PDA

View Full Version : somrset share farmers

Ryan the slayer
20-09-2011, 07:57 PM
put the pots out in somerset with a few mates on sat night 16 pots in total all zip tied up come back sunday 6am all zip ties cut we ended up with 1redclaw between 4 of us anyone els have any problems out there on the weekend there must be some very greedy people get out there!!!!>:(

darylive
20-09-2011, 09:02 PM
:angryfire: Thieves scum of the earth.

I don't eat bait myself but I hate :furious2: thieves. :rifle:

NAGG
20-09-2011, 09:13 PM
put the pots out in somerset with a few mates on sat night 16 pots in total all zip tied up come back sunday 6am all zip ties cut we ended up with 1redclaw between 4 of us anyone els have any problems out there on the weekend there must be some very greedy people get out there!!!!>:(

It's surprising how often you hear a boat go out at some ungodly hour only to return an hour later ......... bass fishing:-?

Chris

bondy99
20-09-2011, 11:31 PM
Mate it happens all the time the scumbags,

I'd like to invent an exposive tag that recognises the original owner's biometric print so when a mongrel bastard comes up to lift your pot, it will say the word "suprise" and Kaboom..guarantee the mongrel wont be lifting up other peoples pots..however..there is a law against that

Mossy247
21-09-2011, 12:04 PM
Slingshot, a bag of marbles and a 4 pack of redbulls to keep watch.

jayvee
22-09-2011, 04:41 PM
tie a heap of little suicide hooks to your float rope. next morning walk around camp looking for the person who can't scratch him/herself properly! LOL

Jason

Ryan the slayer
24-09-2011, 04:55 PM
tie a heap of little suicide hooks to your float rope. next morning walk around camp looking for the person who can't scratch him/herself properly! LOL

Jason

sounds like a good trick they would only get one before having to go back to camp to get tools for hook removal

craigie
08-10-2011, 08:32 AM
I'm at Somerset now ! Love this IPad!

Red claw traps are out, checking them as soon as this morning storm passes.

Last trip up here all the pots were robbed, see how we go this time ??

Cheers
Craigie.

kercus
08-10-2011, 10:36 AM
Craigie,

Be interested in your redclaw results. Good luck.

Cheers,

kercus

Mike Delisser
09-10-2011, 08:44 PM
There's no boating allowed on Somerset at night, and no reason for anyone out on the water in the middle of the night unless they're up to no good. About time the water police and rangers had a few more stings.

winfurn
10-10-2011, 11:29 PM
had my traps out there in jan zip tied shut went to check them the next morning and some busted cut the ends out of the pots

stonecold
11-10-2011, 05:56 AM
Cut the ends out of the traps???....faaar out theres some desperados up there. Rabbis up as we speak,,,,got his traps zip tied thinking he's gunna get all the redclaw his traps can catch. I let him kow he's pushn manure up hill with a tooth pick

craigie
11-10-2011, 03:24 PM
Red claw are a little inconsistant at Somerset. We bombed out but no sign of theft we just simply didn't find the right spots this trip.
Talking to the Grey Nomad brigade camped out there for the week, they just keep moving the traps around every day until they find "Claw" !! Saw plenty of monster sized heads in the bin, would be 40 - 45 cm claw !!! Next trip will be for a few more days and will work the traps a lot more.

We did however find a few Bass, trolled lures caught us 15 Saturday arvo. 4 went legal size and we cooked up that night in foil in the coals of the camp fire...........beautiful !!!!

Regards
Craigie

rabbi
12-10-2011, 09:15 PM
Hey guys,
Just got back from somerset and had a great few days up there.

Finding an open spot between all the other trap floats was the biggest challenge and I reckon that the sharefarmers would have their work cut out doing the rounds of that lot.

Some of the grey nomad brigade(beautiful people, thanks joan an Douglas) that were camped nearby gave us some healthy information about catching Redclaw and after a dismal first attempt we cottoned on to a few tricks and came up with a nice catch of 30cm to 35cm claw which we were both very happy with.

We ended up with 30 odd good Redclaw for a couple of nights which was more than enough for a good feed or two but there were a few people there who thought any less than a 100 claw and you are wasting your time:P

Our best part of the trip was the little peak we found and fished in 4 to 5m of water and the sounder was lit up with fish.
Scored over 70 Bass up to 40cm on lures on the first day we fished and that was more fun than trying to find a open bit of water to fish for Redclaw without encroaching on someone elses patch.

You can only catch Redclaw in certain areas and depths, apparently!!

We noticed quite a few traps being thrown up on the banks, maybe thats where the Redclaw climb out of the water at night?
I think we are all sharefarmers with that body of water.
cheers, steve

Barry Ehsman
13-10-2011, 09:29 AM
Boy you did well on the Bass mate & a feed of redclaw as well, well done

Baz

rabbi
13-10-2011, 09:31 PM
Boy you did well on the Bass mate & a feed of redclaw as well, well done

Baz
Yeah Baz,
Katrina and I were both happy with the end result and a bonus with beaut weather.
We rolled up sunday and left wednesday afternoon.

It was completely accidental that we came across a pinnacle of sorts about 100m out from the shoreline and it would have been 10 or 15m across the top of it.

Both of us had double hookups many times and had a ball.
Final count for fishing Monday,tuesday and wednesday morning was around 130 Bass( give or take a few) mostly from the same spot and a few near the Island at the park. probly lost count a few times.

We had to fish near the bottom with lures and S.P.s and a GPS to sit on the spot in the middle of nowhere was a must.
The shape of a lot of the the bass reminded me of the shape of some of those medicine ball yellas from copeton

Just had the last of the Redclaw for lunch today. Cut in half and grilled with butter and garlic. I can see why they are so popular.

