PDA

View Full Version : Insulating inside ally box

davek78
22-09-2011, 10:23 AM
Anyone had the inside of an ally box fibreglassed. I have an alloy seat that I would like to turn into an esky if feasible. It's 600x450x450 so I think it is worthwhile doing. Anyone know of someone on the southside of brisbane.

Cheers

Dave

tunaticer
22-09-2011, 05:25 PM
One of my previous boats had a ally seat box like that, I founds some styrofoam sheets and cut it to fit the walls tightly and then found a heavy duty plastic bag that fitted in there pretty well. Fill the bag with ice and throw the drinks and lunch in there with no problems and no cost.
woulda also worked just as well as a fish box too with a fully removeable liner to stop things getting smelly.

nautimax
24-09-2011, 02:33 PM
If the box sides are about 50mm thickness, I would probably look at cutting the Top Facia off (approx 25mm from top) and then insert the Green Type Freezer Styrene foam (the green type holds in the cold better than the white ones)... real easy to cut/sand the foam to the correct thickness then insert them and seal with Mastic. After that you could either re-use the original facia with ally banding around the raw edges or get another one made up that overlaps the box then it's just a matter reattaching the lid and hinges and riveting in a few places. :) Just be sure to seal any exposed gaps with silicone...

MudRiverDan
24-09-2011, 03:22 PM
Would be worth looking round and see who makes cool-rooms etc, they would probably sell you some offcuts.
That stuff is pretty good, mind you there might be limitations if you cannot get a thin ply i.e takes up too much interior space.
couldn't hurt to ask.

Back In Black
24-09-2011, 03:57 PM
Dave,
Just had an ally "kill tank" which was not insulated lined with 20mm foam & fibreglassed, about 150 x 50 x 50, for $500. Put 3 bags of ice in the uninsulated one & 2 hours later had warm water. Did the same yesterday & I still have ice in it today. Money well spent with pelagic season coming!
Tony

sporty1
02-10-2011, 07:48 PM
Anyone had the inside of an ally box fibreglassed. I have an alloy seat that I would like to turn into an esky if feasible. It's 600x450x450 so I think it is worthwhile doing. Anyone know of someone on the southside of brisbane.

Cheers

Dave

dave pm sporty1@bigpond.net.au me and I will send you all the photos I have of mine just finished and cost less than $300

Murray

MyWay
02-10-2011, 10:13 PM
here is my beer box I just did :D

cost me just time ,I all ready had all material 8-)

nautimax
03-10-2011, 10:11 AM
MyWay...That's a good size beer box :) what is the inner box made out of?

MyWay
03-10-2011, 10:44 AM
it is poly something ( not sure of the name , but I know it is good, it will float in petrol ) and it is fiberglassed and floatcote

nautimax
03-10-2011, 11:50 AM
very nice.

sporty1
03-10-2011, 02:02 PM
Hi Guys attached is the progression of pics on how I insulated my kill tank, I wil post pics of the finished job later, it looks great and ice now keeps cool rather than melting in an hour or so.

nautimax
05-10-2011, 06:25 PM
Nice...looks a decent size for a kill tank...Mackerel length :)