PDA

View Full Version : it pays to check on your storage

Dignity
16-09-2011, 07:23 PM
I hadn't looked under the forward bunk for a while but after the last couple of trips in reasonably rough weather and the loss of an anchor, I thought I would pull everything out and sort out any thing that I didn't need. The potatoe sack around the spare anchor had moved enough for the rod ends to be rubbing direct to the hull, I would have had a good leak in another trip or so. I have fixed have fixed the problem now with the generous use of zippy ties and a hull repair from the inside but wondering how I managed to let it go for so long before noticing. I guess it pays to check on even the emergency supplies on a more regular basis.

finga
17-09-2011, 05:12 AM
One of the reason why I pull everything out of the boat after every trip.
It's easier to clean properly and to check on stuff like what you've described.

But it has been said I'm an extremist though ;)

sid_fishes
17-09-2011, 05:31 AM
really scott,who would say such a thing

tunaticer
17-09-2011, 10:57 AM
I had a similar experience with a spare prop in a heavy bag in the fore storage, looked fine from above but the prop had worn through the bag and well into the hull in the three years it laid in wait. Fore storage now has 3mm insertion rubber lining to avoid things rubbing through.

Dignity
17-09-2011, 09:13 PM
Food for thought Jack. I did have some sheets of neoprene somewhere, guess I will have to have a closer look.

Finga, takes too long for large boat and all the bits and pieces needed. Although since I have a new motor I have cut down on the number of tools and other spares that I carry. Also if stored in the boat it takes up less room in the shed where I am quickly running out of space.