PDA

View Full Version : NSW Boat Licence

dadstinny
23-09-2011, 11:32 AM
Hi all, going to do a boat licence course on the weekend.

How has everyone found the test? Is it difficult? Does it differ much to the sample exam provided by maratime?

Cheers everyone!

goat boy
23-09-2011, 11:38 AM
it's open book and they really don't want you to fail so......
Not difficult at all

cormorant
23-09-2011, 11:56 AM
Really it shouldn't be.

I know when it is done at the waterways office it is done alone infront of a computer with no open book- well it was 12 months ago when a friends daughter did it. She still had a grouping of questions where she had to get all right or only one wrong from memory. Also required a log of hours / sign off to show that she had some practical experience in teh boat by me and her father which I had no worries with as she has steered all sizes of family boats for years and she has a clue.

Do your study , pratise tests and learn all the things and it shouldn't be too hard. If you have been out in boats a fair bit and understand nav markers and lights , speeds alcohol limits and so on you have a huge head start as a lot of it is common sense.

Look up the maratime site and speak with the person doing the course so you don't get led up the wrong path and surprised.

Boat Hog
23-09-2011, 02:33 PM
Try the Boating Knowledge Quizz, on the NSW Maritime web site. The questions on the quizz are an assortment of the same questions as in the test. If you go throught the quizz a number of times you should cover most of the subject matter.

Good Luck,

Fed
23-09-2011, 04:37 PM
It's way cheaper & easier to get your license through the MSB and you can still drive around without a license so long as you stay under 10 Knots.