PDA

View Full Version : goldie today kings and amberjacks

OPTI
08-09-2011, 06:26 PM
went wide again today to the kingie grounds ,got on to a masive school of slimies ,carnt wait for the blacks to show up,filled the bait tank by 8 and went to the kingie reef,had a charter boat already there ,not on my spot so i hung around him and showed them how to catch kings,they didnt hang around long so after boating 5 kings already i moved over to my xos reef,first drop on to a good fish only to have the wind on leader break the dacron,first time ive seen that ,a couple of nice amber jack come on board around 8kg,i re rig my rod ,next drop ,slimy goes nuts, i strike and miss ,slimey still going nuts i watch the rod load up and strike ,im on feels ok not huge ,get 10m or so pretty quick ,and all hell breaks loose,hes off peeling 15kg of drag at will ,so i up the drag alittle more and a little more and a lot more ,25kg approx slowed him down ,it was taking both hands on the rod to lift him and getting a meter on the drop ,this went of for a solid 10 minutes,i was rooted my arms were screeming ,but i thought finally ive got a biggin,then i felt a sort of slip than snap ,he gone ,20m under the boat,looks like a clean break on sunline 130lb jigger braid,i got nothing left ,dont know what went wrong,just gutted,but had a great day all the same.;D
i had a mate up from melbourne out today ,it was the best days fishing he ,s ever had ,good to see him getting his arms stretched.

frankgrimes
08-09-2011, 07:04 PM
Very nice work mate! You'll get one of the big boys to the boat soon no doubt!

Mick

Platitudinus
08-09-2011, 07:46 PM
Hi Opti;
Interesting your sounder shows only 52.5m depth - on the 24's. Surprised as you said you went out wide? Anyway - great fish there and stretched your arms as well.
Well done
Plato

frankgrimes
08-09-2011, 07:51 PM
Hi Opti;
Interesting your sounder shows only 52.5m depth - on the 24's. Surprised as you said you went out wide? Anyway - great fish there and stretched your arms as well.
Well done
Plato

Reckon he got his slimies on the way out wide....sounder pic of the school of slimies im guessing.

lightsout76
08-09-2011, 10:53 PM
Nice haul mate gotta be happy with that for sure.

There's a good bit of fun bringing that many hard fighting fish in.

Cheers for the pics and report.:)

OPTI
09-09-2011, 05:45 AM
yeah sounder pic is the bait on the way out ,kingies are in 85m

dicko56
09-09-2011, 05:45 AM
Well done Opti... I was out at the 36's yest as well but the only thing eating the livies was snapper. Current was up a lot on the previous Thurs tho so no doubt it wont be long before its on its summer run.

outwide1
09-09-2011, 10:58 AM
Good going Opti,did you launch out of the pinbar or goldy?
There was good bait in that depth east of the pinbar last Thursday aswell.
There is some good structure out there at kingie reef(if thats where you are)as alot of
people call there bits of reef kingie reef.lol
You wouldnt see much structure with such a broad depth range on your sounder would you.
Welldone
mick

OPTI
09-09-2011, 04:45 PM
i go the sea way ,dont feel the pin is worth the risk.
as for the sounder ,i know its not set up as good as it could be ,but it shows fish and i hook up,im taking a guy out next trip that knows the furuno back to front and he is going to set it up for me.but that fish i had on and lost the crew could see it coming up on the sounder,its pretty definitive so to speak.
yeah the kingie reef is pretty long ,there a bits all the way to square patch ,its just a matter of finding where they are,the rat kings had moved north from last week,and no jew this week but more amberjack.ive just found a little patch that consistantly holds the xos specimens for some reason.
i hope that fish has a sore neck today as my leg muscles have been screaming all day

fisho8
09-09-2011, 06:45 PM
Good lot of Fish there Opti well done mate.