PDA

View Full Version : Formula 233- 200hp EFI Merc. a suprising performance :)

FisHard
18-09-2011, 09:10 AM
Hi guys,
I know everyone loves the 233s and thought I would share a trip I had yesterday in my mates.
He's got a unknown vintage (prob 70s) Haines Formula 233 that was fully refurbed by Adam Milner- a well regarded boat builder based at Jacobs Well. It has a single 2008 Mercury 200 EFI swinging a 17" Vengance prop. It carries 320l of fuel in 2 tanks. BMT weight is just under 2.9t (verified on weighbridge). Adam did a beautiful job fitting this boat out, including removing the sterndrive and adding a pod for the outboard.
We headed out yesterday from Southport and fished the 24s for a feed of Bonito, Trag and a lonely Squire. I've known this boat for a couple of years, but yesterday was my first trip out and I've got to say I was astounded by its performance with the modest power plant. We were fairly light on in terms of weight on board with about 250l of fuel, 2 pob and the usual gear for a day out. The thing jumps out of the hole without hesitation and runs straight up to 25-26kts @ 4200 rpm. It tops out around 37-38kts @ 5500. There was bugger all chop or swell around yesterday, but plenty of wave action from the 12 billion boats that decided to take advantage of the brilliant weather. The 223 ate it up. It was however, a little bit wet whilst sounding a low speed. Maybe the weight of the big chunk of chain in the winch is too much compared to the single light motor on the stern? Not sure, but you don't notice it up and running.
Would post pics, but I do this from my Blackberry and I've got no idea how to do it :( Just though I would share my experienci::)

Spaniard_King
18-09-2011, 09:31 AM
Thanks for Insight FH, Adam does a great job. You right some pics would do it justice :)

FisHard
18-09-2011, 09:53 AM
Hey Garry, if I email them to you, could you post them?

Spaniard_King
18-09-2011, 10:54 AM
Yep. No Problem garry@gdmarineservices.com.au

Steeler
18-09-2011, 10:58 AM
Can't wait to have squiz.

Thanks guys

OPTI
18-09-2011, 11:54 AM
i need to take you out in my 233,twin 225,s,i came home yesterday from the 50,s ne at 4200rpm which is 37knts back at the seaway in 40mins .and that was cruising ,sitting down the whole way .i had my 69 year old father in law on board.he couldnt believe how smooth the ride was either.
as for being wet,mine throws spray over the nose when sounding around ,i have a big stress free winch [70]kg set up in the anchor locker,which i actually just pulled out thismorning ,as il be trolling bait for the next 6 months and not keen on coping spray all day on the troll.plus it sits up a little nicer now.
ive been over that boat of adams [silver with curved screen]looks trick.get your mate to put another engine on it ,then you will see what its capable of.

FisHard
18-09-2011, 12:18 PM
Anytime! I'd be MORE than happy to come out in your rig to compare apples with apples :D
I know what you mean though about true performance 233s. I fished a couple of times on one with twin 225 2st evinrudes many years ago. I think that's why the single 200 suprised me so much. It thought it would be a real dog, but its fine. Apparently, its pretty thirsty, but that's life. We are planning on running it up to 1770 by SEA in about a months time. The idea is to run up to Mooloolaba on day 1, then have a bit of a fish up along Fraser on day 2 and end up at Lady Musgrave. Day 3 will be a fish in the morning, then back in to 1770 to meet up with the trailer. Should be a cool run :) Hopefully we can chase up a few GTs around Breaksea Spit :D

Spaniard_King
18-09-2011, 01:44 PM
7151871519Here they are

FisHard
18-09-2011, 02:03 PM
Thanks Garry :)

Jarrah Jack
18-09-2011, 02:42 PM
What a beautiful boat. Thanks heaps for the pics.

wirlybird
18-09-2011, 07:18 PM
ha he sole my paint scheme i have bought a metallic silver color to go on my boat. Never thought of redoing the windscreen like that though

nice boat

FisHard
18-09-2011, 07:45 PM
I think the windscreen really modernises the boat. I believe it came off a Riveria. It could be higher for more protection, but certainly looks sweet.

robothefisho
18-09-2011, 11:17 PM
Thats a really sweet looking boat.

pilchardjones
19-09-2011, 01:03 PM
what a fantastic rebuild. very 1 off. thanks for sharing. love to see some internal pics.
steve

FisHard
19-09-2011, 02:44 PM
I will try to get some more pics for you guys. As I said, this is the work of Adam Milner. If you need anything done to your boat, I reckon hed be da man.

Ally Jack
19-09-2011, 08:20 PM
Top boat and great rebuild it looks, thanks for the pics

AJ

FisHard
17-11-2011, 12:29 PM
hey guys,
i was talking to my mate, the owner of the fffffformula, and he is going to advertise it for sale. Anyone got a suggestion of what price to put on it? Its been fully refurbed, 2008 model 200 EFI Merc (150hrs) 2008 Dunbier trailer and its all in great condition. Its only got a basic Garmin gps/sounder. What do you think $$$$ ???

wirlybird
17-11-2011, 01:14 PM
50-60K the good ones go for but a refurb model around 45K

thats my guess

ozscott
17-11-2011, 01:50 PM
Mate - nice rig. I would believe it about the 200. A lot depends on hull shape and length and motor toque and propping. A lot people are surprised how my Vag gets up with just one lonely 115 V4 Yammy. Its hard to pick even rotten 233's for less than a King's ransom. Beautiful looking hulls. Look like they are doing 60mile an hour sitting on a parked trailer. Cheers

