PDA

View Full Version : Plastic Jerry Cans - Any to avoid ?

Scott79
13-09-2011, 10:13 PM
Probably need to get a 20/25L jerry or 2, are there any that people have had issues with, or are they all much of a muchness ?

Thanks,
Scott.

Steeler
13-09-2011, 10:25 PM
No probs with Sceptor whatsoever. Got the breather and weather well.

You can get the 20ltrs in either a squat or tall.

Finnatical
14-09-2011, 07:47 AM
stick with the better (read more expensive ones) with the yellow lids. I went the cheaper ones with the screw on black lids (1 on each side of the can) and they were no good, used to leak out stink out the car everytime i used them. bought the more expensive ones and much, much better.

cormorant
14-09-2011, 11:02 AM
If it is for fuel on the boat grab a couple of 2nd hand marine tote tanks and click your fuel fittings straight on them so you are not transferring fuel They are designed to be treated like crap and have correct airspace in them. For normal jerry you can also now get adaptors that go on to alow them to be used as a fuel tank firect although it is more for stationary motors not for in a boat.

If you are keeping them long term - pay up- . I still use steel ones around the house and when they finally wear out in another 40 years I'll go plastic sceptere millitary ones. Check the disposal stores. Just thicker , stronger and stiffer but I see they are no longer lockable. They are squarish so stackable and have a handle you can actually tie off to. I hate the pourers that mean you have to get fuel on your hands - what a joke.

Willow at super cheap on special every few months at $30 are Ok for years of use but not if you are offroad or give your stuff a real pizzling like my family do. I hate the pourers that mean you have to get fuel on your hands - what a joke.

Not sure what the Aussie army use these days.

Timfishin4fun
14-09-2011, 05:21 PM
I will tell you to make sure it has a good breather, otherwise it takes ages to fill and that can be a real bugger depending what conditions your in.

They also get a bit heavy when having to hold for so long and I believe this is when things get dangerous. Muscles gettin sore and a bit of a bump, out pops the filler hose and fuel everywhere.

Also make sure they have a good quality filler hose and connection. This end will break down over time more so than the can itself.

Timbo

Scott79
14-09-2011, 11:11 PM
Thanks everyone, will check out the Sceptor for starters.
Hadn't thought to look at the army disposals, but its worth a shot too.

Cormorant, my motor doesn't have the fitting mate, but I would probably prefer to pour/siphon it into the main tank anyway. Have got one of the Yammy tanks which I can't fault, but had spillage issues with a cheaper marine tank in my last boat. Probably prefer the shape of the 'typical' jerry can also.

Thanks everyone.
Scott.

cormorant
15-09-2011, 01:10 AM
Disposal stores have lots of non mil stuff as well.
Not sure what motor size but not hard to plumb in a fitting you can connect to before the filter.

Not a fan of decanting Jcans on boats . Last thing you want in a boat is fuel fumes and spillage let alone a fire. I've ben on boats and had whle kill tanks with fish contaminated with fuel spills that were never going to happen.

TREVELLY
15-09-2011, 05:53 AM
I have Willow yellows from supercheap and happy with them.

Also got from a canopy guy (Polaris canopies West Brissy) a connection that screws into willow and connects to 12V tyre pump (about $70 for tank fitting) - it pressurises the 20l container and fuel flows out the hose - empties the 20l in just under one minute - no lifting and the hose is a couple of metres long.

I have used it a few times and it works well.

Polaris are at most Brisbane camping shows - I got a couple of canopies from him too for Nissan 71361 - great for fishing trips to Moreton

Here are the pump attachments - you can get them from a few places

cormorant
15-09-2011, 11:05 AM
Little electric compressers spark like hell and are not protected. Not a good idea in a enclosed boat situation with fume coming out of the filler as fuel goes in.

Using air is good but the one issue is they when you want it to stop it may take several seconds and you end up with a overflow and spill if there isn't enough room in the tank.

Not sure if the hose they use is conductive but you may end up with a large enough static charge to create a spark as they were originally designed for diesel transfer.

Ya just never want to be the boat where it all goes wrong. I know it is not very likely but bluntly some blokes are idiots and others just don't consider the risks or consequences. There is a lot you can do to eliminate the possible issues at teh start.

goona
15-09-2011, 01:03 PM
I have had 5 x Red Willows from super cheap since 2004. The ones with the two black caps. I also have another one from Super Cheap with one cap but this doesn't pour as quick through the nozzle due to air not coming in like the twin ones. They have gone through a lot of trips from being on the back of the camper on our around Australia trip for 6 months doing the Cape/Kimberly’s (Read corrugations) to being on the front of the Pacific Sportfish on extended week long trips to the Percy's / Swains trips. The only thing that has gone wrong is one dropped the rubber "O" ring over the side when we refilled at Fitzroy lagoon on one trip so now we just look out for this. I have never had any problems with leaks, cracks or anything.

We pretty much use a "Jiggle" hose for the transfer now so you don’t have to lift the jerry for extended periods while the transfer occurs.

Goona

TREVELLY
15-09-2011, 07:58 PM
Little electric compressers spark like hell and are not protected. Not a good idea in a enclosed boat situation with fume coming out of the filler as fuel goes in.

Using air is good but the one issue is they when you want it to stop it may take several seconds and you end up with a overflow and spill if there isn't enough room in the tank.

Not sure if the hose they use is conductive but you may end up with a large enough static charge to create a spark as they were originally designed for diesel transfer.

Ya just never want to be the boat where it all goes wrong. I know it is not very likely but bluntly some blokes are idiots and others just don't consider the risks or consequences. There is a lot you can do to eliminate the possible issues at teh start.

Yes fair enough if someone is silly enough to put themselves and the pump and fuel in a confined space.
My application is an open deck plenty of space and fresh air.
A good pump as used for the 4WD - not a little sparky clacker which would be slow on the fuel as well.
But all things considered in my case it is a good option when at sea or stopped in a lagoon when and if required.
Definitely safer and easier than poised at the side of the boat pouring through a spout.
They do Diesel, Petrol and Water pumps.
Anyway each to their own - but this works for me - safely.
Just one other thing about this unit - it has a safety valve with a ring on it to prevent the plastic tank getting too much pressure - it is set conservatively so two things you can do - one is to apply little pressure to hold it down and flow increases but jerry balloons (now using common sense here and not trying to blow up the jerry) and secondly if you grab the ring and lift the valve then the fuel flow stops immediately as the jerry purges itself of air pressure.

mal555
16-09-2011, 10:20 AM
[FONT=Tahoma]We pretty much use a "Jiggle" hose for the transfer now so you don’t have to lift the jerry for extended periods while the transfer occurs.

Goona

Same....the 20mm jiggler (copper end and glass ball version) is a thing to be admired, moves both diesel and petrol at good speed.
The only time I use a spout these days is filling the little 3.3 merc. dinghy motor out of a 5 litre container.