PDA

View Full Version : electric motor for a 4.2m cc

rando
28-08-2011, 09:12 PM
How big an electric do I have to get for a clark abalone cc . Fishing the river,or creeks
Does anyone have any experience with JW Watersnake electrics

rando

Kondo 1
28-08-2011, 09:54 PM
Not specifically the watersnakes, a mate did have one on his old boat and he reckoned it went well and no dramas...

I have a 55lb MK on a 4.55 Seajay Territory, it is "just" adequate - a 24v would probably be a touch better, on my old 4.1 I had the same 55lb electric and it worked a treat so I would suggest the 55lb would be the way to go. Saves you the extra muck around and cost of a 24v system which you wont really need anyway.

Mike Delisser
28-08-2011, 10:14 PM
Rivers & creeks = current, so you'll really need a bow mount model to be able to hold or push up. Make sure the shaft is long enough for your style of boat too. I recon a 50 - 55 would suit. I have a 4.35mt with a 55 that handles almost everything though there's been 1 or 2 times a little more would've been handy. In the past I've always owned Minnkotas (4) but my current boat has a 55 Motorguide wireless, it has a couple of issues but not bad ones. Even so I'll be buying another Kota next, prob the i-pilot model, the anchor and save track and follow features are the ducks guts. I wouldn't buy a Water Snake myself unless I had no other option (any electric is better than no electric). I've fixed a few for mates and they quite cheap. They wear out quicker than the big 2 and I found parts are very very hard to get and a long wait. After he initially boasted about the price, a guy I work with tells me after every fishing trip he hate his Snake and wishes now he waited and bought a Kota or a MG. Though I must say Jarvis Walker (Water Snake) are certainly good for any probs in the waranty period.
Hope this helps.
Cheers

rando
29-08-2011, 03:00 PM
Thanks Mike.
I saw BCF has 18lb WSs for $99 and was not sure if that was enough grunt for my rig..... obviously not.
though I only have a 40 yammy on mine, still tooo small for what i need and stern mount as well.

Mike Delisser
29-08-2011, 04:34 PM
You'll be continually spun around in any current or wind with a stern mount, a bow mount will point up and the boat will just follow.