PDA

View Full Version : aluminium pod or glass pod for a glass boat

johnverano
11-09-2011, 05:57 PM
Ok guys doing some work on my haines and Im looking at putting a pod on my boat but i am a little lost as to what is best a glass pod or an aluminium pod for a glass boat.Will it affect its performance or can it damage the transom from the lack of flex from the aluminium pod.
i have not made up my mind yet
so i have turned to the forum for help
and if anyone knows who makes pods.
cheers guys

DAZMC1
12-09-2011, 07:35 AM
Give Allan at Edencraft a call.

Spaniard_King
12-09-2011, 05:43 PM
Where are you John??

No good calling Edencraft if your not down Melbourne way.

johnverano
12-09-2011, 10:10 PM
HI guys i live in Byron bay.
seems like no one round here works on glass boats anymore.
cheers

Goochi
16-09-2011, 08:47 AM
Here's my uneducated opinion. A glass pod will be heavier so if you are having any negative bouyancy issues alloy would be better. If you are handy with materials and have time to burn you can build a glass one yourself, it's not that hard; you just have to get it right. There are plenty of both types about. The modern design is to follow the hull line to add bouyancy and to increase waterlne lenght. I was going to build my own glass pod but got crook so had an alloy one made insted.

mal555
16-09-2011, 10:03 AM
If retro fitting, powder coated alloy gets my vote.

fandtm666
16-09-2011, 12:10 PM
ive been thinking about putting one on my current re-build.Have been toying with building my own
full width from glass but as yet have not found enough info on the mounting height of the motor on the pod.

In some articles i have read that it should be 25mm higher for every 300mm out from the original transom
so the way i interpret it is that if i have a 20" shaft it would actually be mounted at 22" if i went out 600mm
and in doing so being able to get rid of the current splash well and gaining that valuable space.

maru222
20-09-2011, 08:23 PM
just be carefull with insurance. i just told my insurance company i replaced the f/g rotten floor doing the work myself and they now will not insuraner the boat any modifations are surpose to be professially done. no fun in that!

fandtm666
26-09-2011, 07:31 AM
i have found out almost everything i need to know by scouring google for the last month or so but 1 question i need answered because i physically dont have access to a boat with either a 75hp or 90hp is the distance from the mounting to the back of the cowling covere once raised.so if some one owns one and has a few spare minutes to help by measuring the distance it would be great.

PB
26-09-2011, 11:26 AM
what model Haines have you got? where about to start building one for a 565, its been CAD Designed for this boat.

PB
26-09-2011, 11:38 AM
This is the line drawing for it.
http://i638.photobucket.com/albums/uu109/Hemo1984_album/HH565POD-Model.jpg

fandtm666
26-09-2011, 12:11 PM
managed to get the measurment i needed from stompa ( romano ) who does them in Sydney.

so it will be 650mm from transom to outside lip of motor bracket, as for the height i am going with 21"
this will let me raise the motor if needed easier than being to high and then being proverbially
fooked i will be fitting a standard 20" long shaft on it.

it will also be a hull extension design running flush with the bottom of the hull and out to the first strake
allowing room beside it for the installation of 9x9 trim tabs

No Fear
26-09-2011, 01:34 PM
Hi Pelagic,

Whats the damage to have one of them designed, constructed and fitted?

If needed, you can send me through a PM.

Only need a budget price at the moment, but if I can get approximate, will then let me know if the project is worthwhile.

Cheers

PB
26-09-2011, 02:10 PM
Hi Pelagic,

Whats the damage to have one of them designed, constructed and fitted?

If needed, you can send me through a PM.

Only need a budget price at the moment, but if I can get approximate, will then let me know if the project is worthwhile.

Cheers

PM Sent Mate.

johnverano
27-09-2011, 12:24 AM
hi pelagic can you pm me your number my haines is a 585 prowler 95 build
cheers

fandtm666
14-04-2012, 05:54 PM
well has been quiet a while since i asked about the pod.

I have finally finished building it - getting it surveyed - installing it.It finnish's flush with the bottom of the hull so in effect an extension.

It has been rated at 140kg buoyancy without any foam installed and rated at 125Hp - 178Kg max.

also just finished the pretty stuff on the live bait tank.