PDA

View Full Version : rotten transom help needed

johnverano
31-08-2011, 11:25 PM
I have been dealt death by aluminium cap placement
I have been working on my boat with a friend and i decided to remove the aluminium cap just to check after reading so many reports of what they hide.
Well lets just say shocked is an understatement, soft wood .
How can an Ozzy iconic boat builder just put a cap and bog and then untreated wood on the back of an amazing hull I have no idea.
I have a haines hunter 580 sf prowler Cc and the boat suits me and my family to the tee. I have owned it for 4 yrs .
I am prepared to fix this problem as we want to keep the boat .
So what Im asking is does anyone out there know of any companies that do transom repairs close to Byron bay I am willing to travel to get this done as i have asked locally but no one has any idea.
At the same time I am thinking of a pod on the back as i have a heavy 150 stroke yammie on the back that makes the stern sit deep in the water.
And with scuppers that means water on the deck in certain conditions .
any info would be great .
thank you

Roughasguts
01-09-2011, 04:23 AM
Don't Haines Hunter have a 7 year hull warranty????

Good luck with it.

Cheers.

fandtm666
01-09-2011, 05:58 AM
you could try tweed fibreglass he always has boats in there.

If needed i can grab his number for you

Spaniard_King
01-09-2011, 07:12 AM
Call Adam,

He is at Jacobs well but is well worth your effort 0404050310

He is very good and can do the full repair.. ie engine off repair and re install.

TheGurn
01-09-2011, 10:09 AM
My kid knows how you feel. He's doing up his grandfathers glass boat after it had sat under a mango tree and a tarp for years.
He tells me most of the timber under the glass was, wait for it .... masonite !!
The timber in the transom had mostly decomposed into dirt.

Noelm
01-09-2011, 10:47 AM
Masonite was quite common, especially for the floor, a lot of well known brands used it.

Jarrah Jack
01-09-2011, 12:21 PM
If the boat is just 4 years old I would be contacting Haines Hunter through the dealer you brought the boat through.

copie
01-09-2011, 12:53 PM
Arnolds Fibreglass Repairs hemmant in brisbane worth the drive great guys great work good price.