PDA

View Full Version : poly longboats

Spiderpig
23-09-2011, 08:39 AM
Guys,

Thinking about buying a poly longboat but I am situated on the central coast in Qld. The problem is I have to go to Perth for a test run.

Is there anyone on here situated between Townsville and Brisbane with one? I would be willing to pay fuel and buy some grog for someone willing to take us for a run.

It would be interesting to hear opinions of owners too.

I already have a 4.55 Polycraft and I love the ride of the plastic. I just want something that rides a bit better and I can dive out of.

Thanks

Ryan

yamp
23-09-2011, 10:32 PM
probably a bit out of you travel range but there is a place up cairns way called bed and boat and they look like they use a dolphin longboat,might be good if you worked it in with a holiday.I think i will be going a longboat my next boat poly one sounds like they would be a good trade off between glass or ally
cheers anthony

justjack
24-09-2011, 01:26 AM
i run a 22ft long boat with a 40horse diesel yanmar outboard, what would you like to know?

MTAQ/BTAQ
24-09-2011, 06:32 AM
I have a 6.2 metre Dolphin Flexihull, 2001 model, powered by a 70HP Suzuki 4 stroke - it is located just north of Brisbane.

Spiderpig
24-09-2011, 08:10 AM
I have a 6.2 metre Dolphin Flexihull, 2001 model, powered by a 70HP Suzuki 4 stroke - it is located just north of Brisbane.

That is exactly what I am looking at buying; are you happy with it? How long have you owned it? They aren't that cheap new for poly and I really want to make sure its the right thing before I buy one.

MTAQ/BTAQ
24-09-2011, 08:09 PM
I have owned it since 2005, I am very very happy with it as I do boat licences and it is perfect for this exercise. It cuts through the waves as it is quite narrow and is very economical as the maximum horsepower for it is 70HP, it planes quite easily unlike my friends 6 metre Polycraft which needs 140HP and will barely plane.

It is in commercial survey for 8, hull is very resilient and actually bends with the waves unlike tinnies which have no give in them and consequently the ribs end up being fractured.

Spiderpig
26-09-2011, 05:27 PM
Thanks,
Haven;t been back online because I've been out fishing all weekend. Can I ask a couple more questions?
Is it as wet as the glass ones like the ub?
Is it self draining?
How well does it handle 8ppl?
Im also curious how it handles small chop like we get up in keppel bay?

MTAQ/BTAQ
27-09-2011, 08:30 AM
My boat is fairly dry as I have a screen and clears on the side - it is not self draining but there are 2 large bungs inside the hull (as well as the 2 exterior bungs) so if you have a lot of water in the boat (it has a bilge pump as well) you just get it moving then remove the 2 interior bungs and the water drains out, so it is self bailing at speed, once stopped the 2 interior bungs must be replaced).

It handles 8 ppl very well, there is room for 6 seated at the front and 2 at the steering postion. However, in bumpy conditions it can be too nose heavy with 6 at the front, so I sit 3 in front, 3 at the steering position and 2 seated behind the driver.

Sorry I have taken a while to reply as I have been out on the jet ski past Cape Moreton checking out the whales.

The boat was originally designed by the United Nations W.H.O (World Health Organisation) for poor third world fishermen as it is easy and cheap to produce (comes out of a plastic mould but has overkill UV protection, mine is over 10 years old and still looks new), easy and cheap to repair (if it is punctured then a sand like substance is pressed into the gap and heated - this is what I have been told - I am sure others will correct me) and because it is narrow it only requires a small motor (70hp) to get it up onto the plane quickly, my friends 6 metre Polycraft with 140hp takes ages to get on the plane.

All the best

mitch92
28-09-2011, 05:05 AM
Thanks,
Haven;t been back online because I've been out fishing all weekend. Can I ask a couple more questions?
Is it as wet as the glass ones like the ub?
Is it self draining?
How well does it handle 8ppl?
Im also curious how it handles small chop like we get up in keppel bay?

Will handle keppel bay chop no worries. Rocky outrigger canoe club has one as their support vessel, and many times we have paddled to great keppel from emu park in everything from 5-10knts through to 25-30knts, and the boat has always been out there with us and handled great. Nice and easy to get into from in the water too.