PDA

View Full Version : how to read boat compass

snapersam
14-09-2011, 09:54 PM
had the boat for a couple of years now, allways used my GPS, however last time I thought i may try to use the comapss in front of me all the time, and realised I don't know how use it,

When I look at it it seems it is allways opposit to were I am heading, So i parked my car next to it with its own compass . the car was showing correct but the boat comapss the other way arround.

Am i suposed to be looking at the red mark/line on it and allign it to wher I am heading? I checked on the net for a while for help but not much available .

Can anyone assit me or direct to an online info?

stue2
14-09-2011, 10:39 PM
easy enough mistake to make. if your heading east you will see the "E" on your side of the compass when logic says a "W" should be there. The red line will be aligned with the bearing of your heading.

A good habit to get into is to get your bearing from the GPS and then use the compass to set your course.

My old boss on the snapper boats insisted that the compass was always the way home and the GPS was a bonus.

Cheers, Stu

Scott79
14-09-2011, 11:05 PM
There's a little bit of info in this if you download it mate: http://www.ritchienavigation.com/optimize/index.jsp

Scott.

marto78
15-09-2011, 07:46 AM
If it is one of the cheap plastic compasses like mine, check the front of it and you will see a little plastic screw which you turn to calibrate the compass and get it to point the correct way. When I bought mine it was out 180' as well.

finga
15-09-2011, 07:50 AM
You should be congratulated in wanting to use your compass and asking the question on how to use it.
We all know a compass is mandatory for a lot but have no idea on how to use it.

Hopefully others will look at this thread and try to use their compass next trip.

Well done :)

PS Scotty...your link needs a US state code to work. I just used some number in Main Street in Buffalo NY and gave the zip code of 14202 and it worked.
PPS: don't forget to check the calibration of your compass with compass check points. Moreton Bay has a few and there should be at least one close by where ever you are.

TheRealAndy
15-09-2011, 08:03 AM
The ones that are normally out by 180 are because they are designed for you to line up the pin in the centre of the compass rose with the lubber line (or the red line on the compass). It allows for more accurate reading of the compass.

Scott79
15-09-2011, 11:02 AM
PS Scotty...your link needs a US state code to work. I just used some number in Main Street in Buffalo NY and gave the zip code of 14202 and it worked.

You can get around it, just set the country to Australia and enter in your normal address (with the 2 letter US State Code blank) and it will work. Select "Request Booklet" and they will send the same info as a hard copy also.

Page 11 explains the difference in design, one is designed to be read at eye level and the other from above, hence the notion that one is 'out' by 180 degrees.

Scott.

snapersam
17-09-2011, 06:56 PM
thanks for the feedback . I think I worked it out on my yesterday trip.
The red dot or the needle is directing me to where i am actually heading, I just need to ignore ebvery thing else while only looking at he needle alone.beacuse the needle is facing me, it looks 180 degrees to my direction.

snapersam
17-09-2011, 07:12 PM
Thanks Scott for your Link, it explained the lot, I think every one should go the link, and read it.
Since they mention many types of Compasses and each one operates differnet to the others, it is extremly inportant to know which type everyone of us have on the boat, becausre home can be 180 degrees to ones direction, this is very serious and really should part of getting boat licence.