PDA

View Full Version : Carp busting day-Warwick

finga
19-09-2011, 06:09 PM
Gidday all.
Apparently there's a carp busting day happening out this way in Queens Park on Sunday.
To be honest I haven't heard about it until I spoke to the Postman today.
I have not got many details but I'll try and get some if people are interested.
Apparently there are some prizes but not sure.
I'll be there though :)

Cheers then
Scott

Jarrah Jack
19-09-2011, 06:17 PM
You good on carp Finga? Wambo tells me its heating up and the Cod will be on the bite soon.

finga
19-09-2011, 06:28 PM
You good on carp Finga? Wambo tells me its heating up and the Cod will be on the bite soon.
Carp. Carp are bloody everywhere. You don't have to be good at catching them. Just bung a worm on a hook and away ya go.

Cod are on the bite now.
Apparently a 35lber caught last week.

I might have organise a 'visit' from Wambablambalam so he can teach me a thing or two.

Jarrah Jack
19-09-2011, 06:32 PM
Carp. Carp are bloody everywhere. You don't have to be good at catching them. Just bung a worm on a hook and away ya go.

Cod are on the bite now.
Apparently a 35lber caught last week.

I might have organise a 'visit' from Wambablambalam so he can teach me a thing or two.

Might be a very good idea. You could make some good lures with his guidance and that machine of yours, and no, I don't mean the lawn leveller.

hkconc
21-09-2011, 06:17 PM
why dont the buracrats start harvesting the vermin. It would only take a crab pot type cage baited with weed, corn or something that attracts the carp and not the native fish. Even if the native fish did end up in there, just release them. I am talking about a cage around 1.500 square and lifted out with some kind of host mounted an a larger type tinny. Burrly them into cat food. If a hole was worked for a week or two, im sure the numbers would gradually dwindle.

bondy99
21-09-2011, 10:19 PM
Either in Tasmania or Victoria Fisheris successfully ridded one entire dam of these pests, took some time but needed to ensure dam was closed to the public, very fine nets, tracking collars and judas fish was used i.e females were tagged with transmitters and when the male fish came to known spawning sites....they ere electrocuted and floated, collected and taken away, this was done continually and for a long period.

I cant see any reason why Qld Govt cant do the same thing here...oh that's right, I forgot about the greenies.....their in bed with the Govt are they not??.

Lot of people out of work and I'm sure this would be a good way to utilise labour and help rid this country of this pest of the freshwater waterways. Europeans eat carp so there would be a market for these buggers overseas. If some countries eat sea cucumbers, you know the slugs or vacuum cleaners of the seabed (beche de mere) then the carp would be creme ala creme. ;D

I'm all for ridding carp. Send me some details Finga.

Bondy

finga
22-09-2011, 06:03 AM
The problem with Carp is re-infestation. You can rid a section of river of them and then in the next wet they're back again.
My mate has a weir and we got rid of them out there but they're back. We keep at them but they breed rather quickly.
To rid them from our local waters is to rid them from the Murray-Darling system.

To my understanding, BUT not gospel, is that it's on Sunday in Queens Park....and that's about all I know.
I got that information from another member of the restocking association and apparently there was a small bit in the local paper but I missed it.
From my understanding the section of river they're having it in is pretty well a closed section of river with weirs at either end.
A really picturesque section of river actually with picnic facilities right next to the creek. Just lay under a shady tree with a rod in the hand and day-dream until food time. What a way to spend a day :)
But be careful. I know a young fella who was driving along the road and a branch dropped on his car and wrote it off. A few widow makers there.

I'll see if I remember to take some pictures later.

finga
22-09-2011, 07:03 PM
This is what I have to put up with. This is my local creek.
Less then a 1,000m by road or 500m by crow from home.

Jarrah Jack
22-09-2011, 08:20 PM
Good to see so much water Finga. What was it like during the drought?

finga
22-09-2011, 08:22 PM
Brown grass Terry.
Still full of water though as this is a weir with no water pumps allowed. Only water loss is evaporation.
It's right in the centre of town (virtually)

bondy99
23-09-2011, 08:59 AM
Thanks finga,

Very picturesque , bloody marvelous what water can do, without water nothing would exist or grow unless its a bizarre type of lifeform like those in deep sea volcanic trenches.

I wont be able to make this sunday, I hope there will be a lot of people turning up. Maybe the state politician for this area can shout some beer or whatever tickles the fishos fancy as a reward for trying to eradicate this imported pest.

Bondy

TheRealAndy
23-09-2011, 09:20 AM
I have stumbled along that river many times in years gone by after a tough night at the H&J.

gunna
23-09-2011, 12:02 PM
Lovely spot. I often pull in beside that river for a bite to eat when I travel through.

Matthias
05-10-2011, 02:48 PM
The gov is doing something. The reality is that there are "bigger fish to fry" for gov to put alot of money into carp. The costs would be outrageous and the task impossible anyway.
http://www.abc.net.au/rural/news/content/201012/s3082482.htm

Carp traps working all too well

Thursday, 02/12/2010
South-west Queensland authorities say they're "pleasantly horrified" with the number of European carp they caught in a trial run of new traps.
Carp is a declared noxious pest in Queensland and land managers recently gathered to learn how to use traps as a new way to get rid of the fish from rivers.
Keith Walker, from the South West Natural Resource Management Group, says they've purchased four traps to control their numbers in the Warrego and Paroo Rivers.
"We had those traps in for two days and we actually pulled out 340 carp in those two days," he said.
"That's really surprising. It gives you a bit of an idea I guess of what the population in carp may actually be in just one water body in south-west Queensland."

bondy99
14-10-2011, 07:02 AM
Great to hear something is being done, it should be on going with heaps of volunteers doing it for free, Govt can wear the costs for fuel, cages etc, rest should be bona fide, quid pro quo.

Bondy

marto78
14-10-2011, 08:33 AM
I'm sure if there was a legal market for them like there is freshwater eels, there would be a lot of pro's setting traps and making a buck off cleaning up the waterways. 340 carp in two days, even if they only got paid 50c a fish it is still an easy earn if they had 5 traps over a week long period thats $850 for bugger all work IMO.

Matthias
17-10-2011, 08:37 AM
Have a squiz at this report-http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0010/306010/nsw-control-plan-for-carp.pdf

in particular table 2. which gives a bunch of carp reduction methods and the pro's and cons of each. Daughterless carp tech would be the best bet for any significant change- hopefully one day we might be able to use the same method for cane toads and Indian Myna birds in QLD.

klyons
06-11-2011, 11:28 AM
I'm sure if there was a legal market for them like there is freshwater eels, there would be a lot of pro's setting traps and making a buck off cleaning up the waterways. .

Long time since I've been on here.

They tried commercial permits in South Australia many years ago in an attempt to rid several dams of carp. The result was in 12 months, carp were found in 3 other dams that had been previously carp free. The reason - the pros deliberately seeded the dams to "grow" their business. All licences were cancelled.
I believe Tasmania cleaned 1 dam. They removed as much native organisms/ fish etc as possible and then poisoned the water. When the poison had dissipated they re-introduced the natives.

What has happened with the carp in the Logan / Albert rivers?
I ventured down to one of the old original carp buster weekends many years ago but they've now stopped?