I will try and get some pics out of my new phone when I work it out.
Cheers, steve

bondy99
14-10-2011, 06:52 AM
Rabbi,

How many redclaw you ended up with? Did you go NPD or Sommerset?

Bondy

rabbi
14-10-2011, 01:23 PM
Around 30 redclaw but everyone else was finding it hard going . We only clued into how to get them on the second last day there. Gotta b happy with that!
Somerset m8

bondy99
14-10-2011, 09:26 PM
Yep, got to be happy with that.

darylive
19-10-2011, 09:34 AM
Craigie, Rabbi,

I gather the fish were still schooled by the numbers you caught. Still in the middle of the basin south of Kirkleigh?

Trolling blades I presume from what you say. Any current info appreciated I am there next week.

Regards Daryl

rabbi
20-10-2011, 08:26 PM
Within 400m from the yards Darylive.
Follow the old river bed and its starboard side heading up.
Hope this helps.
steve

hugs4mac
22-10-2011, 06:53 PM
Hay guys are all the dead fish gone from out of the lake yet

rabbi
31-10-2011, 08:55 PM
Hi Guys,
Got a letter in the mail today from the Queensland Motorways with a non payment of Toll notice as I went through Heathwood on my way to Somerset.
Rang up the nice people and got sum guy that spoke fluent Indian and he told me that If I did not have an E tag I should have read the signs on the edge of the road that had a phone number to ring up and pay for my toll!
What sort of trickery Bulls**t is this?>:(
Apparently they take your pic like a speed camera and send you a big penalty notice for not having an E tag and put a phone number on a sign on the edge the road(that I should have seen whilst driving, Apparently) that you have to ring to pay your toll.
I must have been looking at all the roadwork signage instead:-?:-?:-?
Any of you NSW travellers be aware that by the time you get your penalty notice it is too late and your expenses for that QLD trip just got higher.

What really stings is that the Redclaw are like canetoads anyway

I didnt think I would ever see the day when you had to pay to cross the border!!

I love a good whinge.
Cheers guys.

bondy99
01-11-2011, 08:07 AM
That's Governments for ya, always trying to make a dollar.

rabbi
01-11-2011, 12:26 PM
Yeah Bondy, always the way.

I had to pay a big camping fee, a stocked impoundment fee,a boating permit fee and now a Toll fee.
Mate NSW is looking better all the time as most areas are minimal fee or fee free and we still get the same benefits and amenities.::)
All we need now is a big camera on the border to snap every Queensland plate that comes across and put more money in the Government piggy bank.
Maybe they should call it Feeland:D:-X
Sharefarming!! Geez!! Thats the least of your problems;D

Still sour mate.
Cheers.
P.S. I just got another 2 Toll penalty notice letters today, One at Heathwood East and Loganlea.
The only indication was my GPS said I was on a Tollway, Geez louise!! Im goin to hava beer and it aint a XXXX>:(

Ryan the slayer
01-11-2011, 08:45 PM
not trying to be a prick or anything but there is a lot of sighns before you turn onto the logan and along it. i have big drama with the mob that run it just kick up a stink and they will reduce it right down

bondy99
01-11-2011, 10:14 PM
Rabbi,

Yeah mate I hear you and understand where you're coming from.

I made a special stop to do a manual top up on my etoll account. so had to do a light detour and the bastard cameras pinged me after I paid a top up. The place where the have the sign "Customer Service" is deliberately placed in a location where you are pinged either way i.e. whether you are going North or South bound after leaving the place joining nack onto the Logan motorway.

I was very annoyed with that and phoned the company when I got home and explained the problem..I was reimbursed for my effort.

I guess I was lucky, I spoke to a senior officer who spoke the Aussie lingo.

Bondy

rabbi
02-11-2011, 07:55 AM
Yeah, I know it was me watching the road and not payin much attention to the signage but they had some of the signs in areas where traffic was busy and I was watching everyone around me rather than the signs.

I went through Brisbane 10 months ago and did not get any Toll notices for crossing the Gateway bridge???

Rang the Toll office without any luck and then sent them an email with a reply that stated" you didnt pay a Toll in 3 places and it was your responsibilty so we are not refunding your money"
Gonna be interesting when I have to go to Brisbane airport to pick up my son come December.
The high point is that the Redclaw have crossed the border. Wonder if they got charged a Toll from Queensland motorways??

Lookin forward to getting into some murray cod shortly(without crossing any borders!)
cheers, steve.

Louis
04-11-2011, 02:15 PM
G'day Fellow Ausfishers,

I have amended this post I have already submitted to be relavent for this section. The fundamentals apply in freshwater or salt.

Please see below:-

Sadly pot theft and the theft of one's catch seems to be becoming a bigger and bigger problem every year.

I have decided to report every pot I have stolen to the new Police Link number which is phone 131 444. You can simply report the theft over the phone.

I’m hoping that if the Queensland Police Service realises what a constant problem it is for us recreational anglers they may put more resources into catching those that steal our pots or at least ask the Boating and Fisheries Patrol Officers do likewise.

Louis

Pero
04-11-2011, 02:32 PM
Somerset is a great dam, and share farming is a scourge. If redclawing you have to be vigilant and fish close to your pots. Its a shame.
At the north pine dam,For $100 per year you can join prfma (they have a website). You receive a key, boating membership sticker, etc... You leave your pots overnight, and they rarely get raided. There is a locked gate which keeps plunderers well away. Only downer is you need an electric motor. Another week or two and the redclaw will be stirring. The water temp. is on the increase. Great fishing too.

bondy99
06-11-2011, 02:11 PM
I can concur what Pero said.