PDA

View Full Version : Custom hydrofield hardtop. Finished photos

mitch_wahoo
30-08-2011, 06:37 PM
Hey everyone, Heres a few of the photos of the hardtop i have been building for my 6.1m Hydrofield. Mitch

ifishcq1
30-08-2011, 07:22 PM
Great job Mitchell
That is way better than anything on the market and a credit to you and Chrisso
I wouldn't mind checking it out a bit more, is it still at your oldies?

cheers

mitch_wahoo
30-08-2011, 10:02 PM
Thanks scotty, Yeh still up at the oldies place.

marto78
31-08-2011, 08:26 AM
That didn't take as long as I thought it would to make.

And it looks great too!

pilchardjones
31-08-2011, 09:54 AM
That looks like a top job. Keeps in with the lines of the boat really well too.
Steve

business class
31-08-2011, 11:44 AM
Looks good mate, well done. that took you no time at all.

adam69
31-08-2011, 01:12 PM
I would have tinted the windows just a little bit - but appart from that looks great, top job!!!

mitch_wahoo
31-08-2011, 05:27 PM
Yeh it didnt take as long as i thought it would either. Hopefully it will be strong enough. will have to take it for a test drive to see if it vibrates/ shutters much when hitting waves. It seems pretty solid sitting on the boat but.

Adam69. I didnt tint the windows because it makes them too hard to see out of when travelling early in the mornings or a night.

fandtm666
31-08-2011, 05:30 PM
looks great , with the windows did you make the unit with a recess for the glass or is it fixed and sealed flat on the surface

mitch_wahoo
31-08-2011, 07:59 PM
The windows are 6mm acrylic that is uv stabilized. I painted a black border around it and used sikaflex and bolted them straight onto the fibreglass. No recess.

mitch_wahoo
12-09-2011, 06:38 AM
Took the hydro our for its first run yesterday since fittin the hardtop. Its 100 times better than a windscreen with a bimini :)

No movement or noises and mostly.. No getting wet.

cormorant
12-09-2011, 01:16 PM
Looks good. Only think I dislike about hardtops ( they are the only boats I now use as I like it dry) is that without decent vetilation you foggy screens and really stuffy feel and miss without opening windows and vents with the wind in the hair feeling.

If you do bar crossings and take green over the front be aware you feel protected but that larger size of perspex will flex and needs lots of bolts/ glue sealant on it depending on how stiff it is.

Be a bit careful about motor fumes in their if you don't have any ventilation - Called the station wagon affect where carbon monoxide that you can't smell or see gets sucked forward from the motor and people pass out. A spoiler that disturbs the aiflow over the cab helped us on a old boat to make sure the air in the cabin isn't coming from the stern and a vent facing forward.

mitch_wahoo
12-09-2011, 07:32 PM
Thanks for the reply comorant. I've got a hatch in the roof 400mm x 200mm wich the air flows through nicely. No fumey smells in the cabin at all. I dont do any bar crossings where im living. I realise the perspex will flex if it gets a wave over the front. Its bolted on and sikaflexed so hopefully it will hold.

thylacene
12-09-2011, 08:07 PM
Looks very functional and fits the style of the boat. Bet you notice it if you have to tow it any distance ;^)

mitch_wahoo
13-09-2011, 06:34 AM
Yeh it would create a bit of drag, but i guess any hardtop boat would be like that, or worse if they had a sunvisor sticking out the front of the hardtop. Lucky the boat ramp is only 15mins away :)

mal555
13-09-2011, 03:50 PM
Nice job MW, just keep regular coatings of a rainex type of product and she'll be fine.

mitch_wahoo
13-09-2011, 06:26 PM
Southern boater, which type of rainex is safe to use on the perspex? The shop i brought it from said not to use any products, just warm soapy water

mal555
14-09-2011, 12:52 PM
Southern boater, which type of rainex is safe to use on the perspex? The shop i brought it from said not to use any products, just warm soapy water

Yeah well, I could be leading you astray Mitch. Although I have been lavishly coating all my windows for years, front ones glass and side ones perspex, with no detrimental effect, they do say (after reading the instructions) not to use on plastic, or seek manufacturers advice.

I also use 'Plexus' on plastic clears which beads up the water for a similar effect, and that is definitely designed for perspex and plastic products.

mitch_wahoo
15-09-2011, 06:13 AM
Ok thanks for that I'lll look into the plexus product, sounds like a goer.

Mitch