PDA

View Full Version : Home Made $35 Tow Cam/Downrigger Cam Colour Video

gazza2006au
30-08-2011, 07:18 PM
hey guys i just knocked this together today out of some plastic PVC pipe and end caps plus i used a perspex screen inside of cap i have only tested this in a tank and it works i have it set up on the downrigger bomb it sits normal it can also be set up as a trolling camera by attaching a snap lock swivel to the front cap and cable just add some lead weight to keep the camera as low as u would like than lower it out the back of the boat

charlie09
30-08-2011, 08:06 PM
If nothing else its interesting Gazza. Keep refining it you just may never know.

Cheers;D

URAGANGI
30-08-2011, 08:30 PM
Keep this coming, Backyard invents like this are golden. And when it work's even better. Ah let me guess was the weather crap when you came to dreaming this up?
Cheers
Viper.

frank100
30-08-2011, 09:04 PM
gazza,
What a great idea, what did use as the camera ? how much ? where from ?
Frank

gazza2006au
30-08-2011, 09:10 PM
thanks guys it does work under water i have taking 2 videos just in the back yard up to 2 foot depth so it will work as a trolling camera im yet to test it on the downrigger at greater depths if it starts to leak at greater depths i will install a bicycle tube valve so i can pressurize the tube with a bicycle pump so it can withstand deep water

the camera is called a "808 keychain camera" these little cameras record in colour and the quailty is amazing check out the videos of thsi camera on youtube http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=808+keychain+cam&aq=f there are a few versions the best version to get is a 3 it has the best resolution these cameras can be bought from ebay australia for $15 there abouts

URAGANGI
30-08-2011, 11:02 PM
I've heard a lot about these mini cams. An Aussie group by the name of AUS SPY has another nifty pen cam for around the same money.
maybe this could help you when you want to refine your project.
You've given me ideas...! I've always wanted too know what goes on down below. or even see the fish, that you missed.
So many uses.
cheers
Viper.

gazza2006au
30-08-2011, 11:37 PM
my ideal underwater camera housing would have 32mm PVC pipe with both screw on end caps with thick rubber o'rings at each end with a flat rear cap and some type of external plexiglass glued onto the cap so at depth the pressure pushes against the plexiglass window as it is i only have push on end caps and no o'rings they havent leaked at 2 foot but i think this is going to be needing a lot of refinement for 25 foot depth while downrigging

another idea for this type of camera is a pole cam ;D

give me sometime and i will get out and get this tested i need to service my boat after winter than i will be on the water

URAGANGI
30-08-2011, 11:57 PM
Yep Yep boat comes first. Hope the pressure tests hold up with your ideas. Sounds like you've cracked the nut. Good luck for the trials.
If all works well Post some video action. That would be wild, seeing fish hover around your rig while waiting for the strike. And when you get home, you can check out the footage.
Cheers
Viper.

Timfishin4fun
31-08-2011, 02:59 PM
You might be able to glue both ends to ensure it not leaking.

If you buy a 32mm pvc to pvc furnco you will still be able to access the camera if you install it in the right place.

Furnco's are done up by stainless steel worm drive clips.
Timbo

my ideal underwater camera housing would have 32mm PVC pipe with both screw on end caps with thick rubber o'rings at each end with a flat rear cap and some type of external plexiglass glued onto the cap so at depth the pressure pushes against the plexiglass window as it is i only have push on end caps and no o'rings they havent leaked at 2 foot but i think this is going to be needing a lot of refinement for 25 foot depth while downrigging

another idea for this type of camera is a pole cam ;D

give me sometime and i will get out and get this tested i need to service my boat after winter than i will be on the water

gazza2006au
08-09-2011, 08:42 PM
hey guys i tested the camera it works great i only tested it off a wharf in sydney dangling off the end of a rope it did not leak and i went down 2 meters as deep as i could go it was low tide

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZqFeiBZBF4

URAGANGI
09-09-2011, 07:29 AM
Well done the picture quality is good, even better than I first thought. Nice work on your efforts. You've inspired me too knock up my own.
Viper.