PDA

View Full Version : Feedback wanted JBS boats

fairpractice
16-09-2011, 09:31 PM
Hi,Would appreciate genuine comments about the performance and ride of the now discontinued JBS boats. In particular the 5.5m models.
Hull is rated to 140h.p. but have seen one with 90h.p. on it.
I realize we are looking at about a 12deg. deadrise hull but actual performance can differ from predicted performance.
I have been down the trailcraft bone crunching ride and don't want a similar experience again in a bit of moreton bay chop.
feel free to p.m as i am more than willing to talk to anyone with experience with this make of boat.

thanks john.

Any_Weather
17-09-2011, 05:37 PM
Gday John, I have a good mate who has a 6.5m centre cab model and it is extremeley rough to ride in. I have had nothing to do with a 5.5m model but would steer well clear if they all ride like this blokes. Make sure you take it for a ride in a bit of slop and make sure you can trim the nose well down.
Lee

Greg P
17-09-2011, 10:40 PM
Really depends what you want from this boat. If its going to be used as an offshore boat then personally I dont think you would want to go down that track with a JBS. Their big selling point was always the curved bow design - keep that low and it would cut through chop to a certain height but with swell and bigger chop once you start riding on that 12 degree deadrise you are in a world of pain.

If it is a bay boat with occasional trips to close reefs offshore and the price is right - maybe !!!

Liberty
17-09-2011, 10:49 PM
12 degrees for a 5.5?

On a 8m boat in rough offshore Moreton, 20 isn't enough.

Smithy
18-09-2011, 07:19 AM
Ditto what Greg said. I had typed out a big reply but AF ate it. Keep looking I reckon.

fairpractice
18-09-2011, 08:23 PM
Hi all. Thanks for the "heads-up" on jbs. I will definitely water test if serious, and decide if it suits the conditions i'm expecting to use it in. cheers john

robothefisho
18-09-2011, 11:05 PM
If you think the trailcraft was bad don't even bother water testing the jbs.