Jarrah Jack
17-11-2011, 03:02 PM
There has been a very nice looking one on ebay for a while with two F150's on for $55 k but hasn't sold as far as I know.

wirlybird
17-11-2011, 05:59 PM
There has been a very nice looking one on ebay for a while with two F150's on for $55 k but hasn't sold as far as I know.

it got some bids up to 42K at one point. its set up very basic inside

Opti's one is probably worth 150K

FisHard
17-11-2011, 08:24 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys. I know the market is tough, but its a great boat at around $50k! What does $50k buy in a new boat? A 5 and a bit metre regular rig? This thing is hot! I guess though, not everyone wants a 3 tonne trailerboat.
Keep the thoughts coming :)

Pazz01
18-11-2011, 08:53 AM
I looked at buying an old one not too long ago. It was FARKED. Trailer, inboard everything was stuffed.

I went and did some quotes on everything and the cost to get into it was as follows:

1. Trailer 10-15k (depending on brand and alloy vs steel)
2. Conversion from inboard to outboard, new stringers, floor, transom, painting, patchwork, $15-20k per glasser.
3. Outboard - There was a 300hp suzuki in cairns, fully rebuilt for $18k, so we were going to go for it.
4. Electronicis - $5k
5. Interior, canopy etc $3-5k.
6. Other odds and ends may amount to $5k.

On the dearest side of the scale it was going to cost around $70k to redo (or remake essentially) the entire rig. Plus the purchase price the guy wanted - over 15K. We ended up keeping the 635L and giving her a birthday and a few new items.

So, I think you'd have to be looking in the 40-50k bracket. Most people want one with a few more hp's on the back becuase they love going fast offshore that hull. Looks sweet tho, if I had the cash I'd be interested.

Pazz

julian1
18-11-2011, 10:09 AM
yeah i would be guessing around the $50k ish, i know he has probably spent more but that single 200 EFI Merc will be the problem, A: if you buy a 233 most people will want a minimum of twin 150's....B: to be able to afford to run twin 150's + then the engine will need to be DI 2 bangers or 4 strokes.

most looking at it will be costing in a repower/podding and also refitting the original windscreen !! ::)

wirlybird
18-11-2011, 11:16 AM
its the 3.5 tonne bit that gets most when their purchasing them and then they realize opps it will cost me $700 to fill her up the dream usually ends there

wirlybird
21-11-2011, 02:53 PM
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/23ft-Formula-Full-wheel-house-Twin-150-optimax-mercury-motors-/160685225917?pt=AU_Boats&hash=item256995f7bd

OPTI
21-11-2011, 05:13 PM
id put it up for 55k and see what offers you get ,its around the 50k ball park for sure.that one on ebay is a cam straun 233,slightly modified hull,80k is proably what its worth with twin engines etc.
just remember a new 233 edencraft is 45k bare hull and he is booked out for 12 months atm with orders,so that helps keep the value up.

captain rednut
21-11-2011, 08:21 PM
het fishard thats a great looking formula i would think its worth 70k considering second hand alloy plate boats in the 7mtr category are selling?? Ive just found out how expensive it is to fully rebuild my formula 233 was and i hope there not worth 50k or ill loose some serious coin.
cheers cr

Whitey81
22-11-2011, 06:32 AM
Hi guys,

Pazz01/Guys, How much were you willing to pay for a f*&ked one? I have one that could be described as that and has been in storage for 5 years. No inboards, reasonable old triaxle trailer with brakes(no controller)

I think if you are doing up a boat to keep then dont worry about what its worth, the fact you know that it is spot on is enough. Just compare it to a similar boat that it is a few years old.

Cheers
Whitey

mal555
23-11-2011, 08:35 AM
I think if you are doing up a boat to keep then dont worry about what its worth, the fact you know that it is spot on is enough. Just compare it to a similar boat that it is a few years old.

People do spend too much time agonising over even slightly over-capitalising their boat, especially with re-powering.
The whole game changes regarding confident usability, it's very hard to put a dollar value on that.

Pazz01
23-11-2011, 09:04 AM
Hi guys,

Pazz01/Guys, How much were you willing to pay for a f*&ked one? I have one that could be described as that and has been in storage for 5 years. No inboards, reasonable old triaxle trailer with brakes(no controller)

Cheers
Whitey

Hey mate

We are no longer in the market for a formula. We have since spent the money on our Haines Hunter 635L that we've had for about 15 years. Have given it a birthday and a good tidy up. I will post a little bit of a report when we have finished.

But the one we looked at was stuffed, the trailer hadn't been moved for years, rusted to pieces. I am of the opinion the guy would have nearly had to pay me to take it off his hands. But I think between $5-15k at the most. If the trailer is not too bad and usable, then easily fetch that.

I know they are a good boat, but the logistics for us was going to be too hard. We didn't really have the space or the required skills to do much ourselves, and for the same price we could buy a brand spanking new one off hooker that would have everything we wanted without having to do anything, just use it.

Pazz

wirlybird
23-11-2011, 01:04 PM
Hi guys,

Cheers
Whitey

With engines and whithout is two diffrent worlds then you have to look at the stringer conditions

As a ball park i would say tops $5000 for what you have described.

julian1
23-11-2011, 07:18 PM
really at the end of the day if its that rooted and you cant do much of the work yourself you would be better off just buying a new Edencraft hull as it will always fetch more later on in resale