PDA

View Full Version : quick snapper trip

nigelr
31-08-2011, 07:34 AM
Weather forecast looked a little dodgy but headed over the bar at a lazy 6.30am in smooth seas with a 1m swell, lovely.
Got to about 20m mark by which time the SW has picked up to 15knots.
Anchored into it and was not overly optimistic at all....but started to burley, ya never know ya luck.....
Got a couple of lines out and continued burleying and sooner than anticipated got a hook-up, bit of weight and a lot of 'head-banging' felt like a shark and the bite-off had me certain. Next hit same story, lot of violent head-shaking and to-ing and fro-ing, damn sharks......
Generally I'll up and leave when this starts but next hit happened quickly and managed to stay connected and avoid the kelp and up comes a nice nobby...yes!
Got a couple more of the same in quite short order then hooked ap a nice 6ft shark which played around on the surface for a minute or so, then got serious at which point I applied the knife to the line lol!
Figured that would be it and more than happy with the three knobbies so set to go in, just use the last bit of bait while I tidy up etc lol, sure enough just about to fire up and off she goes and up comes nobbie number 4.
Back at the ramp by 9.00, bait was combo of tailor and squid, 15kg lines, 8/0 circle hooks, minimal lead. Happy boy I am...nice feed of snapper wings last night and more tonight, best part of the fish the Mrs and I reckon!
Cheers.

Kdog
31-08-2011, 08:02 AM
Mate, that’s an awesome effort for just a couple of hours work!! If you call fishing “work” that is, You certainly are in the good books now for a while anyhow.:P
As a matter of interest, how do you do your “wings” or is that a family secret handed down through generations.;D

Cheers
Kerrod

thelump
31-08-2011, 08:06 AM
They are some great fish there mate. well done

nigelr
31-08-2011, 08:14 AM
lol, nah Kdog, pretty much the easiest way I know to cook fish actually; onto a plate, thickest parts outermost, bit of lemon juice on top, salt and pepper to taste, cover with gladwrap, then into the microwave on medium-high for a few minutes then let stand for a couple. If underdone, back in for a minute or 2 on high.
Bit fiddly getting the meat out but well worth it IMHO, always super tasty and moist, way way way too good to let go to waste!
Great method with mulloway too!
Big wings you can cook like this, extract the meat, the add to a frypan with lime juice and sweet chilli sauce, stir for a couple moments and there you have a different flavour!
Cheers.

outwide1
31-08-2011, 08:22 AM
Were you fishing off the tweed??

nigelr
31-08-2011, 09:31 AM
No outwide, couple hundered K's south!;)

outwide1
31-08-2011, 11:56 AM
The reason i ask is i got a message of a mate from tweed showing off some nice snaps
the same size that his neighbor got yesterday.
Good fish mate,
MICK

nigelr
31-08-2011, 03:02 PM
Thanks Mick, for some reason I think perhaps they may be spawning up or something atm, but also (and more than likely) could be just pure arse on my part being in the right place at the right time on this occasion!
Cheers.

outwide1
31-08-2011, 03:47 PM
They start spawning now and through to the end of Semptember Nige.
They will be found in relatively shallow water and then move deep.
Mick