PDA

View Full Version : perfect morning off caloundra,

brenno360
30-08-2011, 02:46 PM
hi everyone,

today would have to have be one of the flattest days all year, by far the best i have been out in, so anyway we went out first light this morning off caloundra to usual spot and there was lots of show on the sounder, but for the first hour we struggled to entice any keepers to take our bait, with only 3 fish in the esky after an hour n a half it seems to be a long fruitless morning ahead, but we changed spots n with half hour till the top of the tide the fish came on the bite, we started landing nice fish one after the other, we got bitten off 4 times just on squid, the floating livey out the back got smashed with some acrobatics from a mackerel but unfortunately it also bit me off before i could even pick up the rod, all in all ended up with 13 fish, even managed to a a 37cm bream, would have to be the biggest bream i have caught so far,

cheers brenno

Shawn 66
30-08-2011, 03:36 PM
hi everyone,

today would have to have be one of the flattest days all year, by far the best i have been out in, so anyway we went out first light this morning off caloundra to usual spot and there was lots of show on the sounder, but for the first hour we struggled to entice any keepers to take our bait, with only 3 fish in the esky after an hour n a half it seems to be a long fruitless morning ahead, but we changed spots n with half hour till the top of the tide the fish came on the bite, we started landing nice fish one after the other, we got bitten off 4 times just on squid, the floating livey out the back got smashed with some acrobatics from a mackerel but unfortunately it also bit me off before i could even pick up the rod, all in all ended up with 13 fish, even managed to a a 37cm bream, would have to be the biggest bream i have caught so far,

cheers brenno
Bloody good result mate.
Shawn

Bazzawookooka
30-08-2011, 03:39 PM
Brenno,

Excellent work mate - good to see there's someone getting out and amongst them.

Have you been using the Caloundra bar, or coming from elsewhere??

If the bar, can you give us a heads-up on it's condition at the moment?

Cheers,

Steve

brenno360
30-08-2011, 03:53 PM
thanks guys,

hey Steve yer been using the caloundra bar, has been changing rather rapidly over the last few months, but at the moment it seems to have busted through the main sand bank at the back making it run slightly left after u pass the tip of bribie, if i had to give one suggestion, if u can try n plan your trip so your not coming in or out at least an hour ether side of low tide, i nearly got caught out about a month ago, managed to cross it in about 500-600mm of water, when i crossed the bar today at 540am there was 1.7m of water, on the way back in at about 11am the lowest it got was 1.8m and it stil has waves breaking nearly all along it, but all in all its better now than it was a month ago,

cheers brenno

TREVELLY
30-08-2011, 04:55 PM
Well done Brenno.

Rough it ain't !

Hears to a wild mack season! :beer:

brenno360
30-08-2011, 05:04 PM
i would just like to add i have never caught a mackerel before ether,
so im supper keen to get my hands on one,

brenno

fisho8
30-08-2011, 05:46 PM
Well done Brenno good catch there mate Thanks for th report.

Vitamin Sea
30-08-2011, 06:04 PM
Nice catch Brenno, love those grassies.

That's not a trigger fish front RHS is it?

Cheers

Boat Hog
30-08-2011, 06:13 PM
Nice mixed bag there Brenno.;D Looks like you were doing it tough out there with the conditions.8-)

Cheers,

brenno360
30-08-2011, 06:57 PM
hey vit yer it is a trigger fish y is that? i see u also updated your boat how big is it n what have u got on the back?

cheers hog, it was awesome,

brenno

B U Z Z I N
30-08-2011, 07:06 PM
good weather and good mixed bag there brenno ... well done
troy

thelump
31-08-2011, 07:58 AM
Great catch Brenno but I would be wary eating that trigger fish. Apparently one of the biggest carriers of ciguatera. Maybe what was biting you off too! The rest of them look delicious mate. Well done

logga77
31-08-2011, 08:24 AM
Hey Brenno

Nice catch plenty of fish for the freezer
I went across the bar this morning at hi tide plenty of room
we fished on some coffee rock five mins from the bar. like you said it was like a sheet of glass
but we had to sound around for a bit till we found a good spot and then started pulling them in end up with 4 nice 500mm snapper
and a 400mm sweetlip.
we left it late coming in cause fish were on the bit and crossed the bar 1/2 hour before low tide it was pretty hairy as wind picked up and was really sloppy, not nice in a 4.3 tinny.
still nice day with some nice fish.

Logga

Vitamin Sea
31-08-2011, 01:34 PM
hey vit yer it is a trigger fish y is that? i see u also updated your boat how big is it n what have u got on the back?

brenno

Haines 635 Challenger with twin 90 Hondas Brenno

brenno360
31-08-2011, 03:18 PM
Hey Brenno

Nice catch plenty of fish for the freezer
I went across the bar this morning at hi tide plenty of room
we fished on some coffee rock five mins from the bar. like you said it was like a sheet of glass

crossed the bar 1/2 hour before low tide it was pretty hairy as wind picked up and was really sloppy, not nice in a 4.3 tinny.

Logga

hey logga cheers mate, but none of it will be in the fridge long enough to hit the frezer, dad my brother and i usually eat that in 3 or 4 days, did 2 trip one week one on tuesday the other on thursday, endend up with a total of 22 fish, i took us 6 days of having it for lunch and dinner, but what suprized me is it only took a week before i wanted more...

hope it stays glassy cos we are heading out tomorrow morning first thing again, got to take advantage of the good weather while its around,

when we came back across the bar yesterday it was fairly choppy just inside the bar, but its not nice goin through in any sized boat, i know it always has me on edge...

brenden

hallcomp01
31-08-2011, 08:09 PM
Awesome feed mate, love the leathery in there.. The tarwine(bream) is snapper class, perfect mixed grill..

brenno360
31-08-2011, 08:13 PM
Awesome feed mate, love the leathery in there.. The tarwine(bream) is snapper class, perfect mixed grill..

thanks hall, should be a good feed, do you eat leather jacket often?
yer its funny none of the bream we catch out there have much meat on them...

brenden

Vitamin Sea
31-08-2011, 08:21 PM

brenno

Hey Brenno

I was/am under the assumption they are a no take (poison, Cig or similar) ? Catch heaps of the bloody things at 1770, very different to jackets, may want to check it out fella

Cheers

brenno360
31-08-2011, 08:24 PM
hey vit, i didnt know that i will see what info i can did up on them, i have eaten them in the past n they r not ta bad eating but better safe then sorry...

brenden