PDA

View Full Version : Tilt Tube Drama

Dirtfloor
29-08-2011, 01:54 PM
Hi Guys, I've bought this outboard that used to have hydraulic steering, and the shaft that goes through the tilt tube is stuck solid. I need to get it out so I fit a new steering set up. WD40, bashing with a hammer and trying to twist it with a stilsons didn't work. Any Ideas?
Thanks

Noelm
29-08-2011, 01:58 PM
heat, more heat, then heat it some more, or replace the tilt tube!

Dirtfloor
29-08-2011, 02:03 PM
You mean as in Oxy?!!

Dirtfloor
05-09-2011, 04:21 PM
Hi Guys, further to my earlier drama, the tilt tube in the outboard, (Johnson 225), does it screw in or is it pushed in and held in place by the nuts. I can't tell by looking at it and I thought "why guess when I can ask you guys at Ausfish."
Thaaanks!!!

Steeler
05-09-2011, 04:45 PM
All else fails run it down to Bill's at Kurri down behind the workies.

Spaniard_King
05-09-2011, 04:58 PM
it's a tube with threaded ends take the nuts off and it should come out either way.

Fed
05-09-2011, 09:45 PM
Is the tilt tube seized as in the motor won't tilt up & down or do you have an old steering rod stuck inside the tilt tube?

dreemon
06-09-2011, 07:09 AM
Sounds like when I had to do mine yam 90hp, bullhorn style steering? if it is then the best is to replace the tilt tube, I tryed everything and ended up with one from the wreckers $ 60 bux,

one tip for when removing/replacing it is once it moves a little tap the mounts to relieve the binding that will occur , sorta like a gap gun.

I was at mine with all size hammers and ideas for days, it was never going to come out, I was so angry with the bar stuck in the tube that at the end I flushed it down the toilet so it would never cause any one grief ever again ! ! !

8m weapon
06-09-2011, 07:17 AM
Gday mate the last one i removed i used the gas axe and very carefully blew out the steel tube and didnt damage the aluminium. Was actually easier than i thought. Was doing it for a mate as he couldnt afford the seven hundred dollar plus quote. Hope this helps.

Fed
06-09-2011, 07:55 AM
I re-read your posts dirtfloor, got it now.
If your tilt tube isn't damaged I'd go to any lengths to remove the rod before considering removing the tilt tube.
Things like remove the nuts then silastic & hose clamp some hose over each end of the tilt tube then fill with penetrene (forget the rest including wd40) let it sit for a few days.

A picture or a very good description of what you've got sticking out each end would help.

dreemon
09-09-2011, 01:32 PM
Dirtfloor, Did you end up getting that rod outa the tilt tube?

Dirtfloor
10-09-2011, 11:18 PM
No Mate I stopped trying. I got the tube off the mount and heated it and bashed it. I got it to move about half an inch then I found a new second hand one for 45 dollars. I figured with the cost of gas and the blood sweat and tears (not to mention all the money in the swear jar!) required to drive it another foot I was better off just replacing it. Still I've got to thank all you guys for the input. I know a lot more about tilt tubes now!! Also the members of this site are real good. Some of the sites I've visited looking for help don't get a reply for days, if at all. So glad I joined up.

Dirtfloor
10-09-2011, 11:19 PM
Must be an awsome toilet!!!

dreemon
11-09-2011, 07:43 PM
Nah, the toilets not that good apperently, That damn tilt tube seems to be lodged in the S bend and giving me the Sh!ds,

you got more lucky than me getting yours to move 1/2 in ! ! my threaded side ended up looking like a mushroom and never budged a mm.

happy it worked out for ya, Cheers