PDA

View Full Version : Stainless to Alumin

Raesen
08-09-2011, 07:38 PM
Hi Guys I am fixing some gear (sounder screen, lights) to my new tinnie. They need some robust fixings and didn't want to go the alum weld road... I can't do it (alum weld that is ) so was wondering the best option.

I am aware of the corrosion/electolisis/metals don't mix thing and did a search on the net and found a product called "duralec or somthing like that" - I think that is how it is spelt. In fact BCF have it. This costs $34 for a tube a little bit bigger than a tube of tooth paste.

I don't have a prob with the cost compared to the long term outcome however I have approx 6 stainless screws to install only.

My Question is ????? Should I purchase the above for longevity or is there an alternative (silicone or whatever) that gives perhaps not the same protection but enough to go that way.

Thanks in advance and I welcome your input and recommendations.
Pete

FishHunter
08-09-2011, 07:57 PM
I have something called I think Tec gel which is a bit cheaper and does the same job. Its a white teflon based paste which is packaked in a syringe and I see there are small ones available now

fez
08-09-2011, 08:04 PM
Yep it is expensive stuff and for 6 screws it does seem like a lot. It is good stuff, I have just taken some screws off holding a cover on after they had been in or 7 years and it i still all over the thread and no signs of corrosion.
Where are you located? You can borrow my tube of it if you want?

fez

GLXMAN
08-09-2011, 11:43 PM
Hi Pete,
I have just been though a very expensive fix to my Allison 4.95 plate tinny
I must say, Allison are paying for the repairs, luckily, along with my spray painter, the repairs are only cost approx $500

Iv'e had boats 28ft, 34ft, 11ft, and never had a problem,
I think the new manufacturers must be leaving the fitting of all parts to sub-contractors who have no idea of marine requirements

Firstly, Duralec is the go, used it on all my SS fittings to a 12m aluminium mast, no problems,

This is how I do it,
1. If you have a large item,
Cut a gasket out of a rubber tyre tube to insulate the dissimilar metals
2. Where possible, use a fibre washer then the SS one so the SS washer is not sitting on the alloy
3. I flood all the threads and anywhere SS is going to touch alloy with Duralac until it looks ugly, then clean up a bit
4. Every 3 years, pull it all apart and check and re-goo with duralac, just make sure it is all clean first

There are lots of ways of insulating with large items, plastic companies like menzel plastics have all sorts of stuff in sheets and rods, even UV proof stuff

Regards,
Gary

Raesen
09-09-2011, 04:38 AM
Thanks gents and Fezs thanks espesially for the kind offer.

Made my mind up a tube of duralec it is. A small price for the cost of the boats etc. and can always be used in the future.

Cheers and appreciate the info.
Pete

Apollo
09-09-2011, 06:18 AM
Right call Pete. It is the right stuff and I have been using it for 30 old years. Make sure the lid goes on properly and it will last for ages and will always be on hand to do jobs properly in the future.

Steve

PB
09-09-2011, 09:08 AM
http://tefgel.com.au/

megafish71
09-09-2011, 12:56 PM
http://tefgel.com.au/

I agree, Tefgel is the better product, and well worth the dollars.

Seahorse
09-09-2011, 06:30 PM
I use tefgel.
Buy mine at north side marine.
Small packet about $20 I think.
Last long time.

Cheers
Greg