Im unsure what size etc they are. I would take apart the old remote lever to match the screws but the screws are missing because the previous owner at some stage snapped the lever cover off, discarded the screws and glued it back together. Thus the need for parts.

I have emailed them and told them to leave the screws if its going to hold up the order any longer and I will source screws elsewhere.

Also in regards to buying locally. I still find my local dealers are still more expensive even taking into consideration shipping costs.

The switching of shipping services seems to be a common thing in the US as this is not the first time it has happened. I purchased some spay gear online and paid fedex but was sent usps, yet was still charged for the more expensive fedex service. It is something to watch out for especially with large orders containing very high delivery costs.

testlab
26-09-2011, 10:46 PM
There are a few shipping and handling agents who use the freight booking systems of fedex and ups, only to ship via USPS or another ground/air agent. This is because they use the export and customs clearance services of the big carriers to clear outbound shipments (for a fee). When it's cleared its entered and tracked through that system.

So buying from a seller that offers to ship to Australia doesn't mean that seller does the shipping. They hand it off to a shipping agent who, for an extortionate fee, handles the shipping for them. Shipping rates to Australia have risen a lot. USPS has also appointed or accredited handling agents who bulk mail/ship and handle all the admin except the actual delivery. So it's hard to tell who does exactly what and it's a right pain when something goes missing.

svranjic
27-09-2011, 10:40 AM
After sending an email to the company telling them my order was showing no ETA for the four screws purchased in my order and telling them if it was going to take them weeks to source four screws then to remove the screws from the order so that my my order can ship, I received a reply.

The reply said - The ETA for the four screws is 21st of October......

What a joke. I placed the order on the 17th of September, and they're now telling me, AFTER I have paid, that it is going to take them over a month to source 4 screws and subsequently nearly 2 months for me to receive delivery of the order. You would think that seeing as they do not indicate weather they have stock of items on there website that they would actually notify customers whether an item is in stock and if they cant source the item in a reasonable time frame notify the customer. Not give me some bullshit "NO ETA" order status and then bother to tell me its going to take a month for them to source the screws after I chase them up.

They completely ignored my request to cancel the four screws so my order can ship. Literally sent me an email saying eta for the screws is October 21.

Wont be using boats.net again!

deckie
27-09-2011, 01:27 PM
Valid whinge that.
Yepp shipping anomalies are becoming more common across all borders, not just international either. They're all accidental of course. Margins are tight i guess.
Recently paid a Vic to send o'night courier to Syd, net transaction, charged for o'night, received the dispatched/mailed notfication by email then it arrived 3 days later. Not big enough for a whinge but shitted me anyway.
Just remember...you're only the customer. Hope u get your stuff soon. prob saved 5-8c in the $ might help the wait.

svranjic
20-10-2011, 02:17 PM
Finally recieved the order placed on the 17/09

Nearly all of the parts are missing. Only one part was sent. They stuffed one part and two invoices in a large box. Then taped to the box was a bag containing parts I never even ordered.

Boats.net you are incompetent!!!!!!

This boat has been out of the water for over a month waiting on this lot.

DO NOT purchase anything from this place. They are useless

I am so ####in angry!!!!!!

Marlin_Mike
20-10-2011, 03:37 PM
My opinion may cause some heat, but hey what the f.......

Source OS for 4 lousy screws? How much cheaper could 4 lousy bloody screws be from overseas??????????????????? Things must be tight if you cant get them in Oz cheaper or competitively priced compared to OS. And no waiting time from Oz. Dont wish to be rude, but WTF? 4 screws from OS. IMHO............unbelievable.

Mike

Basstones
20-10-2011, 03:53 PM

Source OS for 4 lousy screws? How much cheaper could 4 lousy bloody screws be from overseas??????????????????? Things must be tight if you cant get them in Oz cheaper or competitively priced compared to OS. And no waiting time from Oz. Dont wish to be rude, but WTF? 4 screws from OS. IMHO............unbelievable.

Mike

You may want to re-read the original post. The 4 screws was only part of the order, and happened to be the part that held it up. I would assume the other parts of the order were what made it worth ordering overseas...

Sorry to hear how it's all turned out, hope you get it all resolved and with any luck your experience will stop others falling in to the same situation down the road...

svranjic
20-10-2011, 05:46 PM

Mike

Maybe you should read the whole thread before putting your 2 cents worth in. No the order wasnt for 4 screws. The order was for the whole remote control lever assembly and initially included 4 screws which was logical considering I needed the whole assembly of parts. 4 screws were then cancelled as they held the order up. Before you add further opinion I have called a local supplier for a price on the Cover for the remote handle, just the cover which is not the whole assembly, they want $42. Compared to $16 US. One can only imagine how much a local supplier would want for the entire assembly. Then there is the issue of local suppliers having it in stock anyways.

The point of this thread is to warn other members on this forum so that they do not get caught out like I have. I recommend crowley marine, they actually show there stock inventory so you dont have to wait for parts to order. One would assume they are actually capable of packing all the parts in the box before sending. Unlike boats.net who are clearly not capable of picking up a part and putting it in the box, ####in clowns.

So they sent me a box, with one part in it, two invoices with all the parts I was sposed to recieve on the invoice, but not all the parts there. Then they taped an extra bag to the box with parts in it that I never even ordered, no invoice for those parts.

What a classy operation they have got going on.

Now I will be waiting for a reply email, Any suggestions on what I should do???? Ask for entire refund??? ask for them to send me the parts via express postage straight away??? I sure as hell wont be returning the order and waiting another 3 months. Cant trust this lot, I wonder how it is they even manage to wipe their own asses.

IMHO

frankgrimes
20-10-2011, 06:30 PM
Order via CC? if so, initiate chargeback if you did not receive what you paid for(if your unwilling to pursue further of course)...if not, you'll have to chase them for refund/shipment of correct order....or cut your losses

Mick

netmaker
20-10-2011, 07:00 PM
i have only had good o/s transactions. buy all the small stuff here and pay plenty but the big buys go to the u.s. example 1: 3 years back i bought my humminbird combo for $715 shipped. same unit here was $1400 at the time. example 2: just bought i pilot for minn kota for $389 shipped. cheapest i have seen here is $699 and rrp is $799. $389 shipped is less than half of the rrp here. how dumb is that? if business here wants to survive in an electronic world they are going to have to make it a bit more attractive to buyers than those sorts of markups. you cant tell me that these guys cant buy them cheaper than me as they buy wholesale and in bulk. maybe they need to consider that a smaller margin will see a higher volume of sales? i am in business myself and work on high turnover instead of high markup. works for me.

cheers
davo