PDA

View Full Version : Cobia off the Jumpinpin.

lightsout76
01-09-2011, 09:42 PM
This is my first report on Ausfish and i thought i'd give you all a quick report.

Planned on a Wednesday trip on monday but after the weather pissing down all night tuesday night i decided to flag it but when i woke up on tuesday morning to find light southerlys and a bright and sunny morning i made the call and headed out.

once i finally got all my gear ready, some fuel and a little bit of bait i shot out to the bait grounds at Sully's off the Jumpinpin, was met by a dead flat bar only a tiny bit of white water to the south so took the northern channel out from Nth Straddie and arrived at Sully's at about 10:30am.

Got some livies then headed back to the Pin to pick up u mate then head back out to Sully's again.

The plan was just to target cobia. We did a few drifts with livies and got nothing but bait stealing mack tuna and a few other fruitless runs so we made the call after a couple of hours to head in to the wreck for a fish.

Got to the wreck did a few drifts to no avail so anchored up at about 3pm and just started a burley trail at about 4:30pm with nothing to show for it but a heap of bait jigged up (which was all good in itself) we called it a day and just as we did my mate hooked up using a fresh, half live pillie and after about a 10 to 15min fight ended up with a 25.74kg Cobe.

So after a bit of a frustrating day we were persistant with our target of a cobe in mind and it did pay off and considering the tiny hooks my mate landed the fish on (see pics) he did well to land it.

Sorry if the report is a bit long like i said it's my first.

Cheers Leon.

charlie09
01-09-2011, 09:51 PM
G'day Leon great effort there mate. Is that top hook in the pic bent?

Nothing wrong with the report either mate, keep them coming

Cheers;D
Vince

AnthonyL
01-09-2011, 10:13 PM
Good job and on those hooks lol.

Bull
02-09-2011, 06:56 AM
Thanks for the report Leon.
Thats one crackin Cobia. It sure makes the day worth while when you get something like that doesnt it. Well done with the report and pics.

Cheers Bull

thelump
02-09-2011, 07:39 AM
Great Cobe mate. Well done.

fishfeeder
02-09-2011, 12:37 PM
Good report and well done, one of them is on my must catch list.

Cheers
Brett

Good_as_Gold
02-09-2011, 04:31 PM
Top fish there whats the go with that very small circle hook and that big fish, I just was using a 8 o and caught 55cm snap.

lightsout76
02-09-2011, 08:08 PM
Thanks guys for the positive feedback it's much appreciated.

Kinda got a bit lazy with the rig and not changing it to suit the target we're just lucky it paid off in the end (very lucky).:P

'charlie09' yeah that top hook was bent so far around that it was actually clamped on the top lip of the fish, probably what kept it there, ha ha!

Thanks BULL you're right one fish and alot of frustration trying to get him and it still made it worth the effort ;D

Cheers,
Leon.