PDA

View Full Version : Buying bayliner 192 cuddy

tassjo
11-09-2011, 04:09 PM
Hi all,need some advise .i have found a couple of 192 for sale . Some have the 3l 135hp & some have the 4.3l v6(both are mercruisers.boat will be used for fishing mainly & taking the family out.my concern is if the 3l is enough for this boat.most of the 192 have the 3l.it is my 1st boat with a inboard motor.i am not a speed freak but i do go outside with the boys,just want to be sure before handing over 40k any advise greatful thanks.

BM
11-09-2011, 04:31 PM
Tassjo,

The entry level Bayliners (17-18ft) come with the 135hp 4 cylinder and I think they are currently about 28K new. From there up are usually powered by a V6 and V8 and if you went with a 4 cylinder setup you would be most likely disappointed by the performance. The 192 is a big boat and it is certainly a poverty pack with the 4 cylinder. No doubt purchased by someone new to boating who was unaware they were being sold an underperformer.

If you want that sized boat its got to be V6 or V8 to give you good/proper performance. Not speed machine stuff but good performance.

Cheers

tassjo
11-09-2011, 05:42 PM
Tassjo,

The entry level Bayliners (17-18ft) come with the 135hp 4 cylinder and I think they are currently about 28K new. From there up are usually powered by a V6 and V8 and if you went with a 4 cylinder setup you would be most likely disappointed by the performance. The 192 is a big boat and it is certainly a poverty pack with the 4 cylinder. No doubt purchased by someone new to boating who was unaware they were being sold an underperformer.

If you want that sized boat its got to be V6 or V8 to give you good/proper performance. Not speed machine stuff but good performance.

Cheersis the 3 litre that under powered.its just that most of them have the 3l including in the US. thanks for the advise

BM
11-09-2011, 06:20 PM
If you have a look back through Bayliners history, they have consistently been underpowered. Presumably a conscious decision by the company and probably aimed at the first time boater/entry level market, low dollars.

The 3ltr performs well enough in the little boats but go up in size and theres a lot more boat with the same engine power, particularly in a cuddy with extra weight.

Perhaps go for a run in a couple to see for yourself as its your call at the end of the day.

To put it into perspective, most local boats around 20ft are running around 200hp outboards. Contrast that to 135hp which is a sterndrive and heavier than an outboard.

Bare in mind also that if you do go for a 4 cylinder model the next buyer when you go to sell is very likely going to have precisely the same engine concerns that you have right now. Translation: reduced sale price or even worse, very hard to sell.

Cheers

tassjo
11-09-2011, 06:35 PM
sounds right will go for a run 1st thanks for the help

IcyDuck
12-09-2011, 08:29 AM
Never been in a Bayliner and know nothing about them. However, I've got a mate with a Whittley Voyager 580 which has the Mercruiser 135. I imagine it is similar in size to the Bayliner 192, maybe a bit heavier being a Whittley.

It's no speed machine but it gets along surprisingly well. I've been in it a few times and it cruises along comfortably at around 23 knots. Top speed is probably around mid 30 knots.

He pulled me (90+ KG) out of the water on skis without any problem so the 135 seems to have a bit of torque down low. I guess at 3.0l it's pretty big for a 4cyl. My only real criticism is that they are a lot louder than an outboard. It is a deeper sound but definitely louder than my honda 115 4st.

My Honda 115 OB pushes my 5.4m glass boat along nicely so the 135 should push a little bit extra length/weight. Again, no speed machine but more than enough. There's also plenty of 6.0m boats running around nicely with a Yamaha 115 4st or Suzuki 140 4st bolted on the back.

I guess it is all about your expectations and as BM suggested, and you've agreed, you need to take it for a run to make sure it meets yours.

Cheers Phil.

tassjo
13-09-2011, 08:22 PM
the loudness of the engine is the only complaint i have heard of ,few people have use sound deadning mat(dynomat)on the inside of the engine cover with